Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanVarcoe View Post
True on Encino!

I keep meaning to get down there but it's kinda expensive for a membership though isn't it?
You can take the adult class without becoming a member and then decide if you want to join and ride on other occasions. With a volunteer discount or a club affiliation, it's not that bad. http://www.sdvelodrome.com/#!membership/mgli6

Either way, Tuesday Night Racing is free to watch and still a blast.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Attachment 1697919497

Playing on my local track
what track is that? that strip wood surface looks beautiful.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
what track is that? that strip wood surface looks beautiful.
Meadowbank, Edinburgh, Scotland. It's a 250m outdoor African hardwood, with 44 degree banks and long straights. On it's day it's the fastest track in the UK, but that day has to be dry and sunny so not very many of them.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:17 AM

oh, i've heard of Meadowbank! it's a Schuermann track - the best ones around.

I race on a very similar track (NSC Velodrome in Blaine, Minnesota, USA), also designed by the Schuermanns, though it's not quite the same design - though it is a twin to the track in Barcelona that was used for the 1992 Olympics. Looks like the skeleton/drainage/apron is slightly different, but the surface layup is really similar.

Our track is not anchored to its foundation - it just rests on it. From the winter to the summer, the trusses move about eight inches outward as the track tacks on heat and water and expands!

So, yeah, I bet your track is ripping fast in good conditions - like ours.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:30 AM

This one was laid in 1985 for the Commenwealth Games (like your Pan-Am) on the site of the track laid in 1968. It has suffered badly due to the weather, but the surface is still good, it's the foundations that have started to rot and the council won't renew them as they want to sell the land for housing. We've nurtured many Olympians on Meadowbank from lanky streaks of piss to olympic medalists, including Chris Hoy and Craig MacClean. It'll be a shame when it goes but there have been many a great track meeting there and holds some great (and scary) memories
Old 05-04-2016, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
Alpenrose is it's own home field advantage.
Alpenrose was a blast to ride!

William
Old 05-04-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
This one was laid in 1985 for the Commenwealth Games (like your Pan-Am) on the site of the track laid in 1968. It has suffered badly due to the weather, but the surface is still good, it's the foundations that have started to rot and the council won't renew them as they want to sell the land for housing. We've nurtured many Olympians on Meadowbank from lanky streaks of piss to olympic medalists, including Chris Hoy and Craig MacClean. It'll be a shame when it goes but there have been many a great track meeting there and holds some great (and scary) memories
Yeah - ours is similar, built in 1990 and designed to last about 20 years. Most of the surface boards are good, but it's the trusses/supports, where the surface is laid up, that have started to rot. We pulled off a major repair that basically involved laying down a new support member in the underside, between each set of trusses (278 trusses/truss bays), and connecting them back to reinforcement sisters laid along each truss - a structural engineering firm that specialized in weird outdoor wooden structures specced the design. It took a fair bit of fundraising and is not a permanent fix, but it will get us another five years out of a beautiful structure.

I love even thinking about these and other tracks that are of such incredible quality - but in these very grassroots settings. It's hard to think of them as temporary, but, life is just a party and parties weren't meant to last.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
You can take the adult class without becoming a member and then decide if you want to join and ride on other occasions. With a volunteer discount or a club affiliation, it's not that bad. http://www.sdvelodrome.com/#!membership/mgli6

Either way, Tuesday Night Racing is free to watch and still a blast.
Thanks!

Man I really want to!
Old 05-05-2016, 08:05 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanVarcoe View Post
Thanks!

Man I really want to!
You should do it. It'll make you a much better cyclist.

Sandy Eggo's Tuesday Night Racing is/was very inclusive. We all race* together week in and week out so you get to know people.

Races are short. Try a tactic. If it doesn't work, try something else next race. If it STILL doesn't work, you have a third, then the final to try something different.

I can tell you that *I'M* not the 'breakaway guy' that can hold big watts for the last few laps. Tried it on more'n a few occasions. Failed in all of em. Coming out of turn 4 for the line? I've got the ooomph to get around people.

M
Old 05-05-2016, 02:12 PM

I loved the Saturday Masters racing at TT

I used to race in the early mornings in the CRCA races in NYC, then hop in my car and drive to Trexlertown to do the masters racing in the afternoon. I got to race at TT with some great masters racers and people I later encountered on this forum, like Tom Kellogg. The racing was great! I since moved to a place where the nearest track (still TT) is prohibitively far away (Kissena doesn't count but is still 3 1/2 hours at a minimum). I wish there was one closer. There is no better way to gain bike handling skills, and after doing mass start events on the track, you never again will be intimidated by the close quarters in a criterium or in a pack. If you have an opportunity to do a track day somewhere and have never tried it, I highly recommend it. It is too much fun!!!
Old 05-05-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
You should do it. It'll make you a much better cyclist.

Sandy Eggo's Tuesday Night Racing is/was very inclusive. We all race* together week in and week out so you get to know people.

Races are short. Try a tactic. If it doesn't work, try something else next race. If it STILL doesn't work, you have a third, then the final to try something different.

I can tell you that *I'M* not the 'breakaway guy' that can hold big watts for the last few laps. Tried it on more'n a few occasions. Failed in all of em. Coming out of turn 4 for the line? I've got the ooomph to get around people.

M
C and Ds race Friday nights until they're upgraded. Usually you take the level 1 and level 2 adult training classes before racing on Fridays unless you have demonstrated the ability to be out there safely in some other way - usually via some other track.

We do have longer scratch, points and Madison racing - up to 10 miles for A scratch races.

It is very accessible and inclusive. Also, TNR is just a great time to hang out and BYOB.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:38 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
C and Ds race Friday nights until they're upgraded. Usually you take the level 1 and level 2 adult training classes before racing on Fridays unless you have demonstrated the ability to be out there safely in some other way - usually via some other track.

We do have longer scratch, points and Madison racing - up to 10 miles for A scratch races.

It is very accessible and inclusive. Also, TNR is just a great time to hang out and BYOB.
Got so big they added another night of racing?! Sweet!

Some of the guys racing when I was could keep track of who had how many points in their head during the A points race final. I was happy to not get dropped on the sprint laps.

M