Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2016, 10:15 AM
Administrator

NYC bike expo - this weekend...

Any paceliners stopping by?

it's more or less down in my neck of the woods, so i'm going to drop by after work on friday.

http://www.bike.nyc/events/bike-expo...rk/exhibitors/
Old 04-25-2016, 03:56 PM

I think I might try and make it down there
Old 04-25-2016, 07:28 PM
Pack fill

My son and me are doing the tour on Sunday so we will be coming up on Saturday early afternoon. We are staying on Staten Island Saturday night and taking the ferry over Sunday am. We are in the 3 Rd wave that does off at 8:45. My son does not ride so I am planning on about 4 hours. Hoping for dry weather.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:21 AM

The forecast looks dry (if a bit chilly) for now.
Enjoy the ride
Old 04-26-2016, 08:29 AM

Man I wish I could
Old 04-26-2016, 08:43 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
My son and me are doing the tour on Sunday so we will be coming up on Saturday early afternoon. We are staying on Staten Island Saturday night and taking the ferry over Sunday am. We are in the 3 Rd wave that does off at 8:45. My son does not ride so I am planning on about 4 hours. Hoping for dry weather.
3rd wave? Wow, the 5 Boro has come a long way. Like a lotta things in NYC, these events have grown and have become a behemoth unto itself.

You need not fret over the fact that your son does not ride - neither do the vast majority of the participants that do the 5 Boro - which has long ago morphed from an event about riding bikes to an extravaganza about NYC which is done on a bike. That's why this event has grown as it has. Not everybody likes bikes but everybody loves NY.

Have a good ride and a great time.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
The one time I did it, it took about 1.5 hours to get from lower Manhattan to Central Park, about 5 miles. Maybe the start is more efficient now.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:09 PM
Post Mod-ern

Yes, it's a staggered start now . . .

The first time I did it in 2007 it was one giant cluster F**k! They started all 30k riders at one time and it was a nightmare for the whole day. Now with the staggered start it is MUCH smoother.

The only downside is that the starting waves have nothing to do with ability, so if you're in the first or second wave you end up with Stravassholes from the later start times zipping by you with no regard to what's been mentioned above: namely that many of the participants are once-a-year phreds who have absolutely NO concept of road etiquette or traffic ability. Watch yourself!

Also keep in mind for the expo that there are a lot of unique items and good deals, but you need to get there early to see any selection. By later in the afternoon it's all pretty much picked over.

I'm skipping the whole thing this year. Couldn't find anybody to share a hotel room and if I went by myself it would be $600-800 for just one weekend when you count the registration, hotel, meals, schwag, etc.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 04-26-2016, 07:33 PM
Pack fill

What is the terrain like? I am debating if I want to ride a fixed gear bike. At least once a month I ride my fixed gear for 30-35 miles so it would not be a stretch to go 40. My biggest concern is all the cycling traffic especially at the beginning

Last edited by johnniecakes; 04-26-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
What is the terrain like? I am debating if I want to ride a fixed gear bike. At least one else a month I ride my fixed gear for 30-35 miles so it would not be a stretch to go 40. My biggest concern is all the cycling traffic especially at the beginning
It's pretty much all flat except the Verrazano Bridge. A fixed-gear is fine, as long as you have a brake. There are erratic riders everywhere.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:28 AM

I went Saturday afternoon. The two booths that I spent most time at were Abus locks and Arkel bags. Really high quality stuff from both of them, expensive though.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I went Saturday afternoon. The two booths that I spent most time at were Abus locks and Arkel bags. Really high quality stuff from both of them, expensive though.
i went after work on Friday. I think it was a nicely put together expo, good mix of bigger vendors and small time operations. i bought a cool new cycling cap and a nifty tail light. it was worth stopping by.