Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2024, 09:14 PM

So just to make it clear, I have no foot issues other than a high arch and while the current insoles are a big improvement on odd days I can still get some hot spots at the front of my foot, which makes me think the arch doesn't get enough support. So having considered the G8 for a while, 150 for the Retul footbeds, which is the price if added to the bike fit, is not much more than the G8s. Another plus for the retul would be durability vs G8.
Considered getting the custom orthotics, but wasn't convinced would make much sense unless I got them from a podiatrist who knows cycling.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Depends on what your goal and activity level is. They can "work" for me if the idea is no pain. If the idea is functioning the way I can/could without orthotics they don't work. I can't run anywhere near as well with them as I could before them, I can't stay on my feet as long in a day with them, I actually walk slower with them as well.

I couldn't even tell you how many DPTs I've seen over the past 30 years. Usually what happened is I moved, needed new orthotics, and seeing the same person wasn't an option. I have never had two DPTs recommend the same type or orthotics and they have never looked similar. Usually they make them in a completely different way because of whatever manufacturer they signed up with.

Another big one that bugs me is most of them I eventually made an appointment when the orthotics were seriously, seriously worn, and they would try to say they should still work fine. They'd be worn so much they would be tilting my heel significantly more than when they were made. Usually I wear the outside edge of the heel significantly away, almost to the point they'd break.

Cycling they honestly seem less problematic, but also really, really hard to get right without them causing hot foot or something else.
I see several things in this. The first being that your orthotics should be replaced every 2-3 years depending upon the the volume of work/exercise you do in them. If you are waiting so long that they are worn out and forcing your foot to be in a position they shouldn't be, then you need to be more diligent with the process. Regardless of what the DPT or podiatrist says about the condition of them.

The second thing is the understanding that your feet expand/splay as they age. The connective tissue in the feet break down no different, or likely more because of the weight that they bear, than other parts of our bodies. They tend to widen the most. I know a gentleman (Paul Marchese - Marchese Racing LLC, google and read) that makes speed skating boots for Olympic medalist skaters and is now experimenting with custom cycling shoes. A young man and former athlete of his that works for him and rides with our group was explaining the logic behind much of this to me and urging me to consider a pair of their shoes.

The last thing I would say is to reach out to Paceline member/sponsor Don Lamson. He makes custom shoes and could likely lend much more insight than anyone else. I hope you figure it out.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:54 AM

I'm actually doing PT at this point to try and be rid of them for good. Very interesting to do the exercises and kind of shocking no one had ever wanted me to do them. All these years and it was never suggested. And I clearly have asymmetric challenges between the two feet when I do them.

Has anyone actually measured the way your foot moves and provided any basis for what the orthotic is supposed to do? What does a static mold or laser scan of your foot in one position actually do to get it right? Our feet move, if the orthotic is a fixed shape which position of your foot does it actually work for? If they want you to put a certain amount of weight on it, how much is right? (Never had anyone ever have any ability to quantify that when they had me do it.)

If you pronate X amount, how much of that is the Orthotic supposed to correct? If you have Plantar Fasciitis, how much does the orthotic need to support you to fix that?

No one can ever say why they think the arch needs to be 1cm higher or lower than than the other guy. Some methodologies want the peak of the arch further back, others want it further forward. The previous two pairs they wanted differing corrections in my 2 feet. The most recent time they said no, they should be more symmetrical. For many years I had pairs where they thought I should have a little pad under the first metatarsal. Most recent pairs they think I don't need that.

There has never been any obvious rationale behind this, it's always just "I know better than the last person you saw." It's like the same thing as the crusty rude old bike fitter saying something different than the other bike fitters and when you ask why he says you need to trust him cause 20 years ago he fit someone that went pro.

There have been periods I was relatively happy, but always periods where I'm very unsatisfied with the whole thing.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:24 PM

As a fitter, G8's have been my insole of choice. If someone requires more substantial/firm arch support, I simply apply polly plastics to the G8 arch pieces to make them rigid.
Old 02-17-2024, 03:32 PM

If you want to try some G8s I have a pair that I ended up not needing and can pass them along for a good price. They are cut down to 44mm but are otherwise unused except for testing on the trainer. PM me if interested.
Old 02-17-2024, 07:55 PM

Got the bike fit done today (so close to what I had on my current bike, good to have the position validated. Some numbers ended up literally the same or within 2-3mm, the fitter was dumbstruck when he measured my bike at the end) and got the insoles. I did a 90 min workout after I got home, of course had them in my shoes during the fit and so far they feel sublime!
Will have to see how my feet feel after at least a 4 hours ride to get a proper idea though.
Appreciate the offer @CTracer, also I wear 45 shoes so it would have been a bit short.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:42 PM

So today I did a long ride (6.5hrs) and I can say this is the best 150$ I've ever spent on a bike related purchase.
It was the first time I did not think about my feet at all during such a long ride, except when I remembered that I didn't think about my feet about 3 hours into the ride :-P.
What a wonderful feeling!!!!!
Old 02-27-2024, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
The problem is even going to a Podiatrist is there is no science behind any of it in terms of how they design it for your foot. My most recent pair was just a computer algorithm, no different than a bike fit computer algorithm based on predictions. It had no data on what my knees or hips were doing or anything. It literally only had an input of a laser scan of my feet when they weren't bearing weight.

All their science is poorly controlled studies based on whether people though they were more comfortable. It's more an art form than anything. Some of it they will define some measurement of how much your ankle moves with and without it and declare success if they change your ankle to moving differently. But they can't explain why some people have movements they deem bad but they have no pain and no problem with function or performance. They can't explain why a video of elite runners or other athletes shows a bunch of them with movements they deem faulty.

In terms of how high they should make it for your particular arch, how high a metatarsal button should be, what should a correction be for just walking for squatting versus pedaling a bike? None of that has ever been studied and everyone's feet are so different they haven't even started to really understand it.

Pretty much every pair of custom orthotics I had (many, many pairs over almost 30 years) seemed to put my foot in a position that was OK when walking, removed all ability for my foot to absorb shock when running, and overcorrected my foot massively once I was in a squat/lunch/pedaling position. They were all super uncomfortable for standing in one place as well compared to no orthotic.

So basically if you try it on and it's comfortable than it's good. Everything else is gravy and you don't want to spend more money on any claims beyond it's comfortable.

About 6 months ago I decided I was done with it. Working with a PT now on strengthening muscles that got weak from wearing orthotics.
This has been my experience as well. Have worn custom orthotics from several podiatrists for about 35 years. Sometimes they work great for a while, but there were always situations where they weren't correct. Then mine always seemed to interfere with shoe fit. So recently bought some standard Brooks shoes....the "Beast" model for overpronators, and gradually got used to them. Very comfortable footbed. They work best when shoestrings are snug, and seem to keep my feet the way they should fit. They have done some research on this themselves. Other shoe companies are doing the same. Google shoes for your foot problem, and see what it comes up with. May or may not save you a podiatrist bill. But worth trying. You can always take out footbed and insert custom orthotics.

Also....I ride my bikes with saddle about 3/8-1/2" lower than bike fitter wanted. I may have been able to ride stronger their way but am more comfortable my way. Less butt pain.