Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2014, 09:29 PM
Epic=No Smiles

I've got Blizzaks on the Ody and studded Hakka 2s on the Mercury. Happy with both.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
And if possible, is there a choice that could still retain some driving performance on days the pavement is clear/dry?
No, no, no. Soft tires with siped blocks and a huge sea-to-land ratio are always going to suck on pavement, and go away fast fast fast as they heat up. That's why they're so freaking wonderful on snow and in the cold.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
I've got Blizzaks on the Ody and studded Hakka 2s on the Mercury. Happy with both.
Unbelievable!!!

Christian, given your misspent youth, the pendulum has really swung the other way, hasn't it?

Time to get a 4C. (in April, of course)
Old 11-26-2014, 09:41 PM

Depends on conditions, of course

We've done Gislaveds, several different iterations of Hakkas, Hankook Zovacs, and now the Michelin X-Ice for the car. And Coopers, Hankook iPikes, and Michelin LTX Winters fro my truck.

For us, the Gislaveds and Hakkas were the best with the Hakkas offering better dry-road performance with minimal slippery-stuff compromise. What I eventually figured out was that the less-expensive options (Hakkas aren't cheap) are probably best for us because I end up replacing them sooner. In other words, I was running my Hakkas and Gislaveds for 4 years with the 4th season offering less function. With the Zovacs, I only ran them 2 years. New tires are definitely better...

We never tried the Blizzaks. From what I was told, they were a softer-compound tire that was made to be a year-round tire. I wanted dedicated wheels that were optimized for the season. This compound dynamic may not be the case any more...

If money isn't a big concern, find a Nokian dealer nearby and get what s/he recommends for you. If you're being a little more price-savvy, go with one of the other options and simply plan to get less service-time from them.
As others have mentioned, it's a night-and-day difference between even good all-seasons and a dedicated winter-wheel.

Per the spare set comment, we run separate wheels with another set of TPMS. We have to get the computer to recognize them, but it's still an easy swap. And if you're not persnickety, you can ignore the low-pressure warning if you're vehicle has that feature...
Old 11-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Yup, nothing to prove on the street. Slow as she goes.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:00 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
The only problem with that approach is how the TPMS might be affected by not getting a signal. (assuming your car uses a transmitter mounted to the rim)

Those things can add $50 / tire. The Integra ('97) didn't have TPMS. Not sure what happens with newer cars.

For the Subaru I've decided to wait and see if the AWD is good enough before actually getting dedicated snow tires.
Discount Tire installed the sensors on the wife's car for $30/each. Thought it would be worth it on her car, but didn't bother on mine. Just make sure you've got the original wheelset on (no (!) light) for the safety inspection and you're good. My old '95 Integra did really well in the snow as well.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:58 AM

Any snow will be much better than all season but I had this discussion with my neighbor who is a wrench for a local Honda dealer. He runs Nokians least expensive snow tire with excellent results and we live 10 miles from Lake Ontario where serious lake effect is always a possibility. Tire Rack's steel wheels to mount them on..........YMMV.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:05 AM

Dunlop Graspic

We use Dunlop Graspics on the two Honda Fits, mounted on steel rims, no TPMS sensors, so we look at the light all winter. Lived in NH for over thirty years and these did well, now on Martha's Vineyard where I'm the only one with snows :-)
Old 11-27-2014, 07:13 AM
Carbon-loving lifeform

I ran Blizzaks for years and was happy with performance and wear, but they could not be confused with summer tires in sound or feel.

Last year I got a new car in the winter and they put on Continental Conticontacts. I found them just as good in the snow as Blizzaks and shockingly quiet and responsive in the dry. When I switched over to summer tires in March I wondered whether I would notice a major difference as I always had with Blizzaks - I did not. Tire Rack rated Conticontacts better than Blizzaks last I looked. Too soon to speak to rate of wear.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:06 AM

I think we had a similar thread just a couple of weeks ago so you can probably find more opinions in the archives.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
The only problem with that approach is how the TPMS might be affected by not getting a signal. (assuming your car uses a transmitter mounted to the rim)

Those things can add $50 / tire. The Integra ('97) didn't have TPMS. Not sure what happens with newer cars.

For the Subaru I've decided to wait and see if the AWD is good enough before actually getting dedicated snow tires.
One thing to remember in very cold weather about snow tires is that they not only get you moving better, but they also help you stop considerably better which many times is much more important.
I can usually get through any situation with my vehicle by taking my time and driving cautiously but enjoy the stopping power of winter tires when the crazies get out there in this weather.

Last edited by SZWONDERS; 11-27-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-27-2014, 10:14 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:

Screw the pressure sensors, needless expense (including SUMMER tires).
Old 11-27-2014, 10:15 AM

Over the years I have used blizzaks, hakkas, gislaved and articmaxes. The Hakkas were the best but most expensive. The altimax were a good cost alternative.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Screw the pressure sensors, needless expense (including SUMMER tires).
My wife can't stand the tpms light on during the winter but it's not worth the expense in my book.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele View Post
My wife can't stand the tpms light on during the winter but it's not worth the expense in my book.
I have known people to tape over warning lights they wished to ignore.