Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2014, 06:47 PM
needs adult supervision

OT (but very timely): snow tire recommendations?

Today's east coast snow storm has accelerated my purchase of snows for my GTI. So I appeal to the collective wisdom here. Which dedicated, winter only snows would you recommend? Blizzaks are the gold standard, yes/no? Are there options that come close to them but are maybe a little less? And if possible, is there a choice that could still retain some driving performance on days the pavement is clear/dry? Thank you, oh wise ones.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Embracing my

I don't know if they are the gold standard or not but my rear wheel drive Crown Vic is unstoppable on Blizzaks.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:54 PM
caffeine fueled

Check out Nokian Hakkapeliittas as an alternative, very good ratings. I've owned Nokians in the past and was very happy with them.

Last edited by bcgav; 11-26-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Administrator

i have pirelli snows on my rear drive 3'er. it's performed excellently today in some sloppy stuff. there is a big difference between traditional lugged standard "snow tires" and more modern "performance winter" tires. the latter are not as great in deep snow, but are much better for dry highway driving and everyday road conditions, and work great in manageable snow and icy conditions. i recommend for any car you drive a decent number of miles on, go to performance winter tires. 90% of your driving will probabaly be on non-snow covered roads in the winter, after all.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:00 PM

A cycling buddy moved to Wisconsin and he is loving his Goodrich Blizzaks.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Today's east coast snow storm has accelerated my purchase of snows for my GTI. So I appeal to the collective wisdom here. Which dedicated, winter only snows would you recommend? Blizzaks are the gold standard, yes/no? Are there options that come close to them but are maybe a little less? And if possible, is there a choice that could still retain some driving performance on days the pavement is clear/dry? Thank you, oh wise ones.
It really depends on whether you need snow tires, winter tires, or ice tires.
In your vicinity, I'd suspect that a studless 4-season tire (not a generic all-season) like a Nokian WR might be a good choice for some better performance on dry roads than an ice tire. Someone without a traction control system and with RWD and who more strongly favors all-out winter performance on plowed but icy streets might prefer a studless winter tire and accept the steering being a bit vague as a winter concession.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:30 PM

Sold on Michelin x-ice. They work very well in a wide variety of conditions, and are quiet!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:07 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

With FWD you want a snow with the deepest/most aggresive tread available. This means generally something that will accept studs (but you don't need to buy them studded or use studs).

Highly recommend Hankook Winter I Pike based on son's experience with tuned Volvo C30

Just beware if you are even thinking about studs you need to get them when the tires are new and not yet mounted. Once you drive on the tire, studs are out.

Choice #2 would be the General Ultimax (?) - available from Tire Rack

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

I've had good luck with both Bridgestone Blizzaks and Nokian Hakkapeliittas.
Other good options abound these days and any good snow tire is going to be light years ahead of any all season radial.
You don't need to be too picky. A real advantage is to buy wheels to keep the tires mounted on. Changeover is quick and easy.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Blizzaks did well on my Acura (Integra, fwd).

They failed me only once, and even then, they got me 75% of the way up the super steep hill, but couldn't go any farther when I hit the 20% section. I couldn't back all the way down (dark and not enough control) so I backed to the side and let the rocks by the side of the road provide grip for the tires.

When I got out of the driver's side the road was so slick with ice I wasn't able to stand. I had to sit on my butt and slide to the back of the car, then over to the side and use the rocks, dirt and brush to make my way to the top of the hill.

In retrospect, it was surprising that the tires got me as far as they did.

Last edited by Louis; 11-26-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
A real advantage is to buy wheels to keep the tires mounted on. Changeover is quick and easy.
That's what I did. Got some steel rims & the tires, all from Tire Rack. After that I just got tires and had them mounted locally, then did the swap out myself at the beginning and end of the snow season.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:04 PM

^^^

Having a set of steel wheels with snow tires ready makes the whole process so much easier. One of the best purchases you can make.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:08 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

The only problem with that approach is how the TPMS might be affected by not getting a signal. (assuming your car uses a transmitter mounted to the rim)

Those things can add $50 / tire. The Integra ('97) didn't have TPMS. Not sure what happens with newer cars.

For the Subaru I've decided to wait and see if the AWD is good enough before actually getting dedicated snow tires.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:12 PM

My General Arctic Altimax tires worked well last winter… and 'cost-effective'.

FWIW, Golf tdi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snows.jpg (96.7 KB, 113 views)
Old 11-26-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
I'm using Pirelli Sottozero 3's on my Golf R. Can't attest to their snow capabilities yet, but they handled some early freezing rain/ice well. Prior to them, I had Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's on a WRX which worked great in our admittedly mild PNW winters. Both of these options are "performance winter" so you maintain some good handling characteristics on non-frozen roads. The Michelins last for at least four winters (Nov-Mar), I just gave them away and they're still in use.