Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2014, 04:47 PM

I like the look of those praxis cranks. If I were doing a new build, I would get those, chorus 2015 shifters/derailleurs, and then use the money saved on ee brakes. The whole package should perform nicely for the price.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:50 PM

thirdgenbird, I like your style.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
thirdgenbird, I like your style.
Thanks. One of these days, I will break down and do it. A zetti or peg would be ideal.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:07 PM

When I saw those Praxis cranks, I thought about putting them on my CAAD10. I've got a poor man's version of your build idea. Chorus shifters, fd/rd and S950 SRAMz BB30 cranks finished off with Planet X brakes. Um, picking up the cranks, BB and EE brakes would represent about what I spent for my complete bike sans wheels...
Old 11-26-2014, 05:31 PM

You do have the budget version. You even have large tires crammed into it like I would.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Vendor

I wonder why Fairfield has never gone and tested Rotor 3d+. Comparing the 3DF to the others is like comparing centaur or rival.

The 3d+ claims to be stiffer, and it's somewhere around 60 grams lighter. Graphics are changed as well. I'd be curious to see Rotor's top end crank. Also would be curious about the hollowgram.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
I wonder why Fairfield has never gone and tested Rotor 3d+. Comparing the 3DF to the others is like comparing centaur or rival.

The 3d+ claims to be stiffer, and it's somewhere around 60 grams lighter. Graphics are changed as well. I'd be curious to see Rotor's top end crank. Also would be curious about the hollowgram.
Comparable to rival? They considerably more than red, force, ultegra, praxis, and are on par with dura ace. I would love to see the 3d+ in the mix but the 3df is far from an outlier.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:54 PM

Stiffness is what counts, wight is not so important. you may think your legs may not have the power to really go hard, but a stiffer crank will feel more responsive.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:06 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Comparable to rival? They considerably more than red, force, ultegra, praxis, and are on par with dura ace. I would love to see the 3d+ in the mix but the 3df is far from an outlier.
Rotor 3dF is not a top offering from the Rotor brand

I'm not comparing on price, I'm comparing on the brand hierarchy.

Chorus is an expensive crank too, but if they only reviewed Chorus (which is also missing) people would say: where is super record?

My point is, the top offering crank of each brand should be a given in any comparison of top end cranks. 3dF was below the 3D and the 3D+.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
All those deflection tests may mean something to some of you, but it doesn't mean much to my old legs. My 06 Chorus cranks still spin good a lot of miles each week.

Not saying it may not be important to some. It's interesting to see how parts are evolving. And learn about the parts I'll move to soon as current stuff wears out.
As do my 1987 Record cranks on a(horrors), square taper BB.

Tests like this are always 'interesting'. Taking perceptions and urban legends, marketing(lighter-stiffer!!), mix with $, and get opinions.

Then these gents put numbers to all of it and then.....nice to ponder, I guess but in the grand scheme of things, it means little to the average 'enthusiast' or even pro. I doubt(hope), that nobody reads this article and then drops $1500 for a crank..based on the teeny differences between these tested cranks. Also pretty sure no pro is going to 'buy' a crank, paint to match sponsor's brand..so he can 'win' on his next sprint. At least I hope not.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:53 AM

Pretty interesting. I never thought about this really.

In the end what matters most to me is shifting. I don't care if I my cranks are 1.X% more efficient if every time I shift I am worried about chain suck or the like. Ask Andy Schleck what he thinks
Old 11-27-2014, 07:03 AM

Fascinating reading but they need a real world power output test using riders.

Energy is not lost in a spring, it is stored. Deflection in a crank is stored energy and (as they discuss) will be returned somewhere in the pedal stroke. This is almost certainly occurs before the bottom of the stroke. Accordingly deflection stores some of the energy provided in the most powerful portion of the stroke and releases it as power diminishes. Effectively it smoothes out the power transfer from your legs to the pedals. Doing so ought to reduce instantaneous peak stresses on your ligaments and muscles.

While a stiffer crank might feel faster it may just be producing similar total power with more strain on your legs. In a sprint stiffness may have a slight advantage whereas in sustained pedaling the more compliant crank might delay muscle fatigue, hence a real world test would be interesting.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
Rotor 3dF is not a top offering from the Rotor brand

I'm not comparing on price, I'm comparing on the brand hierarchy.

Chorus is an expensive crank too, but if they only reviewed Chorus (which is also missing) people would say: where is super record?

My point is, the top offering crank of each brand should be a given in any comparison of top end cranks. 3dF was below the 3D and the 3D+.
I get that, but just because it isn't the top offering, doesn't mean that it shouldn't be compared. I agree that the 3d+ should have been in the mix.

What I disagree with, is that the 3df is comparable to rival just because there are several levels above it. The 3df is right with the Ultegra and force crankset in weight and deflection at a much higher price. Just because it is at the bottom of the rotor hierarchy, it doesn't become a competitor to the bottom of the groupsets. Hierarchy in ones own brand is meaningless. That's like comparing a Lincoln mks and bmw 7 series just because they are the positioned at the top of each brand.both optioned out, the bmw is twice as much.

What would really be interesting is to see how 3df, 3d, and 3d+ compare and how chorus and record compare. In the Campagnolo example, both cranksets use very similar designs, the record is just hollow where chorus is solid. I wouldn't be surprised if deflection across both brands was similar.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 11-27-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:42 AM

I do agree with his comment on the Campagnolo UT 5th chainwheel bolt. It's a huge PIA compared to others. I like my crankset for all of the other reasons, though.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:50 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

When I went from square taper to Octalink I could feel the stiffness gain immediately.

...for about a week.

Then they were cranks again.

Everything since has been 'a crankset.' How much stiffer than stiff do you really need?

M