Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfsiv View Post
Tex,

I am genuine and looking for feedback from end users who have ridden this bike. I want to know what you think about ride quality, geometry, fit etc. I am doing my research and have found plenty about the company but want to know about the ride.

I am hoping that some of you guys will write something like: I bought one and liked it here's why, or I bought one and hated it here's why. Or I rode my friends and I think...

Thanks guys.

Oh and if you have a SM or XS Bossberg or Vlaanderen and want to sell it to me send me a pic.

Thanks.
I have a 54cm Bossberg. Is that too big?
Old 11-26-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
Btw, Crumpton now makes his own tubes, in house, for the T5
Oh, I love my T5....since you mentioned it.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:21 PM

So here's a question I have: why the super slack head tube and45 rake in the 54 cm size? Comes out to over 64 mm of trail, which is decidedly non-racey, in my experience. A quick glance at most road bike builders shows head tube angles are usually 73 or 73.5 in the 54cm size,and if the head tube is slack, there's usually some effort to lower trail via a high rake fork.

So...why the high trail? Any reason it's preferable on a full gas race bike? In my own limited experience, I've loved bikes with 73ish headtubes and grew to dislike the slow steering of the one I had with a slack head tube.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:57 AM

Coworker had an early one that cracked at the bottom bracket. This guy is really skinny. He inquired about a warranty replacement and they told him to pound sand. I've seen some up close, and the paint is really sloppy. I wouldn't personally. But that's just my experience. Plenty of people seem happy with them I guess.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:08 AM

Seriously, what is so cool about a Belgian-inspired design concept?

Question or, um, thought experiment. Let's say a Cat4 on your club team (of 200), took all the young racers in your club to his new team, and then used his skill set as an Ad Guy to create a brand. And then, let's say, this brand began to sell bikes which he "designed." Would you buy one of his $2500 frames over a Giant, Cannondale, Colnago, Specialized, Pinarello, just cos, ya know, he's a cool dude? I mean what else is there to say about these bikes?

http://www.usacycling.org/results/?compid=59115

Last edited by beeatnik; 11-27-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
never own/rode a RITTE but you can get one of these and have it painted like RITTE for like $70. http://www.velobuildmall.com/ Check it out the r-16 looks like a Cervelo r-series. wonder if it cracks like they do.....
I'm pretty sure the that paint job is not going to look anything like a Ritte. but I am pretty sure many of the name brand carbon bikes are made in the same factories as these open mold frames.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Question or, um, thought experiment. Let's say a Cat4 on your club team (of 200), took all the young racers in your club to his new team, and then used his skill set as an Ad Guy to create a brand. And then, let's say, this brand began to sell bikes which he "designed." Would you buy one of his $2500 frames over a Giant, Cannondale, Colnago, Specialized, Pinarello, just cos, ya know, he's a cool dude? I mean what else is there to say about these bikes?

It's hard to believe that he's a Cat4 with a five digit license number, but maybe I'm missing something.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:47 AM
kg

Quote:

To be fair, if we judged the quality of the bikes by the racing category or results of the designer, then there would be a very different pecking order in the industry.

I'm far from the most knowledgeable person about the backgrounds of designers and builders, but it seems to me that people make their way in the industry in a variety of ways. The real proof is whether people like the bikes. Some people clearly do like Rittes and the company has been growing from the start, so they are doing something right. We have enough legit information about them to know that it's more than just good paint.

For the record, I've never ridden one and unless my back and hips become more limber with age, I won't -- HT is too short for me. But with the reports I've had from people I race and train with, I would be open to it if the frame fit.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:56 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
It's hard to believe that he's a Cat4 with a five digit license number, but maybe I'm missing something.
That'd be me: 32347

I train enough to be a good 4, an OK 3, or a piss-poor 1/2

Oh, and even better! I've started my own 'bike brand' based on open mold frames w paint jobs on em

M

Last edited by Gummee; 11-27-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
He was a 3 when the "team" launched in 2009/10.

Anyway, he left LaGrange and turned an irreverent kit into a team because he felt that LaGrange did not devote enough resources to Masters and Cat3-5 riders.

Last edited by beeatnik; 11-27-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
He was a 3 when the "team" launched in 2009/10.
He must have a very accomdating LA to downgrade from 3 to 4.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Princess Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybike View Post
So here's a question I have: why the super slack head tube and45 rake in the 54 cm size? Comes out to over 64 mm of trail, which is decidedly non-racey, in my experience.
1. Front center.
2. Toe over lap.
3. Cheaper to only spec 1 fork -- IIRC only 3T makes a tapered fork with more than 43mm of rake.
4. Someone is going to say "wheel flop"

This isn't limited to the Ritte frames.

Focus' Izalco has something like 68mm trail (53 TT)

When Hampsten first offered the Maglia Rosa with an Enve tapered fork it had a trail of 65mm or so (~53mm TT IIRC). Now they offer the smaller sizes with a 3T tapered fork -- bringing it into the 59mm range (about neutral).

Framebuilders, lemme know if I'm wrong.