Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2014, 04:17 PM

So today in the perfect bad conditions, similar to the ones from the trip to Maine, I couldn't get up our driveway twice (once forward, once backward). The second time I backed up the thing it was okay (tip: FWD cars go uphill really well backward due to most of the weight on the front wheels which end up on the downhill side if you're going backward). Unplowed, with a good layer of slush.

Also, coming down the hill to the house I was in first gear, no brakes and the tires kept breaking loose. Road had been plowed but there was maybe 3" of snow on the road, with a nice layer of slush next to the road.

It was really slippery today, I think because the pavement was warm and everything was semi-melted next to it. I think it's better now, 5 hours later, because things are freezing.

This was in the Golf with the newer snows.

I cleared the driveway and called the Missus after the town plows cleared the road. She got home fine.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Administrator

off topic, but my rear-drive 3'er with pirelli snow tires performed like a champ today in some really sloppy stuff. due to a bad pump, the car has the traction control, ABS, cruise control and hill assist disabled. dont miss any of those for a minute. ha.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
off topic, but my rear-drive 3'er with pirelli snow tires performed like a champ today in some really sloppy stuff. due to a bad pump, the car has the traction control, ABS, cruise control and hill assist disabled. dont miss any of those for a minute. ha.
What pump works those systems?
Old 11-26-2014, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
What pump works those systems?
"dsc pump" - for the abs and "dynamic stability control"
Old 11-26-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
"dsc pump" - for the abs and "dynamic stability control"
Wow-This is the first such failure I have heard about. And that same pump provides power to cruise control as well? What year is your BMW?
Old 11-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Wow-This is the first such failure I have heard about. And that same pump provides power to cruise control as well? What year is your BMW?
it's an early e92. the failures are fairly common, it seems. the cruise is hooked into the control loop for the dsc unfortunately, so that's gone at the moment. the hill assist uses the pump to hold the brakes when the car is on a hill with the clutch in. it's totally not a necessary feature, but nice to have.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Administrator

car's been dead reliable othewise though. i do all of the maintenance myself.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:16 PM

You may already belong and know this: BMWCCA members get nice discounts on parts/labor from most dealers and independent suppliers. There are many ads in Roundel, the Club's monthly glossy magazine. OTOH a special tool/pump might be required to bleed the system after replacing the pump so this may not be a job for DIY.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:13 PM

Today was my first drive in slushy snow in the JSW. I have the OEM Conti Contact 17" all weather tires. Drove like a champ. The traction control is very good as is the ABS. The only thing that concerned me was the ground clearance or lack thereof.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:51 PM

I decided to bump this rather than bring the other sportwagen thread into the weeds.

TDI owners:

how is VW handling the regen cycle? Am I reading right that it happens activlely at around 500-600 miles and/or at 45%.

Does the car have a way to force a regen in cases that the process may get interrupted?

Have you heard any reports of DPF issues with cars that don't see enough miles to properly heat the system and/or owners interrupting the active regen?
Old 12-08-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I decided to bump this rather than bring the other sportwagen thread into the weeds.

TDI owners:

how is VW handling the regen cycle? Am I reading right that it happens activlely at around 500-600 miles and/or at 45%.

Does the car have a way to force a regen in cases that the process may get interrupted?

Have you heard any reports of DPF issues with cars that don't see enough miles to properly heat the system and/or owners interrupting the active regen?
Regen happens automatically. You can force a regen with VCDS but there is no need to. If you shut the vehicle off during a regen it will re-evaluate after the next warmup cycle and continue the regen. If you are doing short trips, it will run the remainder of the regen at the next startup.

No, no reports that I have heard of. Think of the DPF as a price to pay for keeping the vehicle past 100k.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like the regen takes a sustained 40mph or so for 10min. there are times where I don't do that for months at a time.

I asked about forcing regen because I think some manufactures will throw a code and require a forced regen if the automatic cycle is interuoed more than once.

Between the DPF, DSG service, and timing belt, these cars could get expensive at that 120-150k mark.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 12-08-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:56 PM
Old and Tired

I shall bring-eth back the old thread.

As part of our "sell everything, move to the states, then buy it all again" plan, we need a car. As a former TDI golf owner, I was way into the JSW, but my wife is truly scared by the "R" word: reliability. And it's true, my golf had plenty of problems.

Anyone want to defend VW in this fight?
Old 01-03-2015, 04:14 PM

Nope...had a jetta, truly a money pit, but great driving car.
I would only buy a new one and keep it about 4 years...before the repairs start.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:20 PM

If reliability is priority #1, don't buy a VW. Buy a Honda or Toyota.