Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2014, 09:11 AM
Administrator

any cigar smokers?

it's no secret that i'm a big scotch fan. i puff on a few cigars a year also, but almost always one on thanksgiving with my dad. sitting outside next to the fire pit, glass of 18 year-old something or another and a decent cigar.

my cousin just stopped by the house the other day and gave me a Rocky Patel Edge.

I know very little about cigars, what are some forum favorites?
Old 11-26-2014, 09:24 AM

I don't know anything about cigars, but I love Rudyard Kipling's poem about them.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...40#post1289140
Old 11-26-2014, 09:30 AM

That's like asking what is your favorite wine. There are so many really good cigars out there.

I will stop at Davidoff London on St James. If you can ever get your hands on one, get a partagas culebra. You, your father and your cousin can each take a leg from one, and it is nice because it adds variety.

Otherwise, I think a real cohiba robusto is a great smoke.

A cigar is only part of the equation. You need time and place to enjoy it. If you are spending time with your father having a slow smoke, anything is probably going to be good smoke.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 11-26-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:34 AM

One of the best I ever had was an Indian Tabac Cigar Co Churchill. I love the Don Tomas and Don Ramos stuff also. Avo was good, Santa Damiana..........so many!
Old 11-26-2014, 12:07 PM
You still here?

Like a fine red wine; big, flavorful, great mouthfeel and body, extremely satisfying, Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Gold. Been my favorite for many years and the one pictured in my Tequila postings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (119.1 KB, 277 views)
Old 11-26-2014, 12:21 PM

I only get to do it a couple times per year, but a nice pipe and some good scotch is a real treat.

On the even rarer occasions that I'll have a cigar instead, I like a couple types made by Drew Estate (Acid and Natural). I get the feeling that people who actually know cigars don't look highly on those, but I enjoy them.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:52 PM

I've got a couple I've been digging lately that don't break the bank.

Dunhill Aged Cabreras - nice and mellow, one of my current favs
Arturo Fuente 858 with a natural wrap - again really fine smoke for the coin

I also keep Arturo Fuente Curly Head Deluxe on hand for friends who don't appreciate the difference. Nothing wrong with them (cigars or friends) just not what I'm going to smoke myself.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:03 PM

It has been years since I have had a cigar (since I became a parent, basically). Back in the day, it was one of my favorite ways to mark a special occasion.

My favorite coffee and cigars come from the Nueva Segovia region of Nicaragua (you should be able to find these in most good cigar shops). A rich, earthy flavour. I need to find a cigar shop...
Old 11-26-2014, 01:04 PM

I am by no means an expert but some of my personal favorites.

CAO Brazilia
Alec Bradley Prensado
Joya De Nicaragua

Like others have said, there are many great cigars. I tend to prefer a full bodied cigar. Where I live I do not have a good humidor in town and I do not smoke enough to invest in a good personal humidor. You can find good deals on samplers from any online retailer. Get a good cutter and torch and check some out.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:32 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
it's no secret that i'm a big scotch fan. i puff on a few cigars a year also, but almost always one on thanksgiving with my dad. sitting outside next to the fire pit, glass of 18 year-old something or another and a decent cigar.
its almost a cliche', but the glenmorangie 18 comes in a gold box with a booklet for $85. easily the most affordable 18yo and dare i say a bottle anyone would enjoy.

No cigars for awhile around here - but agreed get a good cutter, burn the end and keep the mouth end from being soppy. I tended towards heavily peated islay with cigars - might as well go all the way down the path of destruction
Old 11-26-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

my cousin just stopped by the house the other day and gave me a Rocky Patel Edge.

I know very little about cigars, what are some forum favorites?

My favorites are Arturo Fuentes Hemingway Classics and Best Sellers (4" - when I don't want a 1 hr smoke). Fuente makes these with Maduro (darker) wrapper for the Christmas season, which gives them a richer, more peppery taste. My other favorites are the Ashton ESGs (and slightly more reasonably priced VSGs).

My advice is to buy expensive cigars so it doesn't come close to becoming a habit. I smoke a couple per month with some good scotch or port, or a really good beer. I can't afford to smoke more often, and Inexpensive cigars too easily can become a habit.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:04 PM

Cigars, beers, wines and Cognacs are very personal (and Whiskeys and Tequilas!).
It is the moment and friends that make them special.
I am a big fan of Arturo Fuente Queen Bees and King Bees as my go too and lately Liga Provida #9 as the special occasion. Although you can't go wrong with Diamond Crowns, same price point in the $13-$18 range. Or if you can find it Opus X.

And while it may go against cyclist as racing crowd go, I have come to a point in my life where I am no longer a racer, but enjoy the finer things in life, and bicycles are in the top percent of that.

I think know I cycle to offset the other obsessions I have.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:47 PM

Cigars are even more particular than bikes. I used to prefer nicaraguan cigars, but since I rarely have one any more, dominicans are a better smoke for me. I've smoke many brands, and nearly all had mostly good attributes. My favorite low cost cigar is a Perdomo made for the local shop in San Antonio. For my brother's bachelor party, I got a box of LaGloria Series R's. He still talks about them.

My main suggestion is to smoke it slowly and enjoy the drink and company.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:30 PM

I like a smaller gauge...favorite is montecristo no. 4...Cuban of course!!
Old 11-26-2014, 10:43 PM

My favorite for an "all around" smoke is a Perdomo Lot 23

I have several that I really enjoy as a finer smoke...Rocky Patel Anniversary, Montecristo Platinum, etc