Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2014, 07:31 PM

I've rolled tubulars, and blown valves out of clinchers after really big really fast descents in the mountains. It is serious business. Like easily could have died serious. I'd be riding disc brakes in the mountains these days, no question.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:38 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdoc View Post
I've rolled tubulars, and blown valves out of clinchers after really big really fast descents in the mountains.
How long were they? (time wise)
Old 11-26-2014, 07:42 PM
The B!

Quote:
There is an old saying in rock climbing; something I've done for the past 45 years (and note; I'm still here)..... "There are old climbers, there are bold climbers, but there are NO old bold climbers"
I got two words for you:

Fred Becky.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Now there's some great possibly deadly advice......
Perception of risk in the risk taker may differ from perception of risk in the risk observer. Folks who need certainty, "safety and comfort", are not risk takers and may have a hard time understanding.

Fear, playing it safe is fine and completely acceptable, however, this to many is actually the “no-life” way to go.

"Life truly lived is full of risk, to fence out risk is to fence out life itself"
Old 11-26-2014, 08:10 PM
Administrator

"a ship is safe in a harbor, but that is not what a ship is made for".
Old 11-26-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
The tough part is that in descending a mountain on a bike at 40+ mph you are dealing with potentially fatal mistakes.
Quote:
Now there's some great possibly deadly advice......
Thinking about all of this I want to be clear, deviating from personal responsibility is not my message, nor a right or wrong way, it is person-specific.
Descending on clinchers - unfounded fear? YES. Is there a risk in descending with speed, YES, it goes with the territory.

My advice to the OP, move out of that comfort zone, set aside the fear, risk of all those unforeseen reasons you mentioned which are small and unlikely to happen, focus on technique and enjoy the ride. Make sure your wheels, and bike as a whole is sound, thinking positive, believing in oneself is an important part of descending, mental condition can be as important as physical condition.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:33 AM
Strong Walker

Descending on clinchers - unfounded fear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
I'm curious what you've noticed. I'll be riding my first mountain tour next summer and would love some "what not to do" tips.

Most important: don't be afraid. The rest, as the video says.
Sorry, I'm a bad teacher n this. I've been a downhill skier since I can walk, I weigh next to nothing and as a city biker, I have plenty of practice handling tricky situations. I Also do my own bike maintenance.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
How long were they? (time wise)
Blew a valve out after coming down Bear Notch Road into Bartlett NH at top speed, passing cars the whole way down. I'm guessing- 6 mile downhills on either side? The valve blew out when I was putting the bike up on the rack, lucky for me..

Rode from Bartlett, up over and down to the Kancamagus highway, turned around, rode up and over again. This was an afternoon after doing the Mount Washington Bicycle Hillclimb on those same wheels.

Last edited by rockdoc; 11-29-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
I got two words for you:

Fred Becky.
I've spoken with a couple of people that climbed with him. Consensus was he is not very safe, pretty scary to climb with, and very lucky. Of course very very experienced. And in the mountains speed is safety to an extent......

rockdoc
Old 11-29-2014, 08:59 AM

Look at the number of people that ride bikes downhill vs the number that have died from a flatted clincher or rolled tubular. I've not seen the numbers but I suspect far more have died from just plain old crashing. Lets not even get into being hit by a car.

Going downhill on a bike within your comfort zone of ability is safe you probable do more dangerous things without even thinking about it.

However if it bothers you or is a legitimate concern don't do it. You ride a bike for fun and fitness unless your are paid to do it why do something that makes you uncomfortable? I like to go downhill fairly fast on my mtn bike, many folks my age think it's too fast, some think it's too slow. I enjoy it and it's a risk that to me is acceptable. I get close to the limit of my ability but try and not go beyond. I make sure my stuff works and is in good shape.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:32 AM

I do think about the heat buildup when I'm on a long, steep descent. I wonder how much the air pressure actually increases based on that heat and whether the heat will melt the glue on tubulars, which I no longer ride. Some tires have weak sidewalls and can blow out from the increased pressure or heat, but I've only heard of it, never experienced it.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
I like to go downhill fairly fast on my mtn bike, many folks my age think it's too fast, some think it's too slow. I enjoy it and it's a risk that to me is acceptable. I get close to the limit of my ability but try and not go beyond. I make sure my stuff works and is in good shape.
I also like going fast, dirt and asphalt. I think owning five motorcycles has helped me with descending. I feel the OP, struggled with the same fears, especially with oncoming traffic, the fear was always around that front tire. Making sure your "stuff works and is in good shape" and TRUSTING that front wheel, believing, visualizing it is indestructible was key for me.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:55 AM

Old adage in downhill skiing--Trust your training, trust your equipment.