Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
not only are you uncouth, you are also ignorant

pretty sure Paolo Bettini won Lombardia wearing rainbow stripes
I'm sorry if I insulted your Oscar Freire fandom. He was quite the rider when he was healthy. Wished he'd had a chance to win more, but the body does what it does. And yes, an oversight on Bettini. My apologies to another great champion.

But is Peter lining up for Lombardia? Or still too many hills for the greatest bike riderz evar?
Old 09-24-2017, 06:46 PM
Classics Fan

Rode this morning, planned to watch this just now. Unfortunately, Eurosport's link to the eurosport player revealed a big picture of the podium, spoiling it for me.

Ugh. Watched the last 10km. With the several KM gap when cameras were lost. Glad I did not invest a lot of time in this, I would have been highly annoyed.

Will have to read the recaps for all the details.

Damn, hats off to Sagan for another year in the rainbow stripes. I thought the hills would have been too much for him honestly, but maybe they were not as bad as reported, or there was enough time after the descent to lessen the impact.

Agreed, would like to see Sagan take on Lomardia. Why not? He's in good shape, why not use it.

Going to throw it out there, but one has to wonder at this point what value the the national teams are providing in the world championships. If Sagan can win 3 years in a row (he's obviously strong, not suggesting otherwise) with a fairly weak team. What are the other teams doing wrong?

It feels a bit like the tour de france, in the sense that teams are very risk averse and unwilling to make a big move... safer bet is to get your best rider to the finish in the group and hope that Sagan has a bad day.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
not only are you uncouth, you are also ignorant

pretty sure Paolo Bettini won Lombardia wearing rainbow stripes
Personal insults are not appropriate or allowed by forum rules no matter how you feel.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:19 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Going to throw it out there, but one has to wonder at this point what value the the national teams are providing in the world championships.
If you doubt the value of a team, just watch the last 10k of the Women's Elite RR from yesterday. The Dutch women rode as a team and won precisely because they did. Chantal wasn't one of their protected riders but once she got clear the two other members of the team (arguably the top two favorites to win) in the breakaway did their part to keep her out front. The Italian team did much the same in the Junior Women's RR.

Sagan is a special case....he doesn't need a team to win. I don't think you can dismiss the value of a team because of his victories.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I enjoyed seeing him mature and mellow out a bit over the years.

Too bad about Trentin. He was a good dark horse pick, but Italy has a new classics star in Moscon.
Don't forget, Moscon is the rider that was caught throwing N-bombs @ Kevin Reza and served a 6 week suspension for it. He's crazy talented but I have a hard time supporting the guy. Today's DQ doesn't help either.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
If you doubt the value of a team, just watch the last 10k of the Women's Elite RR from yesterday. The Dutch women rode as a team and won precisely because they did. Chantal wasn't one of their protected riders but once she got clear the two other members of the team (arguably the top two favorites to win) in the breakaway did their part to keep her out front. The Italian team did much the same in the Junior Women's RR.

Sagan is a special case....he doesn't need a team to win. I don't think you can dismiss the value of a team because of his victories.
And even if we're being kind, the Belgian and Italian teams are a mess of politics and trade team alliances.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:51 PM

Comparing Peter Sagan and Oscar Freire is not a bad comparison. It seems likely Sagan will have a bigger career in the long run but who knows.

Mentioning Oscar Camenzind's Worlds/Lombardia double is like mentioning Milli Vanilli alongside other winners of music awards. Holds no water. At least the other cheaters of his generation seemed to win other things.

Sagan is a generational talent and he continues to prove it. I'd love to see him line up next week for the Lombardia.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:25 PM

For those who have not heard Sagan's post-race interview...I for one fail to see what there is to dislike about this guy, but to each their own I suppose.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:50 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
For those who have not heard Sagan's post-race interview...I for one fail to see what there is to dislike about this guy, but to each their own I suppose.

His 'history', grabbing a podium girls butt, having a 'farge you' tshirt
Old 09-24-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
His 'history', grabbing a podium girls butt, having a 'farge you' tshirt
Huh. There's a pretty high vitriol-to-offense ratio then, but I guess some really disliked Anquetil's "antics" too. Seems all pretty minor stuff to me.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:18 PM
50 bpm

Sagan did not take a knee for the national anthem.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:10 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Sagan did not take a knee for the national anthem.
I say we send him into exile to Monaco.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:17 AM
ZhugeLiang

I dug out some old pictures...

Old 09-25-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I'm sorry if I insulted your Oscar Freire fandom. He was quite the rider when he was healthy. Wished he'd had a chance to win more, but the body does what it does. And yes, an oversight on Bettini. My apologies to another great champion.

But is Peter lining up for Lombardia? Or still too many hills for the greatest bike riderz evar?
"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Old 09-25-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
Sagan is a special case....he doesn't need a team to win.
I dunno, I wondered who stitched things back together from 4km to 1km to go and when I watched the overhead footage, though I couldn't identify riders by name, I did see a white-and-blue Evade helmets at the front more than once. Albeit ones not wearing Slovakian jerseys.