Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
My Look 585 Optimum has an English threaded bottom bracket and 27.2 seat post, Looks came from the factory with their own proprietary headset installed.

At a casual glance a Look doesn’t appear to have a ‘conventional headset, theirs is sort of hidden.

Hope this helps.
thanks for this info...it does help...and it appears you are right, the look headset might be a problem to source if the frame doesn't come with it...i'm checking with the seller...
Old 06-29-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picstloup View Post
thanks for this info...it does help...and it appears you are right, the look headset might be a problem to source if the frame doesn't come with it...i'm checking with the seller...
I would contact a shop in France which sells Looks or has contact with them. Or being in France maybe you will have success contacting them directly.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:30 AM

If the frame includes the split ring bearing seats you can use an FSA Orbit IS headset which does not include the split rings. My frame did not have the split rings so i bought the Look branded headset off Amazon which does invclude the split rings. It also included a metal crown race which i did not need because my fork has a molded crown race in the carbon. It also included a Look expander plug which did not fit my steerer tube because it has an oval interior shape. I used a Profile Gap Cap which fits from 1 inch up to 1 1/8.

The headset came from Mikes Bike in NB Canada. Took a while but no problem.
There is also a Cane Creek headset which does not include the split ring bearing seats.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:09 PM

Quite simply. Best. Bike. Ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20200629_100451.jpg (149.0 KB, 477 views)
Old 06-30-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel23 View Post
Quite simply. Best. Bike. Ever.
That looks sweet. Questions please. What size frame is it. And what is your axle to top of saddle measure. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:12 PM

The frame is a medium. Saddle to axle is just under 70cm. If I were racing, I'd ride a small and use a 120 or 130 stem.

I'll occasionally get on my wife's 585, which is a small, and it fits just fine. Otoh, I like the longer head tube and the less aggressive posture that the medium affords me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picstloup View Post
That looks sweet. Questions please. What size frame is it. And what is your axle to top of saddle measure. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel23 View Post
The frame is a medium. Saddle to axle is just under 70cm. If I were racing, I'd ride a small and use a 120 or 130 stem.

I'll occasionally get on my wife's 585, which is a small, and it fits just fine. Otoh, I like the longer head tube and the less aggressive posture that the medium affords me.
Thanks axel23. Gives me a good idea about my own position and what is possible. My saddle height 72.5, and i generally have a bit more drop, at least by looks of it, to the bars...
Old 06-29-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfCas View Post
If the frame includes the split ring bearing seats you can use an FSA Orbit IS headset which does not include the split rings. My frame did not have the split rings so i bought the Look branded headset off Amazon which does invclude the split rings. It also included a metal crown race which i did not need because my fork has a molded crown race in the carbon. It also included a Look expander plug which did not fit my steerer tube because it has an oval interior shape. I used a Profile Gap Cap which fits from 1 inch up to 1 1/8.

The headset came from Mikes Bike in NB Canada. Took a while but no problem.
There is also a Cane Creek headset which does not include the split ring bearing seats.
Yes--take a look at this Paceline thread where I was discussing what is needed. I was able to source the split ring/thrust washer directly from Hawley, who took over from Look USA. No retail part number on the washers--I had a local shop who had an account with Hawley order them directly from the Customer Service guy that I spoke with. I ended up paying them $20 at the shop for the hassle. Once I had those, the Orbit headset fit perfectly. At some point, there were headsets sold WITH the thrust washers, but none I could find now--except that Look that was posted--and I was unable to find that when I was looking.:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=225374

My RBR thread where I went through the whole project--Cane Creek number included there:
https://forums.roadbikereview.com/lo...-a-355647.html

Park Tools give you a good picture of the install of these headsets--they are not proprietary--just old:
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...icle-section-5

Microspacers are available from Jensons.
Quote:
Next place the tapered spacer tube on top. On the straight 1-1/8" Look steering tubes, this is usually an FSA carbon piece. This is where spacing problems usually seem to occur. Sometimes thin shims are needed on top of the split ring retainer, to raise up the tapered spacer so it doesn't rub against the top of the head tube. It sort of depends upon what tapered spacer is used. Most Look with the original headset seem to have two, three or four of these very thin shims in there. Thin spacers can be bought from Jenson, Tree Fort, Performance, etc.
Headset install instructions are attached--it shows the whole assembly.
Quote:
Specific feature of the steering assembly
and the frame:
The frame’s head tube internal bearing
assembly contains two removable inner
and outer bearing thrust rings, patented
by LOOK. These rings are installed at
the factory but may be replaced if they
are damaged… This system provides
added protection to the frame’s head tube
assembly.
This is not that proprietary--just first generation integrated. Giant for one used a very similar setup.

Edit to add a picture of mine--first setup with 3T Funda fork:

And a picture of it closer to dialed in:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/attac...1&d=1534716495
Attached Files
File Type: pdf headset_install.pdf (708.7 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by paredown; 06-30-2020 at 02:38 PM.