Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2015, 07:59 AM
caffeine fueled

Tough to say actual snowfall amount here near the MA/CT/RI border due to drifting, but I'd say at least 16" so far and it's coming down hard. Very light and fluffy fortunately. High winds are the main issue the closer you get to the shore which contributes to storm surge. Nantucket is without power totally off the grid, and Pilgrim Nuclear was shut down at 4am as a precautionary measure.
'97 Ti Legend

Yeah, Boston still feels like a blizzard. Well over a foot on my garbage cans and car, but the roofs are being blown off pretty well, maybe 6 inches. They are predicting another foot or so today, so still seems right in the initial prediction range of more than 2 feet. What's nice is that it is pretty light so far, so shoveling out the steps and making space for the dogs to go out in the yard has not been too hard.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:08 AM
needs adult supervision

Opened our backdoor this morning and snow tumbled in. Had to shovel off porch, steps and enough of the yard for our dogs to do their business...which they didn't because it didn't smell right. Shoveled bigger area. Damn, dogs can be picky.

Somewhere between 18-24 inches here, hard to tell for sure with so many drifts. Luckily, it's light, but shoveling the driveway is gonna be a back breaker. Oy.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Opened our backdoor this morning and snow tumbled in. Had to shovel off porch, steps and enough of the yard for our dogs to do their business...which they didn't because it didn't smell right. Shoveled bigger area. Damn, dogs can be picky.

Somewhere between 18-24 inches here, hard to tell for sure with so many drifts. Luckily, it's light, but shoveling the driveway is gonna be a back breaker. Oy.

Poor dogs. How can they pee and poop when they are trudging in 2-3 ft of snow?!?!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:29 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Lightest fluffiest snow ever. My snowblower was chucking the stuff 100ft+.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:31 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
Bad call by de Blasio to close all roads, issuing a $350 misdemeanor to anyone who dared leave their home.
(I can understand ticketing anyone who got stuck, but there are a lot of 4WD vehicles)

Welcome to the police state. It snowed so "shelter in place".

I'm gonna go play on my carbide spiked 600 thumper...
Old 01-27-2015, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Just back in from running the blower. real light stuff here, my machine was throwing a serious plume, easy job on the blower and the back today.

In honesty, i'm happy about the bad call. i got everything prepped at work yyesterday to stay home today and play with my kid in the park on our new sled. looking forward to a fun day of snowmen, hot chocolate and red wine.

snow days make you feel like a kid
Old 01-27-2015, 08:43 AM

a little easier here in new jersey ,about 10 miles from the atlantic anyways....its been been falling/blowin around in the powder configuration since last nite ,maybe 10 inches so far ....once upon a time i had 5 labs so my first priority was to dig paths thru the snow and small clearings for their business when it got really deep...they werent too fussy though,they were all good with walking and peeing male and female alike
Old 01-27-2015, 09:55 AM
Carbon-loving lifeform

Quote:

I did the same for my dog, and then blocked him from running right back in as the snow was blowing into his ears. He eventually powered through.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:58 AM

A first for de Blasio:
"The decision to shut down the subways entirely due to snow was the first in the system’s more than 110-year history."

Absolutely no reason to shut down the subways.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:01 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Going to head out soon to take a first pass with the snowblower.

Path to the end of the driveway and knock down the snowplow berm.

The rest can wait until later.

I am wondering whether we will have school tomorrow or not. They will need to clear sidewalks and remove a bunch of snow for parking, etc.

I actually hate snow days....

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:06 AM

Will someone tell this midwesterner (for whom snow is part of life) why the east coast, which annually gets a storm or two like this, refers to each one as historic and allows huge cities to shut down?

I've been living and working on the east coast of the US since 2004. Each winter there's one or two of these and the chaos is unbelievable. And each time even a few inches causes airports and roads to be closed. Mayors are practically declaring martial law in their cities, closing roads.

What is up with this? It's not like these storms are 'historic', which is the language that gets trotted out every year. If Chicago or Minneapolis or Detroit or Milwaukee (name your least favorite Midwestern city) panicked every time it snowed they'd just get laughed at.

I realized that Boston is getting actual high winds and a lot of snow. New York is getting enough to cause some real problems at the airports and on some roads. Yes, people should use common sense. Washington got about an inch and a half and schools were delayed and some closed. Really?

But why is every storm on the east coast treated like some once-in-a-century event? For the ten winters I've been flying on the east coast, I've witnessed this every year once or twice. So it's not like people can use the excuse that it never happens. It happens all the time.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Opened our backdoor this morning and snow tumbled in......

Sometimes I don't like it, but when its like this, the Dutch Door really comes in handy. Just keep a shovel right outside the door.

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dutch.jpg (100.8 KB, 123 views)
Old 01-27-2015, 10:14 AM

after sandy, the administration doesnt want to get blamed for "missing" another weather event...pretty simple rationale i think

so every storm is billed as the 100 year storm even though we just had one a few years ago

no doubt sandy was a huge cluster-you know what

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Will someone tell this midwesterner (for whom snow is part of life) why the east coast, which annually gets a storm or two like this, refers to each one as historic and allows huge cities to shut down?

I've been living and working on the east coast of the US since 2004. Each winter there's one or two of these and the chaos is unbelievable. And each time even a few inches causes airports and roads to be closed. Mayors are practically declaring martial law in their cities, closing roads.

What is up with this? It's not like these storms are 'historic', which is the language that gets trotted out every year. If Chicago or Minneapolis or Detroit or Milwaukee (name your least favorite Midwestern city) panicked every time it snowed they'd just get laughed at.

I realized that Boston is getting actual high winds and a lot of snow. New York is getting enough to cause some real problems at the airports and on some roads. Yes, people should use common sense. Washington got about an inch and a half and schools were delayed and some closed. Really?

But why is every storm on the east coast treated like some once-in-a-century event? For the ten winters I've been flying on the east coast, I've witnessed this every year once or twice. So it's not like people can use the excuse that it never happens. It happens all the time.