Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 04-20-2017, 02:01 PM

Rding from Erie to Wash DC route

Has anyone done biking from Erie PA to Pittsburgh? Is it difficult to navigate through sections that are not completed yet? Are there locations for camping?

I am looking to bike from Erie to Washington DC using Erie to Pitts trail, GAP, and C&O

Thanks in advanced
Old 04-20-2017, 09:37 PM
Everything is connected

The first day of the Escape to the Lake MS 150 Route used to run from Cranberry (North of Pittsburgh) to Meadville, which is South of Erie. All back roads and no paths. Perhaps look up that route, and then there are plenty of published routes from Pittsburgh to D.C., mostly on rails to trails.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:24 AM
powered by red

I have ridden from Pittsburgh to DC on the GAP and C&O. It appeared that there were plenty of camping sites, but I do not know, as we did the GAP and C&O as one ride.

I do know that the C&O has plenty of camping sites, with hand pumps for potable water.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:42 PM

I rode from Georgetown to Pittsburgh and camped along C&O and GAP trails, but this time I would like to continue from Georgetown to Pittsburgh to Erie, PA but I can't find any info if anyone was able to ride the Erie to Pittsburg trail as certain sections are not complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
I have ridden from Pittsburgh to DC on the GAP and C&O. It appeared that there were plenty of camping sites, but I do not know, as we did the GAP and C&O as one ride.

I do know that the C&O has plenty of camping sites, with hand pumps for potable water.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:26 PM

Here is a route that the Pittsburgh Randonneurs use that would get you as far south as Cranberry.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19648220

http://rothrockcyrcle.wordpress.com/
Old 05-04-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom2zoom View Post
Has anyone done biking from Erie PA to Pittsburgh? Is it difficult to navigate through sections that are not completed yet? Are there locations for camping?

I am looking to bike from Erie to Washington DC using Erie to Pitts trail, GAP, and C&O

Thanks in advanced
I have ridden from Erie to DC. There is a state bike route from Erie that passes near Pittsburgh. PA state bike route A. The Erie to Pittsburgh section is all on road. I am not aware of many direct camping spots on the route. It would be all private camping. When I did the trip I went from Erie to Pittsburgh and stopped for the day.

I have also ridden a few sections of the Erie to Pittsburgh trail. There are a few large gaps in the trail system so you will have to find your own route between those areas. There are a couple spots in the Franklin area that you can camp. If you have any other questions I can probably help.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:20 AM

Just did a part of that ride in reverse this past year, starting from DC.

The C&O and GAP are amazing trails, definitely spoil touring cyclists. Upon nearing Pittsburg, we left the GAP in West Newton to hit backroads up and around the city. A near hundred mile day got us around the city and connected with the Armstrong Trail, a growing rail trail north of the Pittsburg.

From there it was a bit of pavement pounding to get around Buffalo, connecting with the Erie Canal trail, and eventually, Fort Kent, Maine.

Oh, and the state bike routes are pretty handy as well, though I never used them myself:

http://pennshare.maps.arcgis.com/app...56bd2d2a85ec46

Last edited by ElHardeen; 05-05-2017 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Added link for map
Old 05-08-2017, 08:20 AM

Make sure you bring a first aid kit and keep a phone charged.

I hit an exposed root 4 miles east of White's Ferry. Opened a gash in my right arm down to the bone. One month later and I'm just starting to ride again.

The stretch east of Whit's ferry has numerous exposed roots and rocks.