Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2024, 09:57 AM

Wahoo (speedplay) PM pedals - experiences?

I’m thinking about getting a single sided PM just to help with pacing during triathlons, not for training. I have shimano cranks and was thinking of 4iiii but have read some pretty bad reviews lately.
Any experiences with the wahoo pedals?? I’m a long time speedplay user and don’t want to change that, so shimano style cleat pedals are not an option for me…
Thx!
Old 05-07-2024, 10:26 AM

I'm also a long-time Speedplay user, so the PowerLink pedals were the obvious choice. Don't have much to compare them too, but so far they work great, can charge on the bike and the Wahoo app is pretty good, with a recent update too.

I have the dual-sided ones, but I think the single makes sense if you're not looking for perfect training L/R data. I did find that my left leg makes slightly more power, which was surprising.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:59 AM

I have them on 4 of my road-going bikes (3 DS and 1 SS). I bought one of the first sets available and have since added more as I've acquired more bikes.

To date they have been flawless in operation and I get believable agreement between readings from all of the bikes. Battery life has been outstanding and as long as I pop the charger on once a month I never have a surprise.

I simply cannot come up with anything negative to say about them. They're easily the most trouble-free item of cycling electronics I own.

If you are interested I have an extra set that I may be willing to part with. REI had a pricing error on the DS pedals last year and honored it so I may swap those for the SS set and find a new home for the SS. At the same time I'm also considering building up a frame that I haven't been able to re-home so I may need the extra set. Decisions... Decisions....
Old 05-07-2024, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the replies. I should have also asked:
Any concerns whatsoever about them wearing out? Does wahoo offer a rebuild kit for the pedal bodies etc? I know my personal experience with speedplay zeros is that they do tend to develop rocking after a year or two with me.