Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2023, 08:28 PM

Giro Prolight Techlace/Imperial

Feels so comfortable, light, like they're not there and very well vented. Not a stiff sprinter shoe though.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:01 PM

I need help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2023-09-15 22.00.14.jpg (97.5 KB, 394 views)
Old 09-15-2023, 09:22 PM

I have wide feet so I like shoes with dual boas on each shoe because I can adjust the fit for both the bottom and upper parts of the foot. A recent tip I picked up from this forum is to get a shoe stretcher as another way to fine tune the fit.
Old 09-16-2023, 04:48 AM

Another Lake lover here. CX301 for me. At like 185gr per shoe, probably one of the lightest out there, and by far the most comfortable I've owned.

Previously wore the S-Works 6 and they just didn't work for me at all. The only good thing that came out of those shoes was getting the Specialized inserts, which I still use in the Lakes.

If you've got wide feet, Lake's may be the best option out there.
Old 09-16-2023, 05:46 AM

I also use Lake shoes. I've used them all reaching back to Detto Pietro.
Old 09-16-2023, 05:51 AM

I enjoyed the earlier S works models (S works 4 2010, S Works 5 2014). They served me well for quite a long time and fit me nicely. The change on the 6 and 7 didn't agree with me, I think more due to the upper being less stretchy with the Dyneema, and the length sizing seemed to be just a hair shorter.

Current favorites are some Lake CX302s, very lightweight, comfy upper, and very breathable in hot weather. I have them in size 45 Wide, which Lake recommended, though my foot width sits right on the edge of the normal/wide lasts.
Old 09-16-2023, 05:52 AM

Would be so nice if all shoes manufacturers had consistent sizing. Found a close out pair of lake cx1 carbon for good price but not returnable. I am literally between a 46 and 47 in shimano rc3 and am a 45.5 in specialized recon 2.0 i wonder if i would be safe ordering the cx1 carbon in 45.5? Anybody have lakes and shimanos to compare sizing?
Old 09-16-2023, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
Would be so nice if all shoes manufacturers had consistent sizing. Found a close out pair of lake cx1 carbon for good price but not returnable. I am literally between a 46 and 47 in shimano rc3 and am a 45.5 in specialized recon 2.0 i wonder if i would be safe ordering the cx1 carbon in 45.5? Anybody have lakes and shimanos to compare sizing?
Lake has a size guide that actually works. Give it a try before you order. I have the cx1 carbon and couldn’t be happier. They are the most comfortable cycling shoes I’ve ever owned.

-Bob
Old 09-16-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_in_pa View Post
Lake has a size guide that actually works. Give it a try before you order. I have the cx1 carbon and couldn’t be happier. They are the most comfortable cycling shoes I’ve ever owned.

-Bob
I decided to take the chance on them. $115 with shipping. they do not have the next size down so if too big won't be able to do an exchange but have the next size up so if too small I can. I am on the bleeding edge of the size chart
Old 09-16-2023, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I need help.
Same. I will only use SIDI.

I can finish a 1 hour ride or a 6 hour ride and my feet aren’t aching and bringing tears to my eyes. Plus, they’re great quality and durable. I also clean mine and air them out between rides, including taking out the insole. I rotate through two pair and they’re a decade old, at least.
Old 09-16-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_in_pa View Post

-Bob
I learned I should use a wide shoe in the 2 series after using Lakes size guide. I had never worn any shoe in a wide width regardless if cycling or off the bike and I still don’t unless you count Altra Lonepeak trail shoes. The wide lakes made such an immediate difference in comfort! I was able to size down a half size helping place the cleat in a better position.
Old 09-16-2023, 05:11 PM

Giro Imperial. I've generally found Giro fits my foot really well, and Imperials check all the boxes: super comfortable upper, rock solid sole (s/o Easton EC90; i like the old Factor Techlace for the same reason), incredibly light, and breathable. Unfortunately they aren't very durable. The finish on the upper tends to peel and I've had issues with the BOA dials. Unfortunately Giro doesn't sell the boa base (the part sewn into the shoe, not the dial - boa is great about replacements), so my current ones are toast. Will grab another pair if I find them lightly used, but hard to justify the MSRP
Old 09-18-2023, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torelli View Post
I have had two pair of Empires myself, the slx version and hands down the best shoes I have used in 30 years of riding. Like you I have narrow feet and every shoe I have used I would have to tighten the boa dials or velcro straps all the way to get a snug fit. With laces this isn't a problem. Sure it's a little extra time to tie them but once you get them dialed in as far as how tight to tie them they are the best. Great looking shoes too, imo.
This and the post above essentially explains what I also like about the empire Slx's. I have BOAs on my mtb shoes and one thing I don't like about them is getting the same fit all the time is tricky (where did I have these damn things last time). The nice thing w/ BOAs is you can loosen or tighten as you ride but as the post above states, when you have narrow feet you really gotta ratchet down the BOAs which can leave the material on the shoe constricted and as the shoe gets tighter and depending on how the material tightens, I've found it can grab my sock underneath and make a mess (Shimano MTB shoes are the worst at this with the Specialized being less bad).
Old 09-18-2023, 07:21 AM

I have Giro empires, the soles have a slight crack after 3 years of heavy use. I like the fit and like how the laces work. SUPER light (must weigh 1/2 of what the Sidis they replaced). Now using a pair of Fizik Tempo Decos which have the single BOA dial, and find them a great shoe, similarly light. The single boa needs tightening periodically during a ride however. Fizik's run a full size smaller for me vs Sidi and Giro..
Old 09-19-2023, 04:36 AM

Shoe agnostic here, my longest serving were a pair of Adidas Pro Road (2x velcro and latch strap) in 45.5 which I threw out earlier this year.
Currently have Sidi 46 wide and Sidi 46 (both 2x velcro and latch strap) and a pair of DMT boa in 45.5. I think possibly the DMT have the edge for sheer comfort (they just don't even feel like they're done up that tight) and they are very very light.