Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 05:42 PM

Fitter

Don't mistake an artisan frame builder for a bike fitter who can translate what they see into the best fitting bike you have ever ridden.
They may or may not be one in the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Mic-dropped.

The question of course is how to develop the self-awareness. Without instruction, it's kind of like saying, "hey man, just be present and everything will be chill". Sure. It's easy. It may take a lifetime to get there for some though. Others? Sudden enlightenment. And The Dude Abides.

Anyway, I'm hoping this current experience helps there. I've ridden a LOT of bikes in my day. Some I've liked, some not so much. I do wish I'd taken better notes along the way, but even without that, I could run through a list of things that didn't inspire me about many of them. When I get to the custom process, I'll be bringing all that to my conversation with the builder.

And I'll be going custom for three reasons:

(1) a good, informed fit from a professional who can look at me and what I'm riding, and help make an informed choice among the golden-mean of tried-n-true bike geometry norms - I wouldn't be looking for some strange geometry just for the sake of it being unique

(2) supporting an artisan and helping to keep the craft alive

(3) the fun of the process of getting a unique aesthetic design - logo, paint, etc.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:23 PM

I've gone through alot of bike (6) culling recently. It seemed daunting but I haven't had any withdrawal symptons. I kept only a couple of bikes, those that gave me the greatest riding pleasure. Who made it, the material, was not a consideration.