Old 06-20-2017, 06:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Have you tried typing in "ELITIST"?

potd
Old 06-20-2017, 07:14 AM
Randomhead

I don't know about them being the elitists, I tried to join this place when it was the Serotta forum and never could
Old 06-20-2017, 07:42 AM

if you readily sh*t all over anyone running anything other than Campy on their bike, you really shouldn't be calling other people elitist. never seen anything that childish across the hall, for what it's worth.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:47 AM

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

Seriously, those guys are so hip & cool.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:30 AM

Across the Hall

So I got thru the registration process, said I would get a confirmation email (never came)

Apparently the secret is only the letter B in the box for what has two wheels and pedals, someone said it is in text under the box, honestly I looked the page over and never saw it.

Very difficult to join to say the least

Ray
Old 06-20-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
So I got thru the registration process, said I would get a confirmation email (never came)

Apparently the secret is only the letter B in the box for what has two wheels and pedals, someone said it is in text under the box, honestly I looked the page over and never saw it.

Very difficult to join to say the least

Ray
You have to EARN your membership. Gotta prove you'e mentally tough enough to handle it. You gotta WANT it!
Old 06-20-2017, 10:34 AM

Tough crowd over here. The moderators on that forum, as most forums on most topics across most of the internet (and as I would guess here as well), have day jobs, families, and other responsibilities so registration approvals or other support can't always be immediate.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:45 AM

It ain't so bad over there. I joined it from Day One and there's a lot of folks on there with very deep knowledge of bikes and the industry. VSalon is a good resource.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
... there's a lot of folks on there with very deep knowledge of bikes and the industry...

There's there, and there's here. In very general terms, I would say one more industry oriented, the other more consumer oriented. That leads to differing mod styles. I won't say good or bad, just different. The common theme is the love of craft, use, and community as it relates to cycling.

So, enjoy what you enjoy, and have fun riding, racing, and lusting over the fine rides wherever they are.

William
Old 06-20-2017, 11:27 AM
Byron

Well stated William.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:51 AM

Great Perspective

Thanks for this perspective, hard to form an opinion without some direct experience. I try not to make judgements about folks or their intent so I try to roll with it.

I figure that there is likely something to learn "across the hall", hopefully it will have been worth the effort.

Thanks for the perspective

Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
There's there, and there's here. In very general terms, I would say one more industry oriented, the other more consumer oriented. That leads to differing mod styles. I won't say good or bad, just different. The common theme is the love of craft, use, and community as it relates to cycling.

So, enjoy what you enjoy, and have fun riding, racing, and lusting over the fine rides wherever they are.

William
Old 06-20-2017, 12:53 PM
the antiviper

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Good idea pointing that out. That will be helpful in almost every thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Have you tried typing in "ELITIST"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
potd
Quote:
Originally Posted by godukes View Post
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

Seriously, those guys are so hip & cool.
Why are you all so hostile and insulting? After all these years another cycling website is still making you feel bad?

We're glad you joined, Bentley.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:22 PM

I feel like the atmosphere over at the Velocipede Salon has improved greatly in recent years, as some of the worst offenders were shown the door and new members raised the level of discourse. For a while, no, it was not a friendly place unless you were one of the anointed. Nowadays, it is one of the more civil message boards out there, and the collective membership has a breadth and depth of knowledge (and the willingness to share it) that is refreshing, much like the Paceline. Sure, traces of the old elitism remain, especially among a few of the aforementioned inner circle, but by and large it is a nice place to hang out and, despite my best efforts, I never fail to learn something. My two cents.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstar View Post
I feel like the atmosphere over at the Velocipede Salon has improved greatly in recent years, as some of the worst offenders were shown the door and new members raised the level of discourse. For a while, no, it was not a friendly place unless you were one of the anointed. Nowadays, it is one of the more civil message boards out there, and the collective membership has a breadth and depth of knowledge (and the willingness to share it) that is refreshing, much like the Paceline. Sure, traces of the old elitism remain, especially among a few of the aforementioned inner circle, but by and large it is a nice place to hang out and, despite my best efforts, I never fail to learn something. My two cents.
Improved atmosphere, meaning what? Its online, people occasionally forget there's real people on the other end of the wire just like anywhere. It's more actively moderated by "the inner circle" than most forums including here, so that's good IMO as "discussions" sometimes turn personal or just stupid- which is probably the source of some of the derision from some here on this "side of the hall". I'm certainly among the "un-annointed" ( the term makes me laugh, what the heck does it mean) but I've asked plenty of naive/noob questions, blustered occasionally about subjects of my league (both on and off bike topics) and occasionally "corrected" by the cogniscenti, but always felt respected and welcome, and I've learned a hell of a lot (both on and off bike). And geez, if you were to ever meet the "inner circle guys", better yet go for a ride with them, you would realize how inaccurate the elistist, snob, whatever negative labels are. And some of the perception of 'elite' is genuine, in general they are some of the most bike- and cycling knowledgeable people to make themselves accessible in a public forum. And in my experience, they can all take a joke as well as call bull***** on forum bull*****, though not always perfect it's a nice place to hang out, and the first place I usually go when I want bike advice sprinkled with literary criticism. Peace out.
Closed Thread