Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2017, 11:58 PM

Help identifying 90s Specialized.

Hi everyone,

I picked up this Specialized road bike frame, someone has removed all the paint so before I get it painted etc I'd like to ID it.

All I know is it's alluminium, has downtube shifter mounts, was blue.
Looks to have the number 606 stamped on the inside of the non drive side dropout.

Apparently the serial number on the BB is of no use to identify Specialized bikes, so that's out.

I'm guessing a mid-nineties Allez of some description but if anyone can be more specific I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.....

Al.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:44 AM

It looks like Specialized recommends Bikepediafor identifying bicycles that are no longer viewable in their archive -->

"The serial numbers on Specialized bikes do not actually hold information (like the VIN number on a car). Our serial numbers are simply put on the bike as an individual ID number that can be provided to law enforcement in the event the bike is stolen. So, the serial number is not the way to determine the model and/or year of a bike. The only way to know for certain which year your bicycle was produced is to use the archive information available on our website. Our online photo and information archive dates back to 2002 (if your bike is older than that, refer to the instructions at the bottom). Each model will have a different parts specification and paint job from year to year and about every three years the model will go through a complete frame overhaul. Knowing this you should be able to visually verify the year your bicycle was produced by comparing it with the archived photos and simply use the process of elimination to find your bike.

The online archive can be accessed by going to Specialized.com. Go to the support section and then select the years as needed.

If your bicycle is older than a 2002 model, you can use other online resources such as Bikepedia to find more information: http://www.bikepedia.com/"
Old 06-19-2017, 08:57 AM

My guess: late 90's Allez A1. Supergo used to close these out for low prices at the end of each model year. See http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeS...Allez+A1+Sport

Greg
Old 06-19-2017, 06:39 PM

Agreed on the Allez A1. It must be.

KJ
Old 06-20-2017, 07:18 PM

Thanks everyone.

Using bikepedia looks like a 97 model Allez A1.

Haven't been able to find the specific decal set so will just get some generic Specialized ones.

Cheers....