Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2017, 10:40 PM

Best large seat bags. Discuss.

Looking for recommendations of larger bike packing style seat bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2017, 11:10 PM

Rivendell has designed some good ones. How big do you want. I have a Riv Hoss that is about as big as I can imagine using.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:23 PM

I like carradice bags, but they are a bit floppy for off-road. I use the SQR quick release mount and that helps a lot. I haven't used a rolltop seatbag like Revelate.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:07 AM

Revelator bags are quite popular and well thought out if you are referring to large bags not using a rack.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:40 AM

Here you will get whole list of packing bags: http://www.cyclingabout.com/complete...manufacturers/
Old 06-19-2017, 06:28 AM
Administrator

consideration should be given to the set-up of the bike, and the size. generally, most all of the options work if you have a larger bike with a decent amount of seatpost showing and plenty of room above the rear wheel, but if you are like me and ride size 50cm frames, there is a lot less available space in the area between the saddle and the rear tire, so not all solutions will work.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:30 AM

can you post a pic of the bike you plan to use it on, and intended use?

The Acorn I have on the back of my Ahearne is really nice. On that bike.

but I wouldn't want it on my Waterford (or any other bike I have)...

SPP
Old 06-19-2017, 07:31 AM
aka RAEKWON

I had a revelate bag and it was nice, great construction, can put a ton of stuff. However I did not like that you can't compartmentalize so I got rid of it. I now have an acorn (got it from the forum, great deal). Its a nice bag, a bit heavier and everyone knows how hard is to get these acorn bags. I think I would probably get a carradice but if you can live with no compartmentalization the revelate is awesome..

Also consider a half frame bag. I think its one of the best bags for a bike. Keeps weight in the center, light but you won't be able to carry as much.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 AM

I have one of the larger Revelate seat bags and of the few times I've used it, I'm not a huge fan. When it's packed to the brim there's some definite sway to it akin to having a big tail on your bike. The back of my legs also hit it every time I pedal, but that may just vary by saddle position.

Kinda wish I just went for a quality front rack and bag instead.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post

Also consider a half frame bag. I think its one of the best bags for a bike. Keeps weight in the center, light but you won't be able to carry as much.
very true
Old 06-19-2017, 08:01 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebraille View Post
I have one of the larger Revelate seat bags and of the few times I've used it, I'm not a huge fan. When it's packed to the brim there's some definite sway to it akin to having a big tail on your bike. The back of my legs also hit it every time I pedal, but that may just vary by saddle position.

Kinda wish I just went for a quality front rack and bag instead.
You cant beat a front rack if your bike is designed for it. I never experience much sway with the revelate, I loaded it to the brim but with light stuff. You dont eant the heavy stuff back there. I have a front rando bag that I put some heavy stuff and the rest gors in the frame bag.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:14 AM

Have a Revelate and love it. good luck
Old 06-19-2017, 08:15 AM

How do you intend to use the bag.... for road touring or off road camping? What do you plan to carry in it? Will you use it with other gear... frame pack, front carrier, top tube bags, etc?
Old 06-19-2017, 08:32 AM
|:||:|::|:||:|:

For a bikepacking-style seat bag I can't recommend the Porcelain Rocket Mr. Fusion highly enough. The little strut support keeps even an overloaded bag from swaying when climbing out of the saddle, etc. The system is modular too so I swap in a smaller dry-bag for shorter trips.

Heard great things about Carradice bags esp. if you are looking for a more traditional look, but I'd take my Mr. Fusion for any ride that took me off smooth-ish roads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seatbag.JPG (44.2 KB, 261 views)
Old 06-19-2017, 09:03 AM

I have a Porcelain Rocket and a larger Oveja Negra Gearjammer. Both are great with no swing. The bikepacking bags we use now carry more with easier tire clearance than the Acorn, Carradice and Riv style mentioned by others. I have a relatively small amount of seat post exposed on my Holland and I can use a large Oveja Negra Gearjammer with no issues.

I love my Swift Industries front and rear bags on my rando style bike (custom, MUSA - would be my choice over Carradice or Acorn) but beyond being stylish, the volume and weight penalties are too much to go with over a bike packing type bag on a road bike.