Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2017, 08:35 AM

Bike builder spec question and what would you do?

Would like to make a serious try at making a commuter/gravel/allroad big tire drop bar type bike before fall. So I removed the sliding dropout off the civia frame. Living here in the oil patch, there are a ton of machinists around, and as suggested here on the forum, I thought of having one make me a new dropout with a derailleur hanger so I can finally build this bike with gearing.

I have so many questions about this build and have no idea what I am doing. I am a total noobie with this type of bike. For example, I want disc brakes, but do I need a thru axle dropout for that? The other side is also a sliding dropout and has the pins for disc brake, but previous setup only had front disc and no rear brake, yet was a standard quick release. I would like to use some parts I already have for a lot of this build. But disc and drop bar will require a new and I'm guessing sram group.

Do I want/need a dynamo front hub for commuting?

Should I just keep the dropouts it has and try for a internal geared rear hub?

Gates worth a try?

Give up and just buy a decent allroad here off the forum?

My question regarding the dropout is, what are the dimensions of the hanger? Is there a standard that shows the threading size and the position of a standard hanger? Would like to retain the fender mount as well.

Is there a little blueprint available, by chance?

Old 06-19-2017, 06:43 AM

If it was mine, I'd try IGH/Dynamo. Maybe gates if you want to pay to get the stay split, but a full chain case would be cheaper. A weatherproof bike sounds nice.

You don't need thru axle for disc, despite what the marketing might say!
Old 06-19-2017, 06:53 AM
Administrator

problem solvers, and others do make a track end RD hanger....

http://problemsolversbike.com/produc...hanger_-_27547

Old 06-19-2017, 08:38 AM

Tell us again why you think a claw derailleur hanger won't work in your situation? I know I and others suggested this as a solution in your other thread on this frame.

I don't think the one Nick linked will work in your particular instance, but there are others that will. Some replace the QR end while others are just clamped in via the QR. Any derailleur hanger you find that doesn't say Simplex will have the correct RD mount threading. I'd build the bike up with a cheap hanger to suss out the bike as a whole before spending money on a custom machined part, which is likely wholly unnecessary.

No, obviously thru axles are not a requirement for disc brakes as evidenced by the disc frame you have there.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 06-19-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:20 AM

Disc brakes will work fine with quick release hubs.
No belt drive as there is no split in the frame to allow the belt to pass through.

Doesn't Civia make a derailleur hanger/dropout for this frame?
Old 06-19-2017, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the responses and it sounds like I just need to buy a hanger. I was thinking flat tire changes were going to be a pain with one of those and just sort of dismissed it.

Always so afraid I'm going to mess it up, I need to just try one and see. I have enough stuff lying around in the parts bin to get it up and running with just disc wheels once I get levers sorted.

So what kind of cheap wheels do I want here for wtb purposes?

Thanks again. I'm a bit of a hopeless case at times.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:02 PM

ok, I decided to have a sliding drop hanger fabricated for the frame.

Where can I get a blueprint of the drop section demensions? I've looked online but can't seem to find anything.

I know it is a 10mm thread, but would love to have something with actual demensions.

Any ideas?
Old 06-20-2017, 01:40 PM

Did you try sending an email to Civia? Seems like if they no longer produce that part they might be able to offer some assistance.
If not, just take a bike in your stable, measure the distance from the dropout to the derailleur bolt horizontal and vertical and you should have a pretty good ballpark, then you just have to add in the hook/stop on the bottom of the derailleur hanger.

Last edited by cmbicycles; 06-20-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Did you try sending an email to Civia? Seems like if they no longer produce that part they might be able to offer some assistance.
If not, just take a bike in your stable, measure the distance from the dropout to the derailleur bolt horizontal and vertical and you should have a pretty good ballpark, then you just have to add in the hook/stop on the bottom of the derailleur hanger.
civia is a no go. They responded that it was a single speed only bicycle and had no more useful info.

I thought of just sending him with another hanger. I don't have any replaced hangers lying around, but I bet I can get one from my shop. I could send him with a frame but it seems too bulky just for that.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:26 PM

These are out in pictures on the web... though no one shows in stock.

http://www.bikedrivetrainmall.com/ci...erailldrslider
Old 06-20-2017, 02:32 PM

Place your existing dropout on a sheet of paper and trace it with a pencil. Borrow a replaceable hanger and place it on the paper in the orientation you want and trace it. Take the existing dropout and your "drawing" to the machinist. You will need to tell him the threading and pitch for tapping the hole.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
Place your existing dropout on a sheet of paper and trace it with a pencil. Borrow a replaceable hanger and place it on the paper in the orientation you want and trace it. Take the existing dropout and your "drawing" to the machinist. You will need to tell him the threading and pitch for tapping the hole.
great. This is a standard threading and pitch, no? I just don't know where to find. I would think it would be easy to locate on web but can't seem to find it?
Old 06-20-2017, 03:05 PM

Derailleur threading is 10mm x 1.0

fender is 5mm x 0.8
Old 06-20-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Derailleur threading is 10mm x 1.0

fender is 5mm x 0.8

thank you sir.