Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2017, 08:12 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
so what hubs are these getting built around? inquiring minds want to know!
The build will be

Rear - Ceramic Altamont lite. 2cross 28h. Powertap g3 hub. Sapim laser spokes all around. Sapim black brass nipples.

Front - Ceramic Altamont Lite. 2cross 28h. Tune Mig70. Sapim laser spokes all around. Sapim black brass niples.

Peter from Petes wheels in Rochester, NY is going to be building these for me. So far great experience. Very quick at replying to emails, very helpful.

Last edited by R3awak3n; 06-19-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:19 AM
Administrator

sounds good.

i too have a set of record hubs stashed away and was waiting for the new edition open pros to come out, but who knows when that will happen.

i just ordered a set of Pacenti's new forza rims for a 24/24 build for the incoming zanc.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:28 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
sounds good.

i too have a set of record hubs stashed away and was waiting for the new edition open pros to come out, but who knows when that will happen.

i just ordered a set of Pacenti's new forza rims for a 24/24 build for the incoming zanc.
I am sure those will be nice, I like that the rear is offset.

I was going to wait for the open pros but who knows when they will arrive, who knows if they will be good, I find the eyelets unnecessary.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
I am genuinely curious about these wheels/prices too.

A standard Boyd Altamont (non-ceramic/non-Lite) set w/T11 hubs lists at $1170 shipped.

A very respected wheel-builder here quoted me +/- $785 shipped for T11/Sapim Race/DT RR511, and +/- $540 shipped for the same wheels but with Record hubs. Not shabby wheelsets at all.

After deducting the +/- $160 cost difference between PL Race and Boyd CX-Ray spokes, what accounts for the remaining $225 extra for Boyd T11/CX-Ray/Altamont versus Paceline T11/Race/DT?

Are the 2 Altamont rims $225 better than 2 DT RR511? I wonder who makes the Boyd alloy rims.

Just looking at internet prices (I assume wheel-builders get better prices) a Paceline-built T11/CX-Ray/Hed Belgium C2 wheelset would cost <$1100 shipped.

I am not trying to bash/cast aspersions/etc. I am simply curious.
Part of it is Cx-rays at about $3 per vs Race spokes at about $1.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:59 PM
aka RAEKWON

The ceramic altamonts have arrived. I mounted some tires today but have not had time to ride the bike yet.

Initial impressions are good. They are straight as an arrow, great build by Petes Wheels, very impressed with the service and quality of the build.

The wheels look great, nice construction. Wish the logos were more stealth but they still look very nice and premium.

Already scratched the ceramic coating by using my tire lever to mount the tire. I wish I had know they were these fragile. They should say, be careful using tire levers. That said, some tires absolutely need them so there is no way out of this. At $80 more per rim, maybe not worth it. I may be proven wrong when I use them and the ceramic brake track really brakes that much better. If that is so, I will eat my words for sure. I mean, they look awesome but I am starting to doubt the strength of the coating... which is really one of the main reason most people will be buying them.

Anyways, some pictures.

Last edited by R3awak3n; 07-04-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:36 PM

What tire levers did you use?
Old 07-04-2017, 03:48 PM
aka RAEKWON

I used Pedros levers.
I guess photobucked doesnt let you link images anymore, I will update these later. Stupid photobucket.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I used Pedros levers.
Scratched by a plastic lever? I'd be on the phone to Boyd (well tomorrow). Good people and active across the hall.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:58 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Scratched by a plastic lever? I'd be on the phone to Boyd (well tomorrow). Good people and active across the hall.
Its just how ceramic is, its just a coating and it lasts ok with brake pads but any hard plastic contact it comes out. Its ok, they are wheels and ill be beating them up
Old 07-04-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Its just how ceramic is, its just a coating and it lasts ok with brake pads but any hard plastic contact it comes out. Its ok, they are wheels and ill be beating them up
I've employed similar coatings at work and a lack of durability such as this is most often a coating application process issue.

... then again maybe I'll wait to see your pics before I jump to conclusions.

I really love that English.... Want one......
Old 07-04-2017, 04:16 PM
aka RAEKWON

Trying to upload the last one that shows it a bit better. Uploaded. And thank you, I like it alot too

Last edited by R3awak3n; 07-04-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Are you sure it's not plastic that's left on the rim. I did the same with mavic ceramic xc rims and that disappeared after applying the brakes a few times. As a matter of fact, after all these years of moderate xc riding the ceramic coating on my ceramic crossmax is still intact.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:57 PM
aka RAEKWON

At first I thought so but I wiped it well and seems like its the aluminum from shinning through. I will check again though.

edit- ah, looks like you were right @zap. I went in and really rubbed around that area and most of it came out (I bet I could get all of it out if I really wanted). Well then, so far, very impressed with the wheels!

A better review next weekend.

Last edited by R3awak3n; 07-04-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:26 AM

Great.

Enjoy the rides.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Brake pads might be soft, but what about the grit that often gets trapped between the rim and the pads? If hard plastic is enough to wear through the coating, I can't imagine it will last through much braking in sandy or wet conditions.