Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2017, 01:13 PM

Dusty gave a decent general summary of tire design and some very sound advice....talk with experienced locals and see what they recommend for the trails in your area. Try to find someone who weighs roughly the same as you and ask them what pressure they run their tires at. Make sure they are using the same set-up, tubes or tubeless, that you intend to ride. Since you're riding a hardtail it would be best to find someone who also rides one with the same wheel size as yours.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:25 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Another good tire that offers a good amount of grip, is fairly low rolling resistance and relatively light is the Maxxis Ardent Race. They came as stock equipment on my Pivot Mach 429SL (an "XC-ish/long day in the saddle" race bike).

I switched to Schwalbe Racing Ralphs once the Ardent Race's were done (because the RR's were a lighter tire). The RR's felt "a little faster" but I found that the Racing Ralphs didn't have as much edge grip and were not as good with sandy tops over hard pack. I switched to a RR rear with Nobby Nic front combo for more grip up front, but may switch back to the Ardent Race tires when the Racing Ralph/Nobby Nic combo is done.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:29 PM
ZhugeLiang

Huge thanks for all the suggestions and advice so far, very helpful.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:27 PM

I'm a big fan of narrower tires with very rounded cross sections, light construction, and small knobs. The "modern original" 650 B MTB tire, the Pacenti Quasi Moto is my go to tire. Tubeless on Stans rims.

https://www.panaracer.com/lineup/mtb.html

I think they are good all purpose tires but for mud. Air them up just right and you get great crisp carvy handling.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:40 PM

Aggressive Grippy

Hans Damph 2.4 front

Knobby Nic 2.35 rear

27.5ers

Not for speed though
Old 06-17-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Huge thanks for all the suggestions and advice so far, very helpful.
weisan, I think of mtb tire kinda like fly fishing. You want to choose based on where you're fishing or riding.
Are you thinking of "the Greenbelt", or more like "the Nut"? Two completely different needs, although any tire will get you through, just know the trade-offs.
Greenbelt= heavier/wider/slower. Walnut= lighter/narrower/faster (rolling).
If you want one set to do everything, the Hans Dampf front/Nobby Nic rear is hard to beat.
Now all you have to do is decide which rubber compound you want! Pace Star =faster, longer life, faster rolling. Trail Star= Higher grip, faster wear, slower rolling.
Don't have any experience with their new ADDIX compound, but should be good, once available.
Let me know if you want to spin local trails sometime.