Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2017, 07:47 PM
Vendor

OP, there is so much to do there. They have citywide scavenger hunts. Instead of bike month, it's bike summer! Something bike related every single day!!! The Chicago Triathlon which is awesome- i've done it many many times before. The food, OMG!! The Taste of Chicago! HOLY WOW! Lollapalooza. The Jazz clubs. The Cubs and Wrigley Field. The shopping. It's freaking incredible.

You will love it there.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
Funny story....I lived there. Was going to school and managing a Kozy's back in the early 90's. I had heard of 'Cabrini Green' and all the stuff going on there but didn't know where it was. Had no clue. I used to walk or take the EL or the bus. It just depended on what I felt like and if something was coming or not. I walked thru Cabrini Green one night at like 9pm in the summer. Had ZERO idea till I told someone at work the next day. They thought I was insane. Surprised I wasn't dead too.

Honestly, I walked thru it and everyone was nice. Said hi and everything. After I found out it was wild tho.

I used to manage two shops. Service Manager at the N. Halstead store and Store and Service Manager at the original 35th Street store right by the Wrigley plant. They used to bring in prototype gum to try all the time. Wild flavors like buttered popcorn. it smelled like Juicy Fruit all day long. Ugh. Made you sick after a couple days.
Back in the day, I was told not to cross the brown line EL track if you were on Division and Wells.

Kozy!! I bought my first pair of cycling shorts at the 35th St. store in 1994. Small world.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:07 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonyogloo View Post
Back in the day, I was told not to cross the brown line EL track if you were on Division and Wells.

Kozy!! I bought my first pair of cycling shorts at the 35th St. store in 1994. Small world.
Yep, I worked there and managed it in 1994. I floated to all 5(including the old Gun Club on the lake.

i was never told about the "bad areas". but i was told about the good food places! down by the 35th st kozys, there was a Mexican convenient store that made the best tacos and burritos!
Old 06-14-2017, 08:31 PM

Rogers Park might be a good bet. You could practically walk to Northwestern from there. Why not consider Evanston itself? Real nice area.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
Rogers Park might be a good bet. You could practically walk to Northwestern from there. Why not consider Evanston itself? Real nice area.
My partner is probably going to be working in downtown Chicago so we want to find a place that is not too far north to cut her potential commute time down a bit.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:04 PM
Princess Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by recarcar View Post
My partner is probably going to be working in downtown Chicago so we want to find a place that is not too far north to cut her potential commute time down a bit.
Bruh, if you're partner is working downtown then Evanston might work especially if he/she takes the Metra or Evanston Express during rush hour.

If I could live anywhere in Chicago at this point I'd look at the apartments near Sheridan in Rodgers Park, near Davis or Dempster in Evanston, Lincoln Square, or Pilsen (because I live in LA now and that's really the only place to get decent Mexican in Chicago).

PS. I'd also consider Bridgeport but that's because I grew up in Chicago.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recarcar View Post
This is super helpful, thank you! We are looking at a couple spots that are a block away from the Clark bus so that is reassuring.

Looking mainly in Rogers Park, Edgewater, and a few places near Ravenswood.
I've lived in Rogers Park for 30 years and have been a commuter as long. I work in Ravenswood (shop) and the commute is easy as pie. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
Bruh, if you're partner is working downtown then Evanston might work especially if he/she takes the Metra or Evanston Express during rush hour.

If I could live anywhere in Chicago at this point I'd look at the apartments near Sheridan in Rodgers Park, near Davis or Dempster in Evanston, Lincoln Square, or Pilsen (because I live in LA now and that's really the only place to get decent Mexican in Chicago).

PS. I'd also consider Bridgeport but that's because I grew up in Chicago.
Good point! Didn't think about that option. I think we are trying to avoid the Evanston area simply because we want less of a university neighborhood vibe. But I may be misjudging the area a bit.

We were thinking about Ravenswood because we found an idea place there and because it's in between Lincoln Square and Andersonville. Thanks for the tips! I'll keep an eye out for places around that area in Rogers Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I've lived in Rogers Park for 30 years and have been a commuter as long. I work in Ravenswood (shop) and the commute is easy as pie. PM me if you have any questions.
Thank you!
Old 06-14-2017, 11:17 PM

Whomever said something about living along the brown line and then taking it down to belmont to hop on the evanston express is on to something.

I much preferred the neighborhoods along the brown line (roscoe village, north center, lincoln squre) than the stuff along the red line.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:15 AM

I live in Evanston, work in the Loop (on Metra as I write this). I didn't see it mentioned, but DIVVY Bikes are now scattered around Evanston. Certainly in good weather that would be an option (a very heavy option) allowing you to broaden your search away from CTA and Metra lines. They are full fendered, so work in the winter as well.

Also, there is the Yellow Line CTA to Skokie (meets up with Red and Purple lines at Howard, short walk or DIVVY ride to Rogers Park Metra), so Skokie might be an option.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2017, 08:47 AM
Princess Sweat

I dunno I grew up in that area (Skokie) I dont think Evanston has a college vibe unless you're close to Northwestern.

Skokie Swift (Yellow Line) is easy. I don't recommend Skokie though mostly because it's boring AF but I'm biased.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
I dunno I grew up in that area (Skokie) I dont think Evanston has a college vibe unless you're close to Northwestern.

Skokie Swift (Yellow Line) is easy. I don't recommend Skokie though mostly because it's boring AF but I'm biased.
Maybe, but the fabulous burgers and onion rings at Hackney's make up for some of the boredom. :-)
Old 06-15-2017, 11:06 AM

I know people that live in Evanston and work in Wicker Park. Their bike commute is about 35-40 minutes elapsed time. You can live pretty much anywhere on the north side and be a 45 minute or less bike ride from Evanston.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:07 PM

Before my crash, I was commuting regularly between Evanston and the Loop. For me (aging and always rather pokey), it was 65-75 minutes, depending on how motivated I was (and how congested the route was). I haven't ridden to work since the crash. Not sure when or if I'll start commuting by bike again.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Maybe, but the fabulous burgers and onion rings at Hackney's make up for some of the boredom. :-)
And they aren't even in Skokie (Glenview).