Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
Vynl is definitely threaded BB. made by the same person making Spooky bikes (Frank the Welder). basically the same frame set conceptually, just slightly different geo and tubing. I don't think either has a 100% level TT though, but quite close. the Vynl is more sloped.

fwiw, I love my Spooky Mulholland. simple, solid, stiff, rides like a bike. there's a 56 for sale in the classifieds, if you're that size. also adored the Zanconato alu road bike I had, just wish it'd fit me better. Mike builds incredible bikes and you can for sure get exactly what you're after with him.
The Mulholland is about as close to perfect as I have found in a current production frame. Unfortunately the one in classifieds is Di2 only.

Last edited by jtbadge; 06-13-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:06 PM

Nope. This one. 1 1/8". I just restored one last week. The ones with proprietary MC3 AirHeadSets should be avoided though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
I think it would be a 1" head tube and it is getting hard to find a good 1" fork.

That said, I was riding my 17 year-old Quantum Race with Easton EC90 SLX fork this morning. After almost two decades, tens of thousands of miles and over 100 races it is still my go-to ride.

Last edited by foo_fighter; 06-13-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Pegoretti 8:30 AM or Love #3. Boom. love mine.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:23 PM

Cyfac Proxidium. They will do custom as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fignonlatest2.jpg (66.6 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by fignon's barber; 06-14-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
The Mulholland is about as close to perfect as I have found in a current production frame. Unfortunately the one in classifieds is Di2 only.
they have some stock now. I believe you can choose your cable routing preference and color. but you pay full price. the difference versus the one in the classifieds would go a decent way towards funding a di2 shift kit
Old 06-13-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_fighter View Post
Klein Quantum.
Rock Lobster
Klein Quantum Pro
or
Principia
See if you ever ride next to one of those!

Last edited by bikinchris; 06-13-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTango View Post
LOW// checks all the boxes besides the level TT (and the 1.125 steerer-- but I took that req to mean "more modern than 1 inch" and not "can't be tapered") and I really cant say enough good things about the ride of my 58cm MKi frame.
no road buzz buzzzzzz from their frames?
Old 06-13-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHour View Post
Bowman Palace R? Except no level top tube, but ticks all your other boxes. It's considered a budget frame, reviews seem very good. I have one on pre-order hopefully coming soon.
I almost pulled the trigger on this frame last weekend. Please post up some pictures and opinions when you get yours. I am looking for a frame that will accept electronic gears and this ticks all of my boxes as far as I can tell but there isn't a great deal of user information about them.

I'm hoping the Brits (I'm a Brit ex-pat) continue to make bone headed decisions and drive the pound even further into the toilet, at this rate they'll cost next to nothing given the exchange rate.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:44 PM

1 - Derosa planet or derosa Merak... pretty much the same bike, both cam in full AL and mix al/carbon stays...do it all bicycles. Both with threaded italian BB. Too late, you did not want the one I was selling months ago :P

2 - Fondriest AL and AL/carbon series, there is a carb level plus U107 at ebay right now... hope is your size.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232350259772?ul_noapp=true

3 - Colnago dream...It doesnt super climb IMO but it is a bike that people loves, had one, loved it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colnago-Drea...4AAOSwX9FZNbv1

4 - Any AL Somec...

5 - Ridley aluminum and BMC road racer... those bikes are super nice and look good. Had a road racer in aluminum and the thing was super quick.

THat's my top 4 because I had those at some point in life and I miss them a lot. The good thing is that you can get them for fair price now a days and probably wont have anything to envy to any of the modern aluminum bikes in the market. U get top of the line racing bike for cheap.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 06-13-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:49 PM

The CAAD 10 may not have the prestige of the more expensive and more exotic sought out and desirable brands.....but it's every bit the frame/bike they are. Especially for performance riding. it's only fault is it's only $500.....just not expensive enough to be prestigious. A pressed in threaded sleeve with epoxy (50 grams.....bike shops install all the time) gives you a 68 MM BB.....no issues if installed correctly.

Last edited by Ralph; 06-13-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
no road buzz buzzzzzz from their frames?
Actually not like I expected. Two of my smaller teammates who are on last year's frames (which have bigger seat and chain stays) say the ride can be rough, but for us guys over 150lbs (and those of us on the refined tubing) the ride is surprisingly smooth. I mean, you have to keep in mind that they are still CRAZY stiff so I am not by any means saying the ride is "plush", but I find my LOW with a Ritchey Flexlogic seatpost to be more comfortable than the 2010 Giant TCR Advanced SL that it replaced... and every bit as responsive in the BB... and probably stiffer in the front end... but the geo is slightly different so it is possible some of the comfort and performance gains on the LOW over the TCR can be attributed to a better "fit" with my body weight distribution.

But no, I wouldn't say you should be afraid of a a LOW being too harsh when compared to other allow options.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:08 PM

That Fondriest linked above has the ugliest graphics I have ever seen.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:11 PM

Keep the CAAD 10 and hang great stuff on it. It is a fantastic bike.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:24 PM

Two problems with the CAAD:

1. I want to run a Shimano crank without an adapter. The SRAM Force 22 BB30 crank is quiet, and I have ridden with more than a couple of guys locally running Shimano cranks on various adapters whose bikes are loud AF.

2. The paint scheme is ugly, and I don't want to spend a bunch of money to get it refinished, which could just go towards a frame with a threaded BB.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:27 PM

I have a Rock Lobster FS

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_fighter View Post
Klein Quantum.
Rock Lobster
57cm TT--level!
Aluminum!
pm if intersted