Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2017, 08:38 AM

The samsung S(x) active were amazing phones when I was in the phone game. never sold a bunch of them, but I always wanted one. Will consider something like that for my next phone.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:44 AM

Same here, S5 with Otterbox. Going on 3 years, about 15,000 thousand miles in jersey pocket. Not only has it fallen, gotten wet, but when I take the phone out of the Otterbox it looks brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
Samsung Galaxy S5 AT&T but a Verizon version is available.
Still top rated by Consumer Reports. Replaceable battery. I have an Otterbox case on mine.

I used Google maps just last week in Minneapolis to figure out where I was.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:22 AM

My company just started a BYOD policy so I had to stop using the Samsung S4 they provided. Not being a "phone guy" I really did not want to spend much or carry anything large. I really have no interest in watching videos on a phone or playing games. I need a phone, email and text. The rest of the stuff can be handy but not too important to me.

I found Cricket wireless had cheap plans for moderate users and offered the iPhone SE for $200. Elsewhere it goes for $400. Unfortunately, they were out of stock on their website but I found a local seller that had some on hand. While the screen is smaller than the old phone it is just more compact and feels better made.

Tim
Old 06-06-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
My company just started a BYOD policy so I had to stop using the Samsung S4 they provided. Not being a "phone guy" I really did not want to spend much or carry anything large. I really have no interest in watching videos on a phone or playing games. I need a phone, email and text. The rest of the stuff can be handy but not too important to me.

I found Cricket wireless had cheap plans for moderate users and offered the iPhone SE for $200. Elsewhere it goes for $400. Unfortunately, they were out of stock on their website but I found a local seller that had some on hand. While the screen is smaller than the old phone it is just more compact and feels better made.

Tim
I'm using an SE also, but paid full whack for it through Verizon. It isn't the best for texting or internet'ing given I have big man hands and it's small, but it is very solid feeling and fits in the jersey pocket nicely. I've dropped mine countless times from 3-4 ft onto hard surface with only a basic cover and it's been fine.

That said, I'll be going with a Google phone when I get around to it and will plan to use that as my mapping GPS with a quad-lock adapter and an auxiliary battery in a bento box on the TT if it comes to that.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I have heard (from reliable sources) that the Moto G phones are the best/most durable/cheapest smart phones. When my iphone 5 dies i think i am going to get one. Tired of apple 1,000,000 dollar unfixable/unexpandable/fragile products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7ed View Post
Motorola uses shatterproof glass on some of their phones
I can vouch for these phones... I have the older version (Droid ultra) and I had a Moto X before this one. They are very durable and have bright OLED screens that are easy to read in full sun. I did manage to crack the screen on my ultra, but I dropped it face down on to a boulder while hiking with no case. Oops.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:35 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesiJezi View Post
I can vouch for these phones... I have the older version (Droid ultra) and I had a Moto X before this one. They are very durable and have bright OLED screens that are easy to read in full sun. I did manage to crack the screen on my ultra, but I dropped it face down on to a boulder while hiking with no case. Oops.
on my 3rd year with a moto x and before that had a Droid...the droid maxx 2 is in use by Kid#2 at the moment. i did manage to crack the glass on my moto x but it wasn't in a case and it hit right on the corner. no other problems and its been a great phone overall.

currently shopping to replace another Kid#1's phone --- looking at refurbs on amazon and much, much cheaper than buying from verizon or at the mobile phone booth at costco. some of the Amazon Prime versions come at a reduced price but you have to put up with screen-saver advertisements.

Back to the OP's original dilemma, I'd rather map out my rides with google maps and build up a base of routes and then explore by occasionally going off route as getting to know the area better. Not sure where you've moved to, but here it doesn't take much to find yourself in some sketchy places with few options of return.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:52 PM

Moved to Barrington Rhode Island. Got pissed at my garmin - out wondering and then put in my address and garmin came back with error.

Thx for updates here will do some searching for stuff.

No idea how kids can all be walking around with these iphones and one drop - bye bye. Guess I am just frustrated at my old diabetic eyes straining at everything...
Old 06-06-2017, 08:35 PM
ZhugeLiang

Bought Moto G and Moto E (2nd Gen with 4LTE) for the entire family's smart phone users (5) when they were on sale, $30 each. It's been more than 2 years now. Not sure if it qualifies as "best durable" but certainly has withstand its share of abuse within the family, haven't the need to replace any of the original phones yet.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:50 PM

moto g5 plus

I have the moto g5 plus and it really good. the plus is the larger size and it's pretty much waterproof. they say it's water resistant, but I've seen videos on youtube where they put it in a bowl of water. I'm tired of putting my phone in a zip lock bag. but the phone feels slippery so I did get a case with loop on the back so I can slip my finger into and not drop it. no more codes to unlock it with the fingerprint reader and great battery life.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:24 AM

Last edited by dgauthier; 06-07-2017 at 03:27 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Garmin sucks. Moved to new area and want to ride and get lost, find my way back home using google maps. I am currently a flip phone user, avoided new phones due to my cheapness, not an APP user, and bad eyes. Eyes are somewhat fixed, looking at 7 or 7 plus but my cheapness comes into play. Looking for good phone with great screen brightness that won't blow apart if slips out of hand in a case.

ideas?

thx
(using verizon)
Go online and get a 6+..most of the whizbangy-ness of the 7 for less $...get a rubber type case and screen protector..I've dropped mine like 4-5 times..no issue.