Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonguy001 View Post
The geometry on the older Vamoots frames makes for one of my favorite riding road frames of all time. It's just so good.

The new ones are fine too, just different and I've put a ton of miles on both versions.
Can you or someone comment on this? I've heard this from many folks .. what's the diff and why did they change?
Old 06-05-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
Can you or someone comment on this? I've heard this from many folks .. what's the diff and why did they change?
I think they did a couple iterations of the new geometry on them starting in 2013 if I'm not mistaken (I was it was 2010). Longer stays, more road sport geometry with a slacker HTA and longer head tube. 2014 saw them drop the BB another few mm and add more slope to the TT.

They probably did it to make an actual difference between it and the Vamoots CR as they used to be very similar. I bet if you were looking for that quick and tight handling the old Vamoots had the CR would be the ticket now.

Saying that, I'm just a fan and owner. I bet O.P. Would have better insight having been a dealer and also owning at least one.

Last edited by commonguy001; 06-05-2017 at 06:58 AM. Reason: info corrected
Old 06-05-2017, 06:05 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyh View Post
Either way I'd go with the Moots, especially over the Lynskey.
ftfy
Old 06-05-2017, 06:13 AM

Not sure what changes were made to geometry more recently, but iirc there was a small tweak to the geometry in 2006 (small increase in headtube height but no changes to angles, etc.), and a bigger revamp in 2010. Prior to 2010, the VaMoots and Compact shared the same geometry, the only difference being the slope of the toptube (level vs. sloping). In 2010, the models split. The VaMoots got a taller headtube and a few other tweaks, the CR was essentially the successor to the old VaMoots and Compact in terms of geometry, and the RSL was introduced, with even racier geometry than the CR.

If the frame you are looking at was built in 2005 or earlier (which, if it has a 1" headtube then it would have been), the geometry is probably similar to the 2006-2010 geometry, but with a slightly shorter headtube (.5 - 1cm depending on size, iirc).
Old 06-06-2017, 01:44 PM

Thanks to everyone that provided input on this thread. I did pick up the Moots yesterday and I felt like I should at least post a photo or two. I am super excited about this build. I test fit my wheels with 27mm Vittoria Pave tires, and there's plenty of room - which is awesome.

The bike currently has a 9 speed Dura Ace group and FSA cockpit, and new Vuelta wheels. That will be swapped out soon enough, I have to move a few things around between bikes.

Another bonus was meeting the seller, Benny. Super nice guy and total vintage bike geek. His collection was amazing, and I don't think I saw half of it. He has a matching, his & hers, set of Bruce Gordon's that were just gorgeous. Great color, with full vintage Campy with Rally long cage RD. He wants to sell too, so if your looking for a set of 56's for you and misses. I hope to see him at Eroica next year, he has plenty of concourse ready bikes.

Here's a couple picks of the Va Moots.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:21 PM

Chapeau!!

That is one stunning frame and should look great with whatever you hang on it.

Do be sure to start a thread over in the image gallery and keep us up to date
Old 06-06-2017, 02:24 PM

Real nice!!

Is that a reynolds fork on there? I think it looks like the reynolds "R" but i cant recall ever seeing a reynolds fork with red decals before. Fill me in
Old 06-06-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Chapeau!!

That is one stunning frame and should look great with whatever you hang on it.

Do be sure to start a thread over in the image gallery and keep us up to date
A build thread is a definite. I'll photograph the frame once I have it stripped down. I would like to get the fork color matched, either by Moots (if they offer that) or locally.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Real nice!!

Is that a reynolds fork on there? I think it looks like the reynolds "R" but i cant recall ever seeing a reynolds fork with red decals before. Fill me in
Reynolds fork. There's an "R" and an "F" on there, so I'm not sure which model. Red and white graphic is under the clear coat.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:37 PM

Thanks interesting. How come i never saw this before i wonder, id think its pretty rare.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Thanks interesting. How come i never saw this before i wonder, id think its pretty rare.
I haven't seen one before either. I thought maybe this was a fork that was available through Moots only.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:45 PM

OK, now, strip the old decals, get on MOOTS site, and order a new set. Better yet, send it in and have them bead-blast everything (not free...) . Jeff N.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
OK, now, strip the old decals, get on MOOTS site, and order a new set. Better yet, send it in and have them bead-blast everything (not free...) . Jeff N.
I'm considering that, but wonder if loosing the old decals would be bad. They have character.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomateo View Post
Reynolds fork. There's an "R" and an "F" on there, so I'm not sure which model. Red and white graphic is under the clear coat.

Fork was OEM fork from a Felt. That explains the F.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomateo View Post
I'm considering that, but wonder if loosing the old decals would be bad. They have character.

I agree with keeping the old ones if they're in good condition..