Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2017, 09:14 AM

VaMoots vs Merlin Extra Lite

I would like to hear your thoughts. I'm considering a Ti bike, and there are two prospects I've found. Moots VaMoots and Merlin Extra Lite. Both bikes are a good size for me and are priced within a couple hundred bucks of each other.
Both bikes appear to be approximately the same age, since they both are equipped with Dura Ace 7700 STI groups.

Anyone have experience with either or both frames. I'm looking for a comfortable and durable frameset. I did the BWR this year and intend to go back next year to improve on my miserable time. I would also like to be able to fit 28mm tires. Both bikes are classic geometry. Not sure if they have 1 1/8 steer tube, sellers are checking.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:33 AM

If one had a 1" headtube and the other a 1 1/8" I would lean heavily towards the 1 1/8". But that's just me. I had an Merlin EL and it was a great bike but I would assume the Moots would be as well. Any chance you could actually put in enough miles on both to make a decision based off your preference vs. that of others?
Old 06-04-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl819 View Post
If one had a 1" headtube and the other a 1 1/8" I would lean heavily towards the 1 1/8". But that's just me. I had an Merlin EL and it was a great bike but I would assume the Moots would be as well. Any chance you could actually put in enough miles on both to make a decision based off your preference vs. that of others?
I doubt it. They're listed on craigslist and I wouldn't expect either seller to be cool with someone taking their bike out for the day. Plus, both bikes would need to be set up differently from how they currently sit.

I am hopping that one or both have the larger steer tube. It opens up loads more fork options.

Do you recall the tire clearance on either?

Last edited by velomateo; 06-04-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomateo View Post
I doubt it. They're listed on craigslist and I wouldn't expect either seller to be cool with someone taking their bike out for the day. Plus, both bikes would need to be set up differently from how they currently sit.

I am hopping that one or both have the larger steer tube. It opens up loads more fork options.

Do you recall the tire clearance on either?
I don't... but that was back before larger tires were a thing to consider. However, the opening up of fork options as well as bar/stems would be a significant factor for me. High quality 1" carbon forks are getting hard to come by especially if you need much steerer tube. My Merlin had a 1" Reynolds Ouzo Pro, but again, I acquired that fork as the industry was shifting to 1 1/8". Now there are tapered steerers and the such.

I realize that a CL seller might not let you have a full day with the bike but I would think that a reasonable test ride would not be out of the question - never hurts to ask if they are local. Also, does the fact that Moots is still in business matter to you at all if there ever was an issue with the frame?
Old 06-04-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl819 View Post
Also, does the fact that Moots is still in business matter to you at all if there ever was an issue with the frame?
It does, that's a good point.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:09 AM

Just heard back from the Merlin seller, 1 inch steer tube.

I also found a Lynskey R230 that looks like it might fit. I think I'm between a M and M/L. This one's a M/L. I don't like being on the bottom end of the size chart on bikes though, and I think that's what I would be on the Lynskey.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Just heard back from the Merlin seller, 1 inch steer tube.

I also found a Lynskey R230 that looks like it might fit. I think I'm between a M and M/L. This one's a M/L. I don't like being on the bottom end of the size chart on bikes though, and I think that's what I would be on the Lynskey.
Get the Moots....
Old 06-04-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Get the Moots....
I knew there would be a SOLID recommendation coming.

I'm leaning that way too, just really hoping it has the 1/ 1/8 steer tube.

Are you familiar with frame decal vs model year? This one says MOOTS Cycles.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Get the Moots....
Beat me to it. Especially if the prices are within a few hundred dollars of each other. If the Merlin were half the price, I might consider it.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:39 AM
ZhugeLiang

I have several bikes with 1 inch steerer tube. It never bothers me. Forget the name on the downtube, test ride if possible. Titanium is just another material for building bikes, there's no magic pixel dust in it.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:58 AM

Merlin frames don't usually resell within the same range as Moots, so either the Merlin is very overpriced or the Moots is severely underpriced. Either way I'd go with the Moots, even over the Lynskey.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyh View Post
Merlin frames don't usually resell within the same range as Moots, so either the Merlin is very overpriced or the Moots is severely underpriced. Either way I'd go with the Moots, even over the Lynskey.
I agree, the Merlin is a bit over priced...and the Moots is a very good deal.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Sounds like your decision has been made! Go with the Moots.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
that's a super easy choice then. and if it's an older frame and/or you want a new fork for it Moots is blowing these out: https://moots.myshopify.com/collecti...iant=212021121

I just bought one - no complaints.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:23 AM

I think price wise there isent a lot between the frames in terms of value on 1" steerertube modells. The extralite has a nice following looking for specifily that version as its somewhat iconic while most looking for a moots would be wanting the 11/8 or later versions.

The fact that it says MOOTScycles on the decals make it very likely it also has a 1" headtube. But not a certainty, seen at least one with those decals while beeing 11/8 tho that decal may have been applied later ofc.

I have both a merlin and a moots so I'm not biased btw .)

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 06-04-2017 at 11:50 AM.