Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
What about the next guy who gets chased or bitten or worse?
I will always understand ppl who dont bother filing reports i just dont understand how one can advice not to do it tbh .)
I hear ya... but what about the next guy who's riding along the same stretch of road and gets harrassed by an aggressive driver because someone else tried to get them in trouble. All I am saying is it goes both ways. A very courteous conversation, preferably at the time of the accident, may have been the best way to go. Action taken after when it is basically one persons word can sometimes be more harmful.

Where we ride, dogs are a way of life. They have caused more than one accident. Homeowners have been contacted. Seldom do they care. Seldom do the dogs not still roam free. This happens in more rural areas and in their minds their dogs being there more than you. Is that wrong? Sure! Will that same person remember that the next time they see on or a group of us in bike in their neck of the woods? They do here... and I doubt that mindset in local to just us.

I gave my advice because he came here and asked for it. What he does with it is totally up to him.

Last edited by msl819; 06-03-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
if there was no physical contact with the animals and you confront the owner, be prepared for a less than warm reception.

if one of them grabbed you by the leg and pulled you down to the payment, you might get an apology, but even that's a long shot.

getting money because they simply spooked you and you crashed out...? ain't gonna happen.
This ^

Oct. 11, 2016.....no time to react, hit dog coming out of shadows(early morning) ...impact hitting dog square, endo, fractured helmet, mild concussion, two fractured vertebrae, multiple abrasions, broke Envy fork, owner witnessed, no offer for help, dog ran off...group ride so had assistance, in rural community no insurance on that shack....can't get blood out of a turnip...move on, you have your health now, but maybe not later?
Old 06-03-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl819 View Post
I hear ya... but what about the next guy who's riding along the same stretch of road and gets harrassed by an aggressive driver because someone else tried to get them in trouble. All I am saying is it goes both ways. A very courteous conversation, preferably at the time of the accident, may have been the best way to go. Action taken after when it is basically one persons word can sometimes be more harmful.

Where we ride, dogs are a way of life. They have caused more than one accident. Homeowners have been contacted. Seldom do they care. Seldom do the dogs not still roam free. This happens in more rural areas and in their minds their dogs being there more than you. Is that wrong? Sure! Will that same person remember that the next time they see on or a group of us in bike in their neck of the woods? They do here... and I doubt that mindset in local to just us.

I gave my advice because he came here and asked for it. What he does with it is totally up to him.
I hear ya.. .)

I just think that option is a slippery slope as it can ofc be applied to many other situations as well. Where does that road end, not in a good place imo.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
The dogs came towards you but did they leave their property? If you reacted to them running but they did not contact you and leave their property I would say just chalk it up and glad it was not worse.
The dog was in the middle of the street and I made contact with his snout as he jumped at me.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:30 PM

Obviously the dogs were unleashed. If they left the property and as you say there are local leash laws, then the owner needs, as minimum, a visit by Animal Control. It may not result in a fine, but sometimes the warning is enough as the owner will know they are on notice.

I doubt you'll be able to reason with the owner; the rule of law seems to make the strongest impact on most people, as they could give a cr@p about most strangers.

Without the dogs having knocked you down or bitten you, it sounds like your own actions contributed to the crash. Before you repair your bike or any injuries heal, take both you and the bike to Animal Control (sometimes they'll visit YOU) and file a complaint. They'll do the rest.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl819 View Post

Thanks, the owner the home (farm style residence) had just left. I approached and the dogs saw me. They likely followed his truck out. The drive was about a 1/4 mile long. After, the dogs left back to the house and I realized they were not going to attack me, I rode up to the house. Nobody was home.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:40 PM

I really appreciate the advice everyone.

I think I will report the incident to animal control as above. I have done this with other dogs/owners but it never helped. Regardless, it could have been a worse situation. In principle I don’t think me falling and not getting hurt and me falling and getting hurt should be viewed differently. If there was no dogs I would not have fallen and the dogs by law should not be chasing folks. That is not the dogs fault mind you. If I were a dog I would chase me too.

I have had the most luck with dogs that I see frequently, stopping and being a bit nicer. Stopping usually is enough to make them lose interest.

Today that was exactly what I was attempting to do. Since I was on a grade of 10-15% I was standing with a lot of weight on the bars and actually almost in a sprint. I had not even seen the two dogs and since they have never been out before it was very unexpected. When I went to stop I just misjudged how much brake I needed on that incline and weight bias.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
Thanks, the owner the home (farm style residence) had just left. I approached and the dogs saw me. They likely followed his truck out. The drive was about a 1/4 mile long. After, the dogs left back to the house and I realized they were not going to attack me, I rode up to the house. Nobody was home.
Sounds like that was the best option. A visit tomorrow afternoon to follow up and discuss with civility could be an option as well. Easy in with, "I stopped by yesterday but you had just left but wanted to let you know..."

If it were me I would rather have you come to my house and visit with me in person than get a notice from local law enforcement that a report had been filed. Again for me... it would be much easier to get irritated at a name less, faceless person, who filed a report against me than someone who approached, was polite, did not make accusation or threats and seemed genuinely concerned for both their well being as well as the well being of my animals.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:00 PM
ZhugeLiang

Stephen pal, I am glad you are not hurt too badly, get some rest, don't let this incident spoil the entire weekend.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:04 PM

[QUOTE=stephenmarklay;2183494]I really appreciate the advice everyone.

I think I will report the incident to animal control as above. I have done this with other dogs/owners but it never helped. Regardless, it could have been a worse situation. In principle I don’t think me falling and not getting hurt and me falling and getting hurt should be viewed differently.

Sure there is...you want to talk about monetary damages, there certainly is anytime you talk about medical, potentially lost wages and pain & suffering....yes reporting is a facade they almost laughed me off the phone...but I did what I thought was right, which is what we have to live with in the end....good luck and glad you're OK
Old 06-03-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
The dogs came towards you but did they leave their property? If you reacted to them running but they did not contact you and leave their property I would say just chalk it up and glad it was not worse.
It just doesn't matter. Unless you filed a somewhat contemporaneous police report or had witnesses, how are you going to prove what happened? The owners will say the dogs never left the yard and you fell due to your own carelessness or error. You can try speak with the owners if you like, but if you are self-righteous and make demands, you're likely going to be told to go pound sand. But who knows, maybe they'll be sympathetic and offer?

If this just happened, you might call the local animal control officer to let he/she know. The Animal Control Officer may visit the owners to put them on notice, and there will be a record if there is another incident involving the dogs.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:42 PM
aka RAEKWON

I think before reporting anything, you talk to the owners. Why are people so afraid to talk to each other. Why the passive agressive?

Talk to them, see what they say then if they don't do anything then maybe yes consider calling animal control.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:46 PM

If this happened to me I'd talk to the owner and tell them what happened.

If they offered to help pay for some of the damage great.

If not, its a dog, your stuff is replaceable, just be happy you didnt get hurt.

Now if it happens AGAIN with the same dogs, different story.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:43 PM

Ouch. I did the same this spring. I did not contact owners, just took my lumps and went on.

Irresponsible dog owners will be around as long as dogs have tails and sniff each other's butts.

I used the accident to upgrade my bars and had to buy a new helmet, then just filed the whole event under "$hit happens".

Hope you heal well and watch by the road.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
If this happened to me I'd talk to the owner and tell them what happened.

If they offered to help pay for some of the damage great.

If not, its a dog, your stuff is replaceable, just be happy you didnt get hurt.

Now if it happens AGAIN with the same dogs, different story.
If he doesn't file the first report, it won't be.