Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2017, 01:31 PM

So a dog made me crash today

I am fine but I went over the bars and my levers and seat got all boogered up. So I am contemplating visiting the owner and asking him to replace those items.

Another option is to just call the local animal control and press charges.

Or last I can count my blessings and move on with my day?

What says you?
Old 06-03-2017, 01:37 PM

Need more info. How did the dog make you crash?
Old 06-03-2017, 01:43 PM

I was riding by the home and two dogs ran out. They were charging fast as I went up a steep grade in front of the home.

I stuck my foot out to keep some distance between one of them and my leg but i was standing and unbalanced. I grabbed too much brake with my weight biased over the front in an attempt to stop and over I went.

The dogs got scared of the debacle and decided the fun was over.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:46 PM

I would say we need more info too... I live in an area where dogs can be an issue. However, the same owners who let their dogs run free can be a much bigger concern for cyclist than their pets. Before I visited a homeowner and asked for several hundred dollars of parts to be replaced I would make sure I wasn't stirring up a larger hornets nest.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:46 PM

**** happens. Unless the dog owner was directly responsible, as in extendoleash catching your bike, it's on both of you.

Pressing charges? Jesus. Everyone is so fast to go that route, it's infuriating.

Did you slow down and use reason? If a car is parked and you hit it, do you blame the car?
Old 06-03-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
I was riding by the home and two dogs ran out. They were charging fast as I went up a steep grade in front of the home.

I stuck my foot out to keep some distance between one of them and my leg but i was standing and unbalanced. I grabbed too much brake with my weight biased over the front in an attempt to stop and over I went.

The dogs got scared of the debacle and decided the fun was over.
So you panicked and fell. Congrats.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiclistiCliff View Post
**** happens. Unless the dog owner was directly responsible, as in extendoleash catching your bike, it's on both of you.

Pressing charges? Jesus. Everyone is so fast to go that route, it's infuriating.

Did you slow down and use reason? If a car is parked and you hit it, do you blame the car?
It is strictly illegal to allow your dog to be off your property unleashed in this county. It is the responsibility of the owner to abide by the law.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiclistiCliff View Post
So you panicked and fell. Congrats.
I asked this question as a sincere attempt to get opinions. Your decided to troll.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:58 PM

And you can be a decent person and inform the owner or you can be difficult and call whomever you think. If it happens every time, that's different.

Do you use your blinkers every time? Stay at the speed limit? Never exceed posted speed limit on the bike? Come to a complete stop every time?
Old 06-03-2017, 01:59 PM

If you are not hurt, I would just chalk it up. If I was hurt it would be different. Poop happens, glad you are ok.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2017, 01:59 PM

This is not trolling. All my answers have been on topic.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:03 PM

I would move on.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:04 PM

Considering the dogs ran away after your spill I'm thinking they never really intended to rip you to shreds. Likely just dogs being dogs.

If you talk to the owner frame it with concern for the animals potentially getting hit by a car by running in the street. Then mention your crash.

Don't dwell on it too much though, there's still a lot of weekend to enjoy.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:25 PM

if there was no physical contact with the animals and you confront the owner, be prepared for a less than warm reception.

if one of them grabbed you by the leg and pulled you down to the payment, you might get an apology, but even that's a long shot.

getting money because they simply spooked you and you crashed out...? ain't gonna happen.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:35 PM

Bummer

Glad you are ok, sorry about the bike. I am not going to pile on here and make you feel even worse. Others have done that. It's a tough call. If the dogs didn't run out to you I am guessing you don't go down. I would think pretty much everyone here on the forum would have panicked a bit with TWO dogs running after them. The owner was nowhere in sight? Too bad they did not come out to check on you then. You may have had some leeway at that point since they would have seen the damage. Not likely to do any good to try to press things now. Hopefully your parts are ok to use and maybe down the line you can replace them. Matthew