Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2017, 07:18 PM

How to get out of a funk after lower back injury

Hi, Paceliners. Not much of a writer here but I'm looking for some advice. I'm cleared to be back on a bike after a couple months of PT. I've been working through l5 s1 disk issues in physical therapy and at a point where I can ride on a trainer for 30 minutes and get back outdoors for short rides very soon.

Any tips for getting back into shape, staying motivated, and working back up to regular group rides when you're much slower?

How did you pull yourself out of a funk after injury?
Old 05-17-2017, 07:33 PM

Start slow, and do what you can.

It sounds trivial, but I had a crappy spring, 2nd surgery in March (not back though) and have been slowly building up strength and endurance. It seems pathetic but it is a victory that I can now stay on my feet for most of a day, and actually get stuff done.

Yesterday and today I actually gardened--shoveled dirt and all.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:35 PM

Lower back

I'd go with what your Dr recommends, but core work helps me stay on the bike.

Ray
Old 05-17-2017, 08:08 PM

I went through a long battle with l5s1 disc problems and for me hydration plays a huge roll. I didn't want to believe that at first but I experience way less symptoms if I keep up with my hydration.

Is gonna take time but you will it's if you are dedicated to your PT, especially core work and flexibility.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:05 PM

enjoy the scenery.

seriously, it is amazing what you don't see on a fitness-oriented ride. find a good scenic route, maybe some neighborhoods you always ride by but never through and hit em up. errands on the bike.
also, don't count miles, count minutes, as in I was able to do a half hour ride, up to an hour ride, etc. who cares how many miles (maybe remove the bike computer)

pay attention to bike set up too
Old 05-17-2017, 09:20 PM

l5-s1 laminectomy/discectomy...

...like 12 years back.

PT and core strength is key, along with hamstring flexibility.

make a strong/active core your new normal.

consider a suspension seatpost for the first 6+ months back on the bike.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:55 PM
slower than you

Don't give up! Yeah, horribly cliched, but, it works. I'm into a second full year of PT after knee problems, and, all I can tell you is that, I'm not all the way back, but much better than last year. Of course, at my late age, I'll probably never be all the way back, but, what's the alternative? TV and pills? Nuh uh, nosiree.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:34 AM

I'm going through the same thing, problem with L5/S1 that has caused some muscle imbalance (or maybe its the other way around). No surgery required but a good PT has helped me turn the corner I think.

Best thing I did was start leaving the garmin/gps at home. Go ride. Come back when you're ready.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:09 AM

Just ride. Skip the group rides until you're back in shape.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:33 AM

I have lower back issues as well. I ride by myself at my own pace and let my body tell me how long to ride for. Position and fit are very important when you have issues with your body.

Stay focused and don't try to do too much too fast. Once you feel like you can push yourself then slowly start doing so.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:02 AM

worth a look:

Old 05-18-2017, 08:45 AM

Cheers for the feedback and tips, I really appreciate it.

No garmin or strava if you can believe it! I have a software job and cycling is my unplugged time. Sadly, the last several months tapping in front of a screen has won out and surfaced this injury. Luckily, I have a great PT and following all steps which is really helping, plus my posture is much improved. Standing desk for most of the day over slouching in a chair. Looking back it's clear how this happened and that's frustrating. Hard to believe that I'd be able to get out of bed without pain again but I am moving forward.

Great reminders to slow down, take in the scenery and stop along the way. I'm committed to the slow game and long term improvement over a pills and surgery.

Just ready to get back out there now that the weather is much improved and finding it hard to get on that first ride due to the 'what ifs' of going backwards after finally making progress in pt.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:17 AM

Great advice in this thread! Went through a "bad back" period ten plus years ago. At its worst, I was completely dysfunctional. Couldn't sleep, stand, or sit without pain. Fortunately, found a great physical therapist who taught me how to get and stay pain-free. Keep up the PT and be patient! With a lot of work and a little luck, you'll become pain-free AND you'll appreciate cycling even more.

Greg
Old 05-18-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlin View Post
.... snipped a bunch out here

Just ready to get back out there now that the weather is much improved and finding it hard to get on that first ride due to the 'what ifs' of going backwards after finally making progress in pt.
Plan to ride the bike around the block once. After that, and if you still feel good, go a little longer. Then go home and celebrate your success. Baby steps at first and with little or no expectations of "performance".
Old 05-18-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
enjoy the scenery.

seriously, it is amazing what you don't see on a fitness-oriented ride. find a good scenic route, maybe some neighborhoods you always ride by but never through and hit em up. errands on the bike.
also, don't count miles, count minutes, as in I was able to do a half hour ride, up to an hour ride, etc. who cares how many miles (maybe remove the bike computer)

pay attention to bike set up too
This is my biggest thing about group riding. nobody ever sees anything on the ride, all too busy trying to show off. i like riding pace because you can see tons of things. Turkey and deer don't even run away when you are on the bike.

go for adventures, bring a book and a snack, have fun! lifes too short.