Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2015, 06:15 PM
aka RAEKWON

there was an 8c at the local ferrari/alpha/masarati dealership in seattle and I worked by. They sold it fairly quick but for the few weeks that it was there I saw it driving around a couple of times for some reason, it sounded amazing. The 8c exaust note is incredible, so loud.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:29 PM

It's more than a bit of a thread drift but Montana also requires a front plate and over the years I've been pulled over a few times for not having one but was never given a ticket.

With my current sports car I decided to eliminate that reason for being pulled over and used the plate (with a few not-so-subtle bends) as part of a front end splitter to reduce front end lift at speed. It works really well.

dave

Old 06-30-2015, 06:38 PM
Cat 6

I for one am glad to see Alfa on U.S. roads again. They were supposed to have been here since 2012. I've owned an 85 GTV6 and a 76 Spider before switching to sport bikes. It remains still my favorite car brand. I am looking forward to having a new Alfa sometime in the next few years. I like the idea of a 490 HP sedan!
Old 06-30-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownjewelwl View Post
Cost of doing business...
Exactly! I've only had a couple of tickets for no front plate over the years, but I look at it as a running cost for the cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post

Wow! Do you still have the Elise or was this its replacement?
Old 06-30-2015, 06:51 PM
なんでやねん

Definitely interested in the lower trims of the Giulia. With a turbo four and a six-speed manual that could nicely replace my IS300.

Actually I really like the Giulietta but I guess the current model won't be coming to North America since it's about to be replaced.

It's a massive gamble for Fiat Chrysler to put that much development expense into reviving Alfa with aims of competing with BMW. But I do hope they pull it off.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:53 PM

Yes and

Fiat not doing well either. Bail out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceolwulf View Post
Definitely interested in the lower trims of the Giulia. With a turbo four and a six-speed manual that could nicely replace my IS300.

Actually I really like the Giulietta but I guess the current model won't be coming to North America since it's about to be replaced.

It's a massive gamble for Fiat Chrysler to put that much development expense into reviving Alfa with aims of competing with BMW. But I do hope they pull it off.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:59 PM
50 bpm

The return of Alfa Romeo

Owned four BMWs and one Alfa. Beemers were wonderful and loved them (except the X3). The Alfa was a mistress that I constantly lusted on. Would love to feel that lust again.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:03 PM

Man, those wheels are dead sexy, and that Giulia looks fantastic to me.

I'm stoked for alfas to be back, my 164S was the best* car I ever owned, but I was young and could afford to give it the attention it needed. Can't wait to get passed by a new alfa on the highway!

*"best" does not denote reliability, but speed, sound and sexiness.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:21 PM

I got out of law school December, 1974 and lived in Olympia where I was able to get by without a car until late fall as I saved up for something I really wanted. I hitched to work some and my mom loaned me her car a lot. Drove a new 1974 Alfa 2000 GTV from a dealer in Leschi on Lake Washington on a sunny day. The decision was made.

The dealer did not have a red one so I purchased the car from Tonkin in Portland. In Olympia people would come up to me and ask if it was a Ferrari. I drove it hard until early 1984 when I moved to Phoenix. The lack of air conditioning was the end for me.

After Louis purchased a GTV I have been looking at 1974's again. I have become intrigued by the 4c and asked a client/friend about the car and he said I should buy one as it was fun to drive. He took delivery of a bright blue Porsche 918 Spyder in the last month. Anything I could buy pales in comparison to his storage facility of cars.

I am still thinking about the 4C - not a need but it would be fun.

Jeff
Old 06-30-2015, 07:24 PM

But have you heard it?

https://youtu.be/ttktBQHOndg?t=35
Old 06-30-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Exactly! I've only had a couple of tickets for no front plate over the years, but I look at it as a running cost for the cars.

Wow! Do you still have the Elise or was this its replacement?
I sold the Elise about 1 1/2 years ago and built this monster from the ground up. Not as cool looking but VERY quick.

dave
Old 06-30-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_d12 View Post
But have you heard it?

https://youtu.be/ttktBQHOndg?t=35
Holy Schmidt!!! That sounds incredible!

To this day, the finest sounding cars that I have owned have been my GTV6s and Milano. Alfa's busso V6 was/is an incredible sounding motor. Unfortunately, I was continually paranoid that a timing belt was going to break and send valves colliding with pistons which was a somewhat regular occurrence on those cars back in the 90s. It was enough of a concern that I walked away from V6 Alfas in '98 and haven't owned one since.

Texbike
Old 06-19-2017, 09:41 PM

I drove the Giulia base model today and it was a nice tight driving sedan.

Then I drove the Giulia Quadrifoglio with 505 hp. The Quadrifoglio is an amazing car, and there is no way I could buy the base model after driving the Quadrifoglio. The Giulia is a small car though (M3) and I drive people around some as I sell real estate. I would have to keep my 2012 X5 if I bought the Giulia.

I liked the X5 a lot as it has plenty of leg room behind me (6' 2"), no floor hump in the back seat, is not too big and I can put my bikes in back without taking a wheel off. I just can't see getting the same car for another six years. I guess I could look at Range Rovers - don't really know a lot about them. Time to do some research.

My birthday is in just over 2 weeks so maybe I can buy myself a birthday present.

Jeff

Last edited by jlwdm; 08-20-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:12 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
I drove the Giulia base model today and it was a nice tight driving sedan.

Then I drove the Giulia Quadrifoglio with 505 hp. The Quadrifoglio is an amazing car, and there is no way I could buy the base model after driving the Quadrifoglio. The Giulia is a small car though (M5) and I drive people around some as I sell real estate. I would have to keep my 2012 X5 if I bought the Giulia.

I liked the X5 a lot as it has plenty of leg room behind me (6' 2"), no floor hump in the back seat, is not too big and I can put my bikes in back without taking a wheel off. I just can't see getting the same car for another six years. I guess I could look at Range Rovers - don't really know a lot about them. Time to do some research.

My birthday is in just over 2 weeks so maybe I can buy myself a birthday present.

Jeff

Go for the Quad!
Old 06-20-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
The pricing for the 4C was reasonably low for a halo car, I thought. Will be interested to see what the Giulia Quadrifoglio goes for.
Ah, the Guila Quadrifoglio...that's the one with four fog lights, right?