Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2006, 05:30 AM

What are the most gorgeous Serotta's you've seen?

I'm having a really tough time choosing paint finishes... so I'm looking for inspiration.

Yes there is the image gallery, but what I'd like to see is a list of 'best of breed' paint jobs, finishes and touches that make for really beautiful Serotta's.

I'm personally inclined towards either a Indy or Sizzler finish at the moment, but the sheer wealth of choices is crippling my ability to think straight... and the picture gallery doesn't help reduce that feeling!

So... post some images of the finest colours, finishes, etc you've seen by Serotta and this can help me with my purchase, and others with theirs

I'll start, with this one that stood out in the gallery:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=15696
Old 04-12-2006, 05:33 AM
Serotta Bike Fit Technician

Competition Red, and Competition Yellow!

Sizzler is the choice for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8655.JPG (70.4 KB, 1840 views)
Old 04-12-2006, 06:34 AM
Registered Amuser

Here's two.....

SC53's Ottrott:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=8558

and Headwind's Legend TI:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=15680

Two of the most gorgeous Serotta's I've ever seen.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:09 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Dave;

I am not trying to be self-congatulatory, but if you can track down the thread on my Concours Cross bike, I think the polished flame pattern is right up there with the best stuff Serotta has done.

And I certainly would not want to see bunches of bikes looking like this one.

But I think it is a great finish. It is subtle, but when you get the light right, people just go gaga.

I am going to be taking new pictures in the next day or two for Serotta Andrew and I will e-mail you them as well if you would like.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:24 AM
Administrator

I have a bunch of ones that I like and I would say in part that the paint scheme would depend on which bike you are purchasing. For example, if it is a Ti frame, then I really like the 1/2 & 1/2 paint scheme with the rear in brushed Ti. Not only does this show off the Ti, but it is very practical as well as there isn't much concern about tire rub or the chain dinging the paint. I also agree that Rudy's latest Legend Ti is amoung the best out there and I also think that my Legend Ti isn't too shabby.

As for the full paints, IMHO, the Team paint scheme is hard to beat (and almost anything in Arancio would be just fine with me). Here are a couple examples..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSi-blueSm.jpg (68.6 KB, 1773 views)
File Type: jpg CSi-10thAniv-4.jpg (38.3 KB, 1765 views)
File Type: jpg LegendSTblue.jpg (54.3 KB, 1763 views)
File Type: jpg SerottaRWB.jpg (31.2 KB, 1757 views)
File Type: jpg WaterfordSS-frame.jpg (48.1 KB, 2295 views)

Last edited by Keith A; 04-12-2006 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:28 AM
I need you cool.

without a doubt....

the one on my CSI...see link below. The problem is, you need lugs on the headtube to make it work...bummer for you. Also, I don't know if they offer the "full deck" option on forks anymore...

Bruce is right, check out his polished flame....subtle flash. For my money, it is hard to beat a white bike...red or ti decals, bare ti rear triangle.

What model are you getting? How gaudy do you want to go? The orange flame pic is pretty over the the top imho. If you like flames, there are some good ones with white, blue & silver in the gallery that look good.

Good luck with the hardest part of buying a Serotta!

Last edited by Ozz; 04-12-2006 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korn Julio
SC53's Ottrott:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=8558

... of the most gorgeous Serotta's I've ever seen.

I think there is one just like it for sale on Ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-Serotta-Ott...QQcmdZViewItem

-g
Old 04-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Grant -- That one has been run on eBay a number of times without selling and I also saw this on RoadBikeReview as a complete bike before it popped up on eBay. It appears to have changed hands several times and I believe the original owner was a female here in Florida.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Ape and Essence

Look at Ergott's
Old 04-12-2006, 08:37 AM
catulle

Naked can be pretty sexy, atmo...
Old 04-12-2006, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
What model are you getting? How gaudy do you want to go?
Probably a Nove or Legend (Ti or St)... I'm going to let Cycle Fit lead me on the choice of material.

Personally I don't want gaudy... I want it to ooze quality and timelessness yet still appear modern. It should age well, like a fine wine or something. But I don't want to lay all of this money down and feel it looks old when it's new, so it's the balance of a classic and modern finish that can manage to just give off a real sense of quality.

Arancio and Sapphire Blue seem a nice fit, and I want to see what the Harlequins look like up close as the tube cross section on the Serotta site doesn't really do it justice I think. I'd also like to see how the tinted carbons look.

Whatever I go for, the way it all works together is pretty important. The other two bikes I've been looking at are pretty unique beasts (Time's VXRS and Pinarello's Paris Carbon in White/Silver carbon), so the paint job of a competing Serotta should be equally unique, distinctive and exceptional.

Ah, words fail me... I just know I'll know what I want when I see it... but that's just it, I haven't really seen it yet.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Have you played around with Serotta's paint shop tool? If not, I would suggest giving this a try. I used the Arancio and Sapphire Blue as the base colors and they worked nicely together with a number of paint schemes. Give it a try and see what you come up with.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:55 AM
catulle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK
Probably a Nove or Legend (Ti or St)... I'm going to let Cycle Fit lead me on the choice of material.

Personally I don't want gaudy... I want it to ooze quality and timelessness yet still appear modern. It should age well, like a fine wine or something. But I don't want to lay all of this money down and feel it looks old when it's new, so it's the balance of a classic and modern finish that can manage to just give off a real sense of quality.

Arancio and Sapphire Blue seem a nice fit, and I want to see what the Harlequins look like up close as the tube cross section on the Serotta site doesn't really do it justice I think. I'd also like to see how the tinted carbons look.

Whatever I go for, the way it all works together is pretty important. The other two bikes I've been looking at are pretty unique beasts (Time's VXRS and Pinarello's Paris Carbon in White/Silver carbon), so the paint job of a competing Serotta should be equally unique, distinctive and exceptional.

Ah, words fail me... I just know I'll know what I want when I see it... but that's just it, I haven't really seen it yet.
Naked ages well like a fine lady. Those bare Ti Legends with the Ti-like decals look great.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:56 AM
PROTECT THIS HOUSE!!

I can't find it in the gallery now....but the nicest Serotta, imho, was owned by SPOKE (I think!), it was a light blue colored anniversary frameset..
Old 04-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

I love the flames on my Ottrott, but my CSI repaint turned out pretty nice also:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...hlight=repaint