Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2015, 08:36 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescuefin View Post
Started this thread two years ago....have had the parts for 7 weeks, but we are still moving into a new (to us) home. So, I have been spending a little time here and there. Finished it for the most part this am. Saddle and headset are placeholders. Need a new clamp for the seatpost to accept larger rails. I have a Inset 7 on its way to replace the Cane Creek 40. Stem may/most likely will change. I was planning on putting Handlebra on here, but couldn't get ahold of Ray...would still like to at some point, so Lizardskin it is for the time being.

If money was no object this would be a JKS/X and not a Salsa, but I'm not complaining...and this build would have taken an additional 2 years

Warbird Ti 55cm
Dura Ace 9001 shifters
9000 Rear Der.
CX 70 Front Der.
Dura Ace 7950 SRM Crank with Praxis Rings 52/36 (also have the 50/34)
HED Ardennes + wheelset / Shimano Icetech 60mm Rotors/ Challenge Gravel Grinder Race 38x700 Tires
Ergon CF3 Seatpost
TRP HY/RD brakes
Salsa Cowbell 2 Handlebars
Geoff, looking very good man. 2 years in the making.... sounds epic. Did you have a documentary crew with you to record this grail quest for posterity?

On a more serious note, I have some questions about your motivation. This looks like a no compromises, go fast gravel bike. Is that how you envisioned it? What other bikes are in your stable? That might help to give me an idea of how you envisioned it fitting in.

As I ponder another bike, I have something in mind that is more of an all purpose machine. I'd like it to be able to handle fenders, big tires, even throw a rack on it. Would like it to be a competent cx bike, touring/around town frame, as well as early season crap conditions and a bike that can handle the gravel roads as well.

I wonder sometimes if I'm asking too much from a frame. I've even considered the idea of having it built with two forks (one for fenders) and the other geared for more aggressive riding. Also, have been considering the option of having two wheel sets set up for it, one for cx/gravel tires and one for around town/bad weather.

It seems like discs are gaining wider acceptance, but I still have some questions about what happens if they have issues out in the field.

Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts about how your bike fits in and any suggestions you might have for my thinking.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
If money was no object this would be a JKS/X and not a Salsa, but I'm not complaining...and this build would have taken an additional 2 years

Warbird Ti 55cm
Dura Ace 9001 shifters
9000 Rear Der.
CX 70 Front Der.
HED Ardennes + wheelset / Shimano Icetech 60mm Rotors/ Challenge Gravel Grinder Race 38x700 Tires
Ergon CF3 Seatpost
TRP HY/RD brakes
While I agree that a JKS would be another fantastic option, this Warbird looks every bit as (an possibly more) suited to the task of tackling the path less traveled.
Excellent choice of wheels&tires btw...
Old 03-17-2015, 01:53 PM
Mr Dobalina

All...thanks for the comments!

Matt,
Yes, I was thinking of a go fast gravelbike/ All-Rounder bike. I wish I had a "stable", but it's just this and my road bike, which was built to be a go fast road bike:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpo...0&postcount=46

I've cut the steerer down, but it looks similar to what is shown above.

For a variety of reasons, most of my rides are shortish (40-65 miles) and at a pretty good clip. I've migrated to riding with folks that usually target those types of rides. I don't do a ton of exploring/meandering, which has much more to do with having 3 young boys (6,4,2) than it does with me not wanting to do that type of riding. I think this is going to fit the bill well. My first real test of the bike will be the Red River Riot on April 4th (60 miles)

https://www.spinistry.com/category/redriverriot/

I'd like to try to do the full Dirty Kanza route in the next few years, but that would require some focused training (more longer rides in the saddle).

There is a big gravel scene here, which I am looking forward to being a part of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Geoff, looking very good man. 2 years in the making.... sounds epic. Did you have a documentary crew with you to record this grail quest for posterity?

On a more serious note, I have some questions about your motivation. This looks like a no compromises, go fast gravel bike. Is that how you envisioned it? What other bikes are in your stable? That might help to give me an idea of how you envisioned it fitting in.

As I ponder another bike, I have something in mind that is more of an all purpose machine. I'd like it to be able to handle fenders, big tires, even throw a rack on it. Would like it to be a competent cx bike, touring/around town frame, as well as early season crap conditions and a bike that can handle the gravel roads as well.

I wonder sometimes if I'm asking too much from a frame. I've even considered the idea of having it built with two forks (one for fenders) and the other geared for more aggressive riding. Also, have been considering the option of having two wheel sets set up for it, one for cx/gravel tires and one for around town/bad weather.

It seems like discs are gaining wider acceptance, but I still have some questions about what happens if they have issues out in the field.

Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts about how your bike fits in and any suggestions you might have for my thinking.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:58 PM

Nice Geoff! Many happy (and dirty) miles to you!
Old 03-17-2015, 02:21 PM

firerescuefin, I like your style

Quote:
Started this thread two years ago....have had the parts for 7 weeks, but we are still moving into a new (to us) home. So, I have been spending a little time here and there. Finished it for the most part this am. Saddle and headset are placeholders. Need a new clamp for the seatpost to accept larger rails. I have a Inset 7 on its way to replace the Cane Creek 40. Stem may/most likely will change. I was planning on putting Handlebra on here, but couldn't get ahold of Ray...would still like to at some point, so Lizardskin it is for the time being.

Warbird Ti 55cm
Dura Ace 9001 shifters
9000 Rear Der.
CX 70 Front Der.
Ergon CF3 Seatpost
TRP HY/RD brakes
Old 03-17-2015, 03:07 PM

Warbird

Love the build! I finally have mine dialed in and build complete. Got out for a quick 20 at lunch today, first ride outside in about 2 months due to road conditions. Running my Ti Warbird with a set of Clement USH 35s right now and they were just a blast today, rough roads, lots of sand/potholes/ice/water still and they just rolled over everything and roll quick... really liking those tires for my rides which around here are pretty much mostly road/path with little dirt local to me... but the way the roads are in the NE right now, they feel like cobbles with the mess they're in.

I'll post build pics of mine soon... campy 11, ritchey/thomson mix/avid bb7 sl... such a fun all around bike... and I'm like you, have my Ti serotta for my fast bike, and this Ti warbird as my all around bike... not allowed to have any other bikes as of yet...
Old 03-17-2015, 04:45 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
All...thanks for the comments!

Matt,
Yes, I was thinking of a go fast gravelbike/ All-Rounder bike. I wish I had a "stable", but it's just this and my road bike, which was built to be a go fast road bike:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpo...0&postcount=46

I've cut the steerer down, but it looks similar to what is shown above.

For a variety of reasons, most of my rides are shortish (40-65 miles) and at a pretty good clip. I've migrated to riding with folks that usually target those types of rides. I don't do a ton of exploring/meandering, which has much more to do with having 3 young boys (6,4,2) than it does with me not wanting to do that type of riding. I think this is going to fit the bill well. My first real test of the bike will be the Red River Riot on April 4th (60 miles)

https://www.spinistry.com/category/redriverriot/

I'd like to try to do the full Dirty Kanza route in the next few years, but that would require some focused training (more longer rides in the saddle).

There is a big gravel scene here, which I am looking forward to being a part of.
Thanks for that response. I hear you.... still, 60 miles at a good clip is nothing to shake a stick at.

Maybe I'm not using it right, but I take my Kirk on plenty of crap roads and dirt at full speed on conti 4 season 28's... After a few miles I'm wishing I had something like your set up.

Dirty Kanza sounds like a great personal challenge.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:55 PM
caffeine fueled

Quote:
Warbird Ti 55cm
Dura Ace 9001 shifters
9000 Rear Der.
CX 70 Front Der.
Ergon CF3 Seatpost
TRP HY/RD brakes
Gorgeous, ideal build, congrats. That will serve you very well. I like your choices.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:34 PM

I like it a lot
As a fellow ti warbird owner I'm sure you're going to love it

Quote:

Warbird Ti 55cm
Dura Ace 9001 shifters
9000 Rear Der.
CX 70 Front Der.
Ergon CF3 Seatpost
TRP HY/RD brakes
Old 03-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Mr Dobalina

Thanks for the positive comments. Can't wait to break it in!
Old 03-19-2015, 04:25 PM
ZhugeLiang

It's time for us to get back to our normal programming....

Any updates anyone?
Old 03-19-2015, 05:47 PM

Old 03-19-2015, 09:57 PM

Lionel, how do you like that? Particularly the handling on the road? I've seen more and more of those on my commute.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:39 AM

Crux

I am not Lionel but I will chime in since I have a carbon Crux.
It is the most road capable cross bike I have ever ridden.
Descends and corners on road as if it were a road bike- stable but not sluggish.
Also terrific in the dirt.
I live right in your area (Fairfax).
I use mine for a ton of mixed road and dirt stuff. Mt Vision, Randall, Bolinas Ridge, etc. Also ride south- Hawk Hill, Green Gulch, etc.
I have nothing but good things to say about this bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingomck View Post
Lionel, how do you like that? Particularly the handling on the road? I've seen more and more of those on my commute.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:57 AM

Geoff, great Warbird build my man! That thing is the hottness and I guess the name "Warbird" kinda fits doesn't it...

Get that thing dirtied up asap boy!

KRhea