Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
This is my biggest thing about group riding. nobody ever sees anything on the ride, all too busy trying to show off
Find a different group
Old 06-19-2017, 09:05 AM

I'm back, baby! (slow but happy!)

Back is improving through PT and I was able to get out Friday evening for a short roll around town. Took Sat off and put in a nice and slow Sunday afternoon ride.

Looked back and I went to doc on 4/4 without being able to tie my own shoes or walk without 8/10 pain and now I'm on trainer for 30 mins a day with 30 mins of stretches/yoga based off PT. Using my standing desk instead of sitting has made a big difference along with posture tips from PT.

Want to say thanks for the community and advice to all who shared.

Next up is how to get a fishing rod attached to the bike for those rest/stretching stops!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:31 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I have lower back issues as well. I ride by myself at my own pace and let my body tell me how long to ride for. Position and fit are very important when you have issues with your body.
Position and fit as a priority should not be looked as remedial but as preventative. Ride correctly, fit & position-wise, and never get into the the circumstance where your back was ever put at risk in riding a drop bar sporting bicycle. Perhaps too late as advice for the OP but there are other readers of this forum that might still benefit from hearing this.

Quote:
Stay focused and don't try to do too much too fast. Once you feel like you can push yourself then slowly start doing so.
Mostly agree but the nuance is if riding requires overt and strenuous action on the back to ride then the rider contact point geometry alignments and the bike fit & position are suspect. Road cycling is legs, heart and lungs and mostly everything else is relaxed and just comin' along for the ride.

To the OP, welcome back to two wheels and enjoy the ride.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:42 AM

Congrats! ive been looking for ways to get the rod attached for my rides here soon too.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
Congrats! ive been looking for ways to get the rod attached for my rides here soon too.
i'm thinking the rod holder is the easy part. carrying the catch home would be a bit more of a challenge!
Old 06-19-2017, 10:18 AM

After I shattered my pelvis, I set goals of high cadence and slowly ramped up my power while riding on the trainer... Took me a while to get comfortable on the road/trails again...
Do yoga and push yourself. You should know the point where the pain goes bad, but lower back injuries are going to hurt for everything (including exercises that are good for it...).
MD advice is biased to avoid the possibility of reinjury, which doesn't foster recovery.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:22 AM

I've been going thru lower L5 SI problems for a year.
Couple good points to focus on.
1) Don't stress!
2) Don't put yourself in a position that your not ready for; don't go out with your buddies who are stronger, have been riding, and want to do rides that are beyond your ability.
3) Ride by yourself and put no expectations on your ride.
4) You'll have setbacks, be patient and don't give up. when your back says I don't want to ride today, don't. When you have a good day enjoy the bike.
5) What others have said; stay hydrated and do stretching plus core work.
6) Realize that it'll take time, your not going to get your fitness back in a day or a month. Write the year off and just try for small but steady improvements.

I feel for you.
You'll get stronger!
Old 06-19-2017, 01:22 PM

I've had L4/L5 - L5/S1 issues for over 10 years, and the things that help me the most are:
-stretching glutes/hamstrings
-foam rolling quads
-avoiding very climb-intensive days
-keeping my weight down
-and if you can swing it, sports massage can be really helpful to get into damaged tissue
Old 06-19-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
worth a look:

Thanks for this recommendation. As a stiff, middle-aged desk jockey, I've been looking for a comprehensive stretching guide. Hopefully this will get me limber.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:59 PM
ZhugeLiang

don't worry about "performance", make it fun again.