Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2017, 10:33 AM
Not a robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
If you have any budget whatsoever, I so strongly suggest this. Ditched my rusting T2 for $200 bucks, bought a 1up, drinking the koolaid. You can fold the damn thing up and store it in your trunk. It's revolutionary.
Totally agree. It's light, so easy to move around. It folds, which provides storage flexibility. It's modular, which provides even more storage flexibility. When mounted to the vehicle, it folds up compactly & close to the bumper (if you don't want to take it off). This last feature mates well with their wall-mount for storing in the garage, keeping things nice & organized (and again, it's light, so moving it from the car to the wall-mount is easy-peasy).

Sorry to further the thread drift here, but these things are just that damn good. One shouldn't need to shop for a forklift to help with bicycle rack installation & storage.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolly View Post
Totally agree. It's light, so easy to move around. It folds, which provides storage flexibility. It's modular, which provides even more storage flexibility. When mounted to the vehicle, it folds up compactly & close to the bumper (if you don't want to take it off). This last feature mates well with their wall-mount for storing in the garage, keeping things nice & organized (and again, it's light, so moving it from the car to the wall-mount is easy-peasy).

Sorry to further the thread drift here, but these things are just that damn good. One shouldn't need to shop for a forklift to help with bicycle rack installation & storage.
Emphasis on the light weight. I understand that may be important to some people, but I don't know, maybe do some push ups?
Old 06-16-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
Emphasis on the light weight. I understand that may be important to some people, but I don't know, maybe do some push ups?
Light weight = my 8-year-old carries the 1Up to the car when we are racking up for a trip. She loves being part of the process. That isn't going to happen with a T2.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:17 AM
Member?

https://www.1upusa.com/product-quikr...verdouble.html - 48 pounds

http://kuatracks.com/products/hitch/sherpatm-2-0/ - 32 pounds
Old 06-16-2017, 11:34 AM
Not a robot

I have this one https://www.1upusa.com/product-quikracksilver.html - 23 pounds. I have two of these https://www.1upusa.com/product-addonsilver.html - 18 pounds each. I typically have the base rack & one add-on mounted together, for total of 41 pounds. The third add-on is rarely used, but folds up nice & compact & sits on a shelf.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I have this one https://www.1upusa.com/product-quikracksilver.html - 23 pounds. I have two of these https://www.1upusa.com/product-addonsilver.html - 18 pounds each. I typically have the base rack & one add-on mounted together, for total of 41 pounds. The third add-on is rarely used, but folds up nice & compact & sits on a shelf.
This also!
Old 06-16-2017, 12:38 PM
v a n i l l a

I saw this thread and thought, hey, that's a question I've always had and DOH..it's my thread from years ago.

I got my T2 the first year Thule bought the design from the previous company (sportrack?). It was on sale, free ship, no tax via ORSracksdirect.com
The 1up was relatively unknown to me, never on sale, and the price gap was pretty large. I think when I was looking there weren't many comments on it on this forum.

Having seen a 1up in person now, I have to say that if you use your rack frequently, that is the one to buy. for all the praises you read about here. I would stretch budget to cover the gap.

infrequent use, the T2 is fine if you have storage. i roll mine on a dolly I got from Costco for $20 to get from the driveway into the garage corner.

Last edited by pdmtong; 06-16-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:17 PM
Member?

Quote:
I was attempting to make an "apples to apples" comparison. I think the T2 holds two bikes in standard configuration. The racks I linked to hold two bikes as well.

Clearly, a one bike rack will have a lower weight.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:16 AM

I'd love a 1up - I have an older T2 2" and the 2 bike add on. If anybody wants a T2 in SE Wisconsin.....
Old 06-17-2017, 07:12 PM
Not a robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
I was attempting to make an "apples to apples" comparison. I think the T2 holds two bikes in standard configuration. The racks I linked to hold two bikes as well.

Clearly, a one bike rack will have a lower weight.
That's cool. I was just pointing out that my 2-bike config of the modular 1-Up was even lighter than the dedicated 2-bike one you cited. Clearly both the 1-Up and the Kuat are significantly lighter than the listed 56 lbs of the T2. And, if you routinely carry only one bike, you have the option with the 1-Up to configure it that way & have a really lightweight rack to put on & take off the car.

FWIW, the rack I had prior to the 1-Up was one of the original Sportworks. At the time, it was an awesome improvement over the "hang by the top tube" models that were so common. But man, heavy, heavy, heavy. At least it was awkward to wrestle around too.

It looks like the Kuat is a really excellent execution of that original Sportworks design (telescoping arm for the front wheel), but after having used both types I can firmly say I much prefer the design of how the 1-Up holds the bike.

Again, apologies for the continued thread drift, but I stand by my initial recommendation that the best way to move an uber-heavy rack around is "to not to" - get one of these two light & excellent racks & don't look back. It's still some of the very best cycling money I've ever spent - truly one of those "why on earth didn't I do this sooner??" things.

Last edited by woolly; 06-18-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:27 PM

That's why I have a 1UP. Folds up and sits in it's boxs in corner of garage. The 2 bike part and the extra bike addition....take up very little space.

Tags
bike storage