Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2017, 10:27 AM

MTB around Steamboat Springs?

I'll be there in about a month, please tell me about MTB riding in the Steamboat area.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:47 AM

very briefly: It's fantastic.

As soon as you get there pick up a free Trail Guide (from any bike shop and other locations). That also has nice (dirt) road rides in it.

Start with Emerald Mt trails. You can't really go wrong on any of those. But make sure to ride: Morning Gloria, Lupine, NPR, Larry's, Eye to Eye. And then explore the more techy trails. Also the backside of Emerald Mt has two GREAT, longer XC style trails (Ridge and Beall).

Then explore the other trail systems... Enjoy!
Old 06-16-2017, 11:28 AM

Great riding but you need to get used to the elevation before going for it.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:59 PM

wombatspeed gave a good synopsis but there's more than just Emerald. There is a bike park on the ski mountain with rentals available if you don't have a big travel bike already. There are other trails further up the mountain that are not DH specific. The bike park and gondola are scheduled to open on July 15th. There are a bunch of fun trails north of town in the vicinity of Steamboat Lake. The Continental Divide trail that runs from Dumont Lake on Rabbit Ears Pass to the ski area or Buffalo Pass is an awesome ride but you will need to shuttle. This past winter was pretty low on snow from February on so the Divide trail may be open. Usually it's still snow covered in July. Check with any of the shops to find out for sure.

I live in Steamboat and I'm happy to help if you have any specific questions.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatspeed View Post
very briefly: It's fantastic.

As soon as you get there pick up a free Trail Guide (from any bike shop and other locations). That also has nice (dirt) road rides in it.

Start with Emerald Mt trails. You can't really go wrong on any of those. But make sure to ride: Morning Gloria, Lupine, NPR, Larry's, Eye to Eye. And then explore the more techy trails. Also the backside of Emerald Mt has two GREAT, longer XC style trails (Ridge and Beall).

Then explore the other trail systems... Enjoy!
WOW!
And right there next to town.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcad View Post
Great riding but you need to get used to the elevation before going for it.
Yep, I've ridden in the mountains a good bit, just not around Steamboat. My favorite trick to acclimatize is to get there and jump on the bike ASAP. Works every time. Especially coming from 900 feet ASL.

Last edited by HenryA; 06-16-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12snap View Post
wombatspeed gave a good synopsis but there's more than just Emerald. There is a bike park on the ski mountain with rentals available if you don't have a big travel bike already. There are other trails further up the mountain that are not DH specific. The bike park and gondola are scheduled to open on July 15th. There are a bunch of fun trails north of town in the vicinity of Steamboat Lake. The Continental Divide trail that runs from Dumont Lake on Rabbit Ears Pass to the ski area or Buffalo Pass is an awesome ride but you will need to shuttle. This past winter was pretty low on snow from February on so the Divide trail may be open. Usually it's still snow covered in July. Check with any of the shops to find out for sure.

I live in Steamboat and I'm happy to help if you have any specific questions.
I am almost certainly driving out to coincide with a business trip for SWMBO who will already be in the area. I'd really like to get a ride on the Continental Divide trail. Does someone do shuttles? Is there a way to short cut it a little? I'll be riding by myself and 26 miles in the mountains might be a bit much. (just looked at it on mtbproject).
Old 06-16-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
I am almost certainly driving out to coincide with a business trip for SWMBO who will already be in the area. I'd really like to get a ride on the Continental Divide trail. Does someone do shuttles? Is there a way to short cut it a little? I'll be riding by myself and 26 miles in the mountains might be a bit much. (just looked at it on mtbproject).
I believe that these guys do shuttles. http://tailwindtours.com/
Or you could always pay Go Alpine, the local taxi service, or find an Uber to take you up there. Unfortunately, there is no way to short cut it. You could do an out and back which would avoid the need for a shuttle. Ride from Dumont Lake to Long Lake and then head back. That would be approximately 16 miles.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
WOW!
And right there next to town.
Yeah, Emerald is my go to after work ride. Most weekends, too. You can mix and match different loops to put together anywhere from a 45 minute to 5 hr ride and you're never more than 10 miles from town. The only directional trail is NPR, it's an intermediate downhill flow trail. Super convenient and very easy to access.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure you get up and ride some on Rabbit Ears Pass. It is really beautiful up there and Steamboat is at such low elevation, you don't want to cheat yourself of the experience of being in the mountains.

I bought my first real mountain bike there at Sore Saddle in 1996 and never had a bad ride around the 'boat. You will have fun.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:08 PM

Lucky you! Steamboat is EPIC. And weed is legal too.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:59 PM

Departure time nears and it seems a lot of Colorado is on fire. Are there closures in effect? Areas to avoid? Best wishes for all Colorado folk.

My trip includes Grand Junction. What's happening over there for riding next week?
Old 07-07-2017, 05:27 PM

Yup, there's quite a few fires in Colorado. The biggest threat to any riding is the one by Breckenridge. The town is currently under pre-evacuation orders meaning be prepared to leave at any moment. Here in Steamboat, there's a fire that is approximately 30 miles away as the crow flies. It's a remote area and there's no riding that's restricted. The biggest problem is the smoke. It's generally not too bad, though.

Grand Junction is hot this time of year. It's best to get your riding in early or wait until the evening.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:28 PM

Here's website to check the status of the fires in Colorado.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/state/6/
Old 07-07-2017, 05:30 PM

I was there for a week in the summer of 1988 or 89. I had heard of mountain bikes so I rented one. Loved it. Went home and bought the MB-3 that I just sold to a Forumite. I'll bet you can get plenty of local info from the bike shops in town. If they got anything like the snowfall the Sierras got some higher trails may be closed by snow.