Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2015, 06:20 PM
slower than you

Nobody has mentioned that, since this is Florida, odds are awfully strong the driver possessed a gun. I'm guessing it wasn't under his seat, thankfully.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Nobody has mentioned that, since this is Florida, odds are awfully strong the driver possessed a gun. I'm guessing it wasn't under his seat, thankfully.
Not FL. Rome, GA. And I also already mentioned that in FL we have lots of armed crazies.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:44 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
Not FL. Rome, GA. And I also already mentioned that in FL we have lots of armed crazies.
Anyone in any state could have a gun. Its probably wise to assume that before getting into an altercation anywhere.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
Anytime we get buzzed on the group rides I always try and grab a license plate number and call it in just so there's a record of the driver harassing cyclists. A few months ago we had a driver blare the horn and then ride right up on our wheels. When someone yelled at him he swerved at us and literally drove 3 cyclists off the road. I was able to get a plate and called it in and an officer responded but couldn't find the driver. A few days later one of our group called to follow up and the officer asked if he'd like to file charges and he said yes. Three of us testified to an assistant states attorney and last we heard the driver had to hire a lawyer because he was being charged.

Moral of th story: stay calm and get a license plate number and you just might get some justice.
Dark colored Pontiac Solstice FD VA plate 9-0XX is gonna get a talking to on Thurs from my buddy the town cop.

Passing me at the crest of a hill with less than 3' of space? From a firefighter?! How stupid can you be?!

M
Old 04-27-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Few years back doing a long ride in the country, car driving A-hole began to hassle me, kept buzzing me for several minutes until a pair of leathered-up bikers on Harleys rolled up alongside of him and told him to f**k off.
A-hole just about ···· himself, couldn’t drive away fast enough. Thank the bikers, promised them a case of beer next time but never saw them again.
Maybe it's because they also feel vulnerable, or maybe it's because they're on two wheels, but in all of my years I've never had a motorcyclist who wasn't unfailingly polite and accommodating towards me.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:01 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
Maybe it's because they also feel vulnerable, or maybe it's because they're on two wheels, but in all of my years I've never had a motorcyclist who wasn't unfailingly polite and accommodating towards me.
You need to go read 'bicycles on the road' in 'the perfect line' sub-section of ADVRider.

Eye opening. You'd *think* motorcyclists would understand. Bicycling and motorcycling have the same basic problems... but evidently, 'they' don't get it. The irony escapes them.

M
Old 04-28-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
I'd tell him this one:

"What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin'
*******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow
torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn
sight. I'ma get medieval on your ***."
Lol yup, exactly!
Old 04-28-2015, 10:27 AM
Mr.Chicken Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Few years back doing a long ride in the country, car driving A-hole began to hassle me, kept buzzing me for several minutes until a pair of leathered-up bikers on Harleys rolled up alongside of him and told him to f**k off.
A-hole just about ···· himself, couldn’t drive away fast enough. Thank the bikers, promised them a case of beer next time but never saw them again.
Great story. I've also had nothing but good luck with bikers. Very nice folks on the road when I ride. Generally Always wave back.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsocks View Post
Great story. I've also had nothing but good luck with bikers. Very nice folks on the road when I ride. Generally Always wave back.
It's true! Maybe it's a case of them relating more to cyclists than drivers. 2 wheels and all.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:57 AM

My dad was riding in a pick up with of a buddy of his, back in the 70s, when this guy kept driving recklessly and aggressively towards them. The guy pulled up next to him and was threatening my dad's friend through the open window on the driver's side (my dad was the passenger). Little did this guy know, my dad's friend was a Vietnam vet who didn't comeback quite the same as he had left. He wielded a sawed off shotgun and pulled a Dick Cheney and blasted the dude with birdshot. The guy wrecked into a telephone pole or something and they took off. My dad wasn't exactly expecting that. He told me the rest of the ride was pretty quiet...

www.deliberatelydomestic.com
Old 04-28-2015, 12:41 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAllen View Post
My dad was riding in a pick up with of a buddy of his, back in the 70s, when this guy kept driving recklessly and aggressively towards them. The guy pulled up next to him and was threatening my dad's friend through the open window on the driver's side (my dad was the passenger). Little did this guy know, my dad's friend was a Vietnam vet who didn't comeback quite the same as he had left. He wielded a sawed off shotgun and pulled a Dick Cheney and blasted the dude with birdshot. The guy wrecked into a telephone pole or something and they took off. My dad wasn't exactly expecting that. He told me the rest of the ride was pretty quiet...
Except for that awful ringing in his ears?
Old 04-28-2015, 01:13 PM
Mr.Chicken Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAllen View Post
That's horrible man. He shot someone for running his mouth. Actually pulled the trigger on a Sawed off shotgun? That's extremely irresponsible and insane. Sick.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsocks View Post
That's horrible man. He shot someone for running his mouth. Actually pulled the trigger on a Sawed off shotgun? That's extremely irresponsible and insane. Sick.
Yeah it really shook my dad up quite a bit. Honestly with the mental state of that guy, I don't think he would rationalize it in the same way that the rest of us would. It's one thing to give a guy a beating when fighting back, but a whole different mess to harm someone with a weapon. Just yet another example of how not knowing the thoughts in someone's head can be dangerous in an escalated situation. This guy shooting someone is pretty equal to using a car to intimidate. Buzzing someone won't kill them and most likely neither will birdshot but both are equally unthinkable to me.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Except for that awful ringing in his ears?
yeah no kidding.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:31 PM
Cycling Noob

Reminds me of what happened the other night when I was driving home. A guy in a mustang was tail gating me in a 35mph zone. I was going about 28, because the truck in front of me was going 28... dude behind me yelled at me at the 4 way stop afterwards telling me I should "try #*#*ing driving the speed limit". Sorry you don't get physics dude, two objects can't occupy the same space at the same time... if you try, metal gets smashed... His poor girlfriend was sitting there in the car with him like omg i don't know this guy.

Lesson? People are stupid...