Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 06-25-2017, 11:22 PM

Moots CR 2011

I picked this up off a PSA tip that lead to a direct sale from a distance. The gent was facing some hard times and needed to move it. I took the purchase risk and helped him out, knowing it'd need a bit of sprucing after garage neglect, and in return got a nice setup that will find a good home if it doesn't stay in mine. I also picked up his Rigormootis, which likewise needs a bit of an overhaul but is otherwise solid.

Pretty straightforward build: Full DA9K, C35s, Masterpiece and X2, EC90SLX3 bars, SMP Dynamic.

17.2 lbs as it sits.

I still have some work to do - new cables, anti-seize'ing everything, new chain, etc. And I grabbed a new Moots fork since they were on sale and this one was cut aggressively short.

I took it out for 30min tonight - it handles great, it's smooth and quiet, it's lively, and every other positive descriptor.

I just don't know where or if it fits in the stable given how much I like the Legend...and it's a lot of bike to have around as a "+1" if it isn't my daily driver, and the fit is on the aggressive side as far as drop goes for it to be that everyday bike for me (I'd probably need to size up) vs. a short-distance speeder.

Last edited by Clean39T; 06-28-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:25 AM

You are a mad man.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:30 AM

I did a catch and release on a vamoots in 2011. 6 years later I am still regretting it.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:10 AM

haha, you are on fire this year, love it! we never know what we will like until we try it. you are a lucky man to get to try so many flavors. and thinking about us here at the paceline if it doesn't work out? such a pal.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:16 AM

Wow, great bike in a stable of great bikes.

As a long time Moots guy this is one I wouldn't let go but I also think the Vamoots is about the best frameset ever... so completely bias.

I'd ride it for a while and then decide
Old 06-26-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
haha, you are on fire this year, love it! we never know what we will like until we try it. you are a lucky man to get to try so many flavors. and thinking about us here at the paceline if it doesn't work out? such a pal.
So many bikes..and they are all gorgeous!
Old 06-27-2017, 11:54 AM

that's a beautiful bike
Old 06-27-2017, 12:34 PM

RETIRED :: Now For Sale in Classifieds as Frame/Fork

EDIT :: NOT SO FAST>..

Last edited by Clean39T; 07-01-2017 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:17 PM

that was fast... obviously not the right fit.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
that was fast... obviously not the right fit.

Yeah, too much bike for the occasional race and ripping around town rain or shine. I should grab a Merckx SC for that...and build it with less bling...
Old 06-27-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Yeah, too much bike for the occasional race and ripping around town rain or shine. I should grab a Merckx SC for that...and build it with less bling...
CAAD10. No bling, all go.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:27 AM

Took the Serotta out for another tester ride last night, and while my opinions on the smoothness of the frame haven't changed, I do have to admit that it's pretty far on the "endurance" bike side of things for me. I still like going fast, feeling fast, etc. - and I want to retain a bike that fits that purpose. Whether that is this one or a Team SC or ???, we shall see. I did take a look at some geometries from recent bikes I've had though, and it was enlightening.

This bike actually fit me really well exactly as shown - so well that two 90+mi rides were done pain-free and fast (for me):

When looking at the Geo tables, it's pretty obvious I could set the Moots up identical to this and probably have a very nice fast-bike fit for me.

I need to get some more things spruced up and replaced before selling this anyway (if that's the direction I go), so I can put that decision off a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 22.34.43.png (71.8 KB, 591 views)
Old 07-01-2017, 12:50 AM

Decided to build this up to the same fit specs as the Kestrel and see how I get on with it - is it possible that all the other Ti frames I bought are too big for me?? Ack.

First though, a note about Moots. Their customer service is insanely good. Emails answered within an hour. Product shipped same day and at my door two days later. Knowledgeable. Friendly. And they sent me a new BB cable guide at no charge when I ordered new Ti barrel adjusters for the frame.

Alright. Build and pics tomorrow. Record11. Neutron Ultras. Deda stuff for now. Should be quite the looker...
Old 07-01-2017, 09:10 PM

I'm locking in. This is the one. The rest are headed to the classifieds. I don't know why I didn't just use my fit from the Kestrel as a template straight off, but spending 40mi and 3,500ft of ups on this today just confirmed that it's how I like my road bikes to fit. The Merlin, Serotta, Yamaguchi, and Holland are great bikes - but they are all too long in the TT and tall up front for how I like my road-only bikes to feel.

I have a few things to swap out still: narrower bars and a Moots stem coming from the Forum, a SMP going on, different Arundels, a Moots post from the Bay, and Time pedals - but those are just easy changes. I'm going to swap in the new Moots fork to give me room for 5-10mm of spacers above and below. And I think that's it!

I loved being back on a 39/53 up front, and the 12-29 is plenty for the steepest stuff around here. I'll probably put a 12-25 or 12-27 on there for general use and save the 12-29 for special occasions. The 177.5 cranks felt good too - or I should say, I didn't notice a difference, so they're staying.

More to come as the final pieces come together and I get more miles in with her.

Happy day!
Old 07-01-2017, 09:51 PM

Nice. This is probably my favorite aesthetically. A lot of that is down to proportions.