Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 06-19-2014, 12:31 PM

Cielo Cross Classic

A bit over a year ago I built up a 1x9 Bianchi Cross Concept. Nothing crazy, just a decent frameset with some nicer components I used on it (Paul/Nitto/Retroshift/MKS/Sugino/etc). It was all well and good, then it got stolen off my car in my driveway... Only upside of that was my home owner's insurance covered it. I decided to splurge a little and use the funds to put in my order for a Cielo Cross Classic. The guys at Chris King even finished it early for me -- 30 days after order I picked up the frameset at the factory.

In it's original incantation I built it up like so:

Old 06-19-2014, 12:32 PM

Continued due to 10 pics per post limit...

Since then I've been refining it as I go and making changes here and there to really dial it in to my liking, both in fit and in aesthetic things.

Switched to Salsa Cowbell levers and swapped the stem to a beautiful Fairweather branded Nitto stem from Blue Lug in Japan:

Next I swapped out the Ultegra rear cassette for a Dura Ace 7900, added a Dura Ace 7900 front derailleur, 7800 rear derailleur and swapped from the Retroshift 1x10 setup to Dura Ace downtube shifters. Also swapped to a KMC gold chain. The Retroshift stuff is rad and I really liked it, but it just didn't quite fit this bike in my mind. I'll still use the Retroshift stuff on another bike but I'm really liking the downtube shifting on this bike now.

Swapped to a Fizik saddle too:

As it stands now, on a ride from a couple weeks ago:

Super stoked on this bike as it is, but still have a couple plans for it in the future. For now though, I just love riding it.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:30 PM

Congrats.

I can see why you are loving it!

The dt shifter build is my favorite. That frameset builds out as a great all arounder. One of the guys I ride with bought one of these from a local shop last year and I get to ride it occasionally. The ride is top notch and the finish on the frameset is first rate as well.

Thanks for all the pics. It gives me some ideas for a little project I am cooking up as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
Old 06-19-2014, 07:06 PM
Old and Tired

Awesome build. I definitely have a Sportif classic on my shortlist.

Two quick Q's for you ... how did you find ordering things from Blue Lug, and have you ever considered running it singlespeed with the short horizontal dropouts?
Old 06-19-2014, 07:35 PM
aka RAEKWON

beautiful!
Old 06-19-2014, 07:42 PM

I dig it. Now it needs a mango ck bottom bracket and a 7800 crankset with black cross rings.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:24 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Congrats.

I can see why you are loving it!

The dt shifter build is my favorite. That frameset builds out as a great all arounder. One of the guys I ride with bought one of these from a local shop last year and I get to ride it occasionally. The ride is top notch and the finish on the frameset is first rate as well.

Thanks for all the pics. It gives me some ideas for a little project I am cooking up as well.
Thank you. I really love the downtube shifter setup too. All rounder really is a good way to describe this bike. It is capable of all kinds of options with it's tire size abilities, etc. "Classic" really describes it . All the details on the frameset by CK are top notch and extremely well complimented by other classic and timeless pieces by outfits like Paul Components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marburg View Post
Awesome build. I definitely have a Sportif classic on my shortlist.

Two quick Q's for you ... how did you find ordering things from Blue Lug, and have you ever considered running it singlespeed with the short horizontal dropouts?
Ordering com Blue Lug was easy and painless. I emailed them and told them what I wanted to order and they emailed back with a shipping quote. I PayPal@ed the money and had the order on my doorstep a couple days later.to answer your other question, I don't plan on ever running this one single speed. One of my other bikes already scratches that itch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
beautiful!
Thanks duder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I dig it. Now it needs a mango ck bottom bracket and a 7800 crankset with black cross rings.
No kidding. The mango bottom bracket is on top of the short list. A different crankset is right after that or at the same time depending.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:29 AM

Hey - great looking stead! That orange sure looks terrific - well done!
Old 07-07-2014, 11:01 AM

I like this!

Seatpost stands out a bit as the only large silver part. I love the new stem! What size tires?
Old 07-14-2014, 03:41 PM

These things are wonderful to look at, I bet it's just as awesome to ride. Love it
Old 07-14-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netdewt View Post

Seatpost stands out a bit as the only large silver part.
BTW, what is that seat post? Looks nice and shiny. Wish I had a black to trade you, assuming you'd be interested.

LOVE the CK Cielo's. Recently saw a burnt orange one that looked swell too.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
BTW, what is that seat post? Looks nice and shiny. Wish I had a black to trade you, assuming you'd be interested.

Its a Paul.

I still stand by my comment. Leave the silver post. Get a mango ck bb and 7800 crank arms. It would be perfect.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasproject View Post
Hey - great looking stead! That orange sure looks terrific - well done!
Thank you! I really like the orange too -- well, technically it's "mango" according to Chris King. I'm super pleased too the orange Paul Comp used on the moon units is a good match. Doubly pleased that the dudes at Paul were happy to accommodate my special request to do the seat post top clamp in orange too as a special order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netdewt View Post
I like this!

Seatpost stands out a bit as the only large silver part. I love the new stem! What size tires?
Thanks. True, it's the only large silver part but to me it matches. I'm running matching Paul polished cantis, the brake levers are silver and additionally there are a few polished highlights on the frame/fork itself too that echo the polished silver (seat stay caps/dropouts/headtube rings/etc).

I like the stem too -- tall stack, fillet brazed and tubing size on it are a really nice match for the aesthetic and classic look of the bike to me.

The tires are 28c

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCannonCam View Post
These things are wonderful to look at, I bet it's just as awesome to ride. Love it
Thank you -- it's wonderful to ride. Feels just like a well built, classic steel bike should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post

As noted below, it's a Paul seatpost in high polish and I'm keeping it

I love the whole Cielo line too really. Specifically though I really really like the Cross Classic and the Sportif Classic. The "racer" series is really nice too, but the classic series is more my personal style.

Quote:
Its a Paul.

I still stand by my comment. Leave the silver post. Get a mango ck bb and 7800 crank arms. It would be perfect.
Mango BB is on the shortlist for sure. It's totally stupid, but I have to say as much as I love Dura Ace components the Dura Ace cranksets just really don't do it for me. If Paul comp made their crankset in a 2x10 setup I'd jump on that in a second. While I know they're working on a ring to work with their crankset to run 1x10, I'm sticking with 2x10 on this bike. At the moment I'm thinking a White Industries VBC crankset would be pretty choice on this bike. I mean, it's about perfect on this Cielo, and I think would be perfect on mine too:

Old 07-15-2014, 10:55 AM

That would be a great crank option as well. I change my vote.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
That would be a great crank option as well. I change my vote.
I see great minds think alike