Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 12-23-2016, 05:46 AM

I deal with this also. I believe it to be a cervical spine issue rather than a localized nerve pressure in my hands. Either way, I have bar drop on all my bikes. I also have the saddles where I like them. For me I'm finding the fix is a less aggressive drop on my most aggressively ridden bike: my mountain bike. As well as constant strength training throughout the year and lots of upper body stretching into the post ride routine. I also get this numbness occasionally when I cut the grass or lay flat on my back in bed. The tension in my muscles during an activity probably exacerbates it.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:02 PM

I thought I'd just give a short update for anyone experiencing similar issues.

Okay so I just finished a short tour: 913 km over 7 days/6 riding days, so at a much slower pace than before (1400-1700 km/week) which prompted me to start this thread originally. I'm also wearing gloves now, not for padding but for warmth: Rapha deep winter gloves with 2 pairs of Uniqlo heattech gloves as liners.

I followed some of the advice in this thread, namely slightly tilting my handlebars and adjusting the position of the brake lever and it seems to have helped. Noticeably, my hand position on the hoods involves more contact of the big below thumb/palm muscle rather than the inside of the hand. At the end of a week, I have no issues with my hands. I probably won't be able to really compare until the summer when I can take more time off and put in really long days.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:20 PM

Interesting. I too find that minor adjustments to the bar angle and hoods makes a material difference as to any numbness or tingling in the wrists and hands.

Also, if I'm going slower, I experience more of these issues, but I must be lighter on the bike when riding faster, so both my butt and my hands feel better on those sorts of rides.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:51 PM

Summer now. How are the hands? :-)
Old 07-08-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
Summer now. How are the hands? :-)
They seem to be okay. Sometimes I'll feel a bit of numbness when riding and change positions but nothing that lasts after riding. That being said, I haven't been riding as much as last year, at least on consecutive days.

I have LEL coming up at the end of the month so I can report back after that.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:49 AM

No hand problems after LEL. I didn't wear gloves, the bars were covered in shellaced cotton tap, and I frequently changed hand positions (although this is short have become a habit so I didn't have to think about it much).
Old 08-07-2017, 12:34 PM

Some of my greatest cycling memories come from riding around Utrect and Nieuwegein as a child. That country is simply set up for cycling.
In reference to your numbness.. Does your neck position make your hands numb as well?
Old 08-07-2017, 04:19 PM

I've never had a problem with my neck, or at least not for a long time.