Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2024, 11:28 AM

HED Vanquish Performance vs Pro noticeably different?

Hi all, I'm new to the forum.

I'm leaning towards the RC4 Performance for $1,750, as on paper, the only difference I can see is Hed Performance hubs on vs the Sonic on the Pros, and the Pros are 87g lighter. Same bladed CXRay spokes, same hooked rims, same 6902 bearing size? Please correct me if I'm mistaken!

What, if any, tangible difference is there between the Pro vs Performance? Any maintenance or other things that I should know?

For me, the $900 difference can go to food, travel and race fees, etc.

Cat4 racer, riding in rolling terrain, but I enjoy traveling for climbs. Wheels will be used year round for training on the road with 32mm 5000GP TR, occasional gravel rides, and racing cyclocross. I push modest wattage at 70kg/175cm.

https://hedcycling.com/collections/r...ormance-series

https://hedcycling.com/collections/r...-rc-pro-series
Old 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM

I have owned both; there is no tangible difference. I now use their Performance line of wheels on all my bikes; have three sets -- Vanquish RC4, RC6 and Emporia GA Performance. Over three years, I have had to do nothing other than basic maintenance and the bearings are all in great shape.

In short, I highly recommend them.
Old 03-05-2024, 11:49 AM

Thanks for your input! Do you have a general preference for the RC4 or RC6 in windy conditions? Experienced riders I trust in my side say to go for the RC4.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:22 PM

I can handle the RC6 (I am a bigger rider which helps), but the RC4 are better in cross winds for sure.
Old 03-05-2024, 01:00 PM

The web site has changed, but the HED web site used to have specs. on the rims, with lower claimed weights for the Vanquish Pro vs. the Vanquish Performance. But based on the total weights for both, the difference in performance would be insignificant.

I have both 40mm and 60mm versions of the Vanquish wheel sets, plus an 80mm Vanquish rear wheel. The 60mm version is a little more sensitive to wind, but I haven't found it to be problem. But some riders are more sensitive to cross-winds than others. I race criteriums with the 60mm front and 80mm rear in all wind conditions, and never found cross-winds an issue. (This includes racing at Ninegrit park, which New England racers will tell you is wide open and always windy - and with an 8 corner dog-bone shaped course, has a cross-wind almost half the time.)
Old 03-05-2024, 01:38 PM

If I remember correctly, all in all the Pro versions are about 150g lighter than the Performance.