Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM

Fasted training: ?

So I somewhat understand fasted training; apparently for 20 years in the Army that's all I did wake up workout then eat. really didn't know it was called that but ya know. Also generally have always cycled early in the morning and didnt eat until I came home minus my drink mix.
So the question is, is Fated training just water only minus coffee of course? if so I am okay with water as most of my rides are under 2 hours. 99% of my rides to be exact. but I am a heavy sweater is it okay to add Saltsticks or something to the sort to prevent cramping?
Thanks to the Brainiacs...
R/
Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM

Not what you asked but fasted training is kind of an antiquated concept.
Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Im sure but at 50 and my longest ride is 30 miles under 2 hours......
Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimon View Post
So I somewhat understand fasted training; apparently for 20 years in the Army that's all I did wake up workout then eat. really didn't know it was called that but ya know. Also generally have always cycled early in the morning and didnt eat until I came home minus my drink mix.
So the question is, is Fated training just water only minus coffee of course? if so I am okay with water as most of my rides are under 2 hours. 99% of my rides to be exact. but I am a heavy sweater is it okay to add Saltsticks or something to the sort to prevent cramping?
Thanks to the Brainiacs...
R/
Even with a prolonged 5-day "water only" fast, it's perfectly fine to have electrolytes, so it seems like it wouldn't matter for a fasted workout.

As glepore mentioned, some think it's an antiquated concept. Can't find it right now, but I think the latest evidence was that it has a tiny benefit, but if you want work out harder with food, that's probably a better trade off.
Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Lots of reseach on the subject in the last ~5 years or so.

Decent summary…
https://www.parkview.com/blog/the-fa...asted-training

Tl;dr - generally not beneficial, but there are some use cases. But, if you’ve been doing it for years, and aren’t looking for any specific gain/event/goal, no good reason to change either.

To the OP’s question - the “fasted” is all about having depleted glycogen stores, so as long as your salt mix is just electrolytes, you’re still fasted (assuming it’s been many hours since your last meal).
Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM

It sounds as if fasted training may challenge recovery to some degree. If the nature of our recovery after exercise changes as we age, then it may be worth being wary of fasted training as we get older.

It's become more noticeable to me that staying fueled during exercise helps support my energy and recovery, which I think has become more of a need for me (I'm almost 50). It certainly may be different for you.

ETA: just realized I was thinking about something you weren't even wondering about--my bad!

Last edited by Jad; Yesterday at 08:55 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Lots of reseach on the subject in the last ~5 years or so.

Decent summary…
https://www.parkview.com/blog/the-fa...asted-training

Tl;dr - generally not beneficial, but there are some use cases. But, if you’ve been doing it for years, and aren’t looking for any specific gain/event/goal, no good reason to change either.

To the OP’s question - the “fasted” is all about having depleted glycogen stores, so as long as your salt mix is just electrolytes, you’re still fasted (assuming it’s been many hours since your last meal).
Thanks this is what I am trying to do. thanks for conveying that.
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM

Don't know anything about this other than to say two customers have brought this up in the last 10 days or so. Must be out there.
Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM

I guess I have been sort of doing this most days without realizing it. I ride to work, only ten miles, but I pretty much wake up and have 15 minutes to get out the door and get to work on time. I don't eat anything but coffee till noon.
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM

When I was stationed at Pearl Harbor, I lived in Ewa Beach and would bike commute six days a week. Unless it was September and we were out of money (federal budget), I worked at least a half day on Saturday. I had a six am meeting every day so I'd leave the house at 4:30 for my 50-minute commute. I didn't eat anything until 8 or 9 am, and usually, it was a bowl of cereal and milk or granola and yogurt. I knew about the professed benefits of riding on an empty stomach, but I think my body adapted to it more than any benefit.

I remember reading about pros doing long rides without food and somehow it made them more efficient, but much of that has been challenged since.
Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

Salt and minerals, like water, contain no calories. So you can consume electrolytes and water to stave off cramps and you are not "eating".

Last edited by dgauthier; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM

Fasted riding works fine if you aren't looking to eke out every ounce of performance and recovery. When I was running ultramarathons I did the majority of my medium and long runs fasted or under-fueled because I prefer to run without carrying anything. Two hour rides without calories should be no problem under most circumstances.
Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM

Depleting your glycogen stores has been shown to slow recovery and has no benefit.

If anything, research is showing that eating more than what was once considered too much is better for during and after exercise.

When I was a junior, 30+ years ago, my coaches would make us do 4 hour rides with no food or water to make us tougher. Lots of bonking and cramping for no benefit.

Today, my son's coaches have him eating 80 to 100 grams of carbs per hour on every ride sub threshold.

Getting into zone 4 he's consuming 120+g per hour at 62kg.

If you're just puttering around for 2 hours, you can definitely do it fasted. The question is why? There isn't any benefit and there are plenty of detrimental effects.
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
Two hour rides without calories should be no problem under most circumstances.
This.

You should have enough stored glycogen to get through 2 hours of steady/easy riding. So it wont hurt anything, and unless you're training to ride under-fueled (ultras, bikepacking, etc) you wont gain anything either.
Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I remember reading about pros doing long rides without food and somehow it made them more efficient, but much of that has been challenged since.
You are correct, They did indeed this back in the day, but the science now shows that doing that was a huge mistake and pretty silly.