Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekindy
My bad, I looked at my original reply and should have worded it differently. I should have said before the work is ready to begin; in other words when my point in the que is reached that a firm delivery date can be given + or - a few weeks.

I don't have any hesitation for paying for work that is done; in fact I believe very firmly in it.
Cool, 99.9% of the people I've dealt with in my two businesses have been honorable and great to work with. We all should should plan for the best and prepare for the worst. It's a shame that a few guys make the interwebs and give us all a bad name.

It's too bad Steelman is shutting, I never get tired of looking at his frames.

Facebook

smoked out
Old 02-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbysecondrow
I agree in concept, but I think there is a culture of suffering in silence regardingsome builders. In addition, there is a culture of shouting down somebody with issues. I ran into this with the issues I had with Paul Taylor. I googled and searched and almost nothing but good things. The deal went sour and I started a thread here suggesting we review builders for this very purpose. My one thread on Taylor generated no less than 10 PMs outlining all the issues folks were having with him, all of them asking I keep it quiet out of fear they would get neither a frame nor money back.

My original thread on this issue.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...ghlight=taylor

I wonder, now that the Paceline is unaffiliated, would an area for customer feedback be warranted/needed/wanted?

William
Old 02-15-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
I wonder, now that the Paceline is unaffiliated, would an area for customer feedback be warranted/needed/wanted?

William
I think this is a great idea.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 AM

This is indeed a shame. I've always admired his work, hope he's ok.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:58 AM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by William

William
Ahead of you, just started that thread.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=104346
Old 02-15-2012, 11:59 AM

I have found in my dealings with very small ventures that the owners are much better at their product or service production than they are at running a business. I believe this is especially true of an artisan type business like frame building. Many in the bike building business are more oriented to the artistic side of things more than record keeping and accounting. As a result often mistakes and misunderstandings in order details are common.

The builders that succeed are often those that run their business well.

Wayne

Last edited by waynesulak; 02-15-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:02 PM

I've had the pleasure of owning TWO of his frames. First one was stolen from my vehicle (very sad day) and the replacement (very happy day) an SR model is the bike I currently am riding. Fantastic riding frames. Sad news if true.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer
I've had the pleasure of owning TWO of his frames. First one was stolen from my vehicle (very sad day) and the replacement (very happy day) an SR model is the bike I currently am riding. Fantastic riding frames. Sad news if true.
I've had the pleasure of owning TWO of his frames. First one was stolen from my house and recovered damaged (very sad day) and the replacement (very happy day) a Eurocross model is the bike I currently am riding. Fantastic riding frames. Sad news if true.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:28 PM

Good friend/riding buddy/club member told me yesterday that he got the notice from Brent that his order is cancelled, his biz is closing and a refund will be sent.

Really to bad but it sounds like he has good reasons that revolve around taking of himself and getting healthy.

I wish him the best, he's a good guy, really good builder and has/had a passion for the sport we all love and it showed in his work.

KRhea
Old 02-15-2012, 12:41 PM

I almost had to part with mine in December when our lender informed us a few days prior to closing on a house that we had to come up with more money. Luckily, my year-end bonus saved me from having to sell. I am glad I still have it.

Brent was very nice with me and spent a great deal of time fitting me, drawing maps of rides around the SF Penninsula for me, and just generally talking about bikes. He clearly loves bikes and knows how to build them. I hope he finds his way back to the bench so he can continue his craft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steelman Photos 50.jpg (66.2 KB, 497 views)
Old 02-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jam's Army
I almost had to part with mine in December when our lender informed us a few days prior to closing on a house that we had to come up with more money. Luckily, my year-end bonus saved me from having to sell. I am glad I still have it.

Brent was very nice with me and spent a great deal of time fitting me, drawing maps of rides around the SF Penninsula for me, and just generally talking about bikes. He clearly loves bikes and knows how to build them. I hope he finds his way back to the bench so he can continue his craft.

That is sweet!!

William
Old 02-15-2012, 01:02 PM

well, i have no dealings with brent or steelman, but i've only heard good things about the man and the work. wishing him the best.

here's a favorite of mine ever since i first saw it. i don't know how much of this aesthetic is the framework and how much is the paint, but i can't stop staring.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:14 PM
cmg

always an admirer of his work. He advertises in Peleton magazine. For while he was building carbon custom frames said he could make more money but the work wasn't fun. So he went back to steel. maybe he'll resurect it a later date.

Last edited by cmg; 02-15-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jam's Army

Are you running Mavic Open Pro rims? The low profile combined with the tan sidewalls looks really great with that frameset.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashcha
Are you running Mavic Open Pro rims? The low profile combined with the tan sidewalls looks really great with that frameset.
Mavic Reflex NOS rims.
Closed Thread