Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
When riding on un-improved trail surfaces, front shifting still works, but it does become more problematic. High drag/low speed situations (such as riding uphill on loose surfaces) doesn't allow for the changes in power to the ground that front shifting often entails (rear shifting is difficult enough in these situations).

In addition, rapidly varying terrain doesn't require the ability to finely adjust gear sizes, so large jumps between gears are better tolerated (and often desired).

These two factors combined make wide ranged rear cassettes not only tolerable, but often desireable. If the rear cassette is wide enough to give the full range of gearing desired, and the size jumps between gears are tolerable, why bother with a front derailleur?
This is why I love 1x on my mountain bike. I wouldn't consider it on a road bike outside of a city bike. I could live with a single speed or 3spd however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danield View Post
Third the tubular neutrons. I'd actually love to see a budget alloy tubular for CX.

I'd also like to see a budget 11 speed cassette. It seems they could just combine Veloce and Athena into entry level 11 at this point if 12 speed is on the horizon.
Veloce and Athena are virtually identical outside of the gear count. 11 is likely here for a while given a whole new generation just came out, but I could see 10 going away. I'm also with potato. It wouldn't surprise me to see an entry level fulcrum group. Realistically, they could probably eliminate Veloce, make Athena silver only and then release a black version of Athena under the fulcrum name.

I also think it's too early to say "wake up" regarding discs. Campagnolos core market it road/race. Top end race frames with disc tabs are just starting to hit the market. If they announce a group at eurobike, I would say they are just in time. I am yet to see a road bike (not cross) in the wild equipped with shimano's hydraulic setup. Campagnolo doesn't need to branch into new markets to increase their customer base, there is room in their existing market. There are pleanty of companies that are more singular focused than Campagnolo that survive.

My guesses in the next few months:

I am guessing we see more of their wheels adopting their new rim width spec, I think we will see a disc setup, and it also wouldn't surprise me to see a larger range cassette. 11-32 if I had to guess.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 08-25-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
Second the post re tubular Neutrons. Will Campy announce a wider Rim?
Boras are already 24.5mm.

Cheaper 11 speed consumables would be nice. Those Chorus cassettes put a hurt on the wallet.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:07 PM

I want a Super Record groupset that weighs much less, lasts far longer, has greatly reduced drivetrain friction, is vastly stiffer for quicker shifts, is more much aerodynamic and costs a lot less.

Other than that I have no wishes.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:13 PM

Campagnolo Espresso

I want a Campagnolo Espresso machine with an ergo filter basket handle, hydraulic brass boiler, and a built in indexed (11 setting, heck, let's go to 12 settings) grinder.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:43 PM

I still want 47/57 caliper brakes.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:54 PM

something better go 11

new alu four arm cranks

no more 10
Old 08-25-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Campy has always done their own thing, for good or ill.

The last thing they need to do is chase someone like SRAM.

I'd be happy with Record hubs in a variety of drillings.
YES silver or black...oh and the Campy corkscrew carbon edition...

Last edited by soulspinner; 08-26-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:23 PM

That might be the best narrative of what kind of company campagnolo is that I've ever heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Except this one.

Campagnolo has been kinda iconic for a while. They are not the 'everything to everybody' type company. They just deleted one of their low end groups while improving the top 3. They care zero for 'gravel grinding', a little in cross, not much. Their forte is SR/Record/Chorus..They don't care about 'gravel grinding' the same way Porsche isn't interested in making a truck or Rolex making a electronic watch. Small company with a much different philosophy. If that doesn't suit some riders, like Rapha, they say 'oh well'. It's not always about the $/Euro/Lira/etc.

They appeal to more riders by making better stuff, the stuff they make.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:28 PM

I want to see a new carbon internals reworked campy delta brake....

Please make something that looks that good again!!!!
Old 08-25-2015, 03:58 PM

For the time being, I am done buying expensive bikes, as I have other places my money needs to go (they usually jump on me at 6am every day), BUT if Campy comes out with a reliable hydro disc brake setup, I am game. I will sell off the other crap that I am hoarding to make that happen, as Campy shifting and REAL disc brakes would be the ultimate combination.

Other than that, I am happy with what they provide now. I used my first-gen Chorus 11spd yesterday, and it worked like a damn.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
For the time being, I am done buying expensive bikes, as I have other places my money needs to go (they usually jump on me at 6am every day), BUT if Campy comes out with a reliable hydro disc brake setup, I am game. I will sell off the other crap that I am hoarding to make that happen, as Campy shifting and REAL disc brakes would be the ultimate combination.

Other than that, I am happy with what they provide now. I used my first-gen Chorus 11spd yesterday, and it worked like a damn.
a damn what?!? The suspense is killing me!
Old 08-25-2015, 04:20 PM

Same wish I've had for years, SR11 level group in silver.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:48 PM
Air Force

A modern tool kit that come is a wood travel case.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
Second the post re tubular Neutrons. Will Campy announce a wider Rim?
wider than the wide announced last year?
Old 08-25-2015, 05:49 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
wider than the wide announced last year?
They haven't changed the width of the basic alloy - zonda, eurus, neutron, shamal, have they?

Tags
campagnolo, eurobike 2015