Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2017, 02:09 PM

Mirror on flared dropbars

Has anyone used a Sprintech or similar mirror on wide flared dropbars, e.g. Salsa Woodchippers? I don't know if they are adjustable enough to compensate for the angle of the bar ends.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:17 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
Has anyone used a Sprintech or similar mirror on wide flared dropbars, e.g. Salsa Woodchippers? I don't know if they are adjustable enough to compensate for the angle of the bar ends.
I haven’t used them on flared bars, but there should be enough adjustment on the Sprintech. I have them on all my road bikes and just checked the side to side adjustment, there’s a lot.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:19 AM

The answer is no. They fit in the bar end just fine (duh), but the flare is too much for them to adjust and view while riding.

I guess I'll put it on my road bike and start wearing a mirror on my glasses again for my commute. I was really hoping to avoid that look.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:23 AM

Nothing's better than when it seems to take longer-than-usual to chase somebody down when riding, only to get closer to see them giving it all they've got in a non-consistent effort, and then noticing that they've got a mirror. Then, like magic, as soon as you catch them, they're 100% spent.

But for safety, I can see it as a benefit. To make sure that person behind you stays behind you, not so much.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:31 AM
Small ring

Sorry, I really thought there would be enough side to side movement.
I'd be happy to buy it from you.

Last edited by zmudshark; 10-26-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
The answer is no. They fit in the bar end just fine (duh), but the flare is too much for them to adjust and view while riding.

I guess I'll put it on my road bike and start wearing a mirror on my glasses again for my commute. I was really hoping to avoid that look.
I use a Sprintech on Cowbell and Cowchippers along with Easton AX bars. I have no issues with any of the three. I'm surprised you can't get it to work the way you want.

EDIT - I assumed/misread that you were talking Cowchippers not wood chippers. Not surprised it doesn't work on that bar actually

Last edited by commonguy001; 10-26-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
Sorry, I really thought there would be enough side to side movement.
I'd be happy to buy it from you.
I appreciate the offer, but I'll just use it on my road bike instead of my commuter.

I'm still trying to decide how much I like the woodchipper bars. I really like the concept and they are pretty comfortable, but I they are pretty extreme. I've used them on all kinds of terrain for long hours and have been comfortable with them. My main complaint is that they are so dang wide that they're a pain when trying to lock the bike to a shared rack. I'm also concerned about ridingo on a narrow trail with lots of brush. Maybe the cowchippers would work better for me, but I'm not willing to invest the time and money to switch to something that might not be an upgrade.

I hope to give them a lot of heavy use bikecamping next year. After that I'll have a better idea of whether I want to try something else, maybe even some Jones bars.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Seems like every post about mirrors gets this so....happy Friday!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0696d496850843ef8507d1c9b272f378--safety-first-s-mod.jpg (55.5 KB, 74 views)
Old 10-27-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Seems like every post about mirrors gets this so....happy Friday!!
Could you give me a quote for building me a wheelset with a dynamo hub that can power that light array?
Old 10-27-2017, 01:43 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Could you give me a quote for building me a wheelset with a dynamo hub that can power that light array?
Sure, lot$....
Old 10-27-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
Nothing's better than when it seems to take longer-than-usual to chase somebody down when riding, only to get closer to see them giving it all they've got in a non-consistent effort, and then noticing that they've got a mirror. Then, like magic, as soon as you catch them, they're 100% spent.

But for safety, I can see it as a benefit. To make sure that person behind you stays behind you, not so much.
From doing this myself I have a 6th sense when a $#@$@^ is doing that up ahead. I see the rabbit and gradually speed up. After a block or so and I'm not gaining any ground instinct kicks in and I know that the cyclist has a Take A Look mirror casually mounted out of view. Depending on the ride and if I want to burn a match or two will dictate the next steps. Drop to the next smaller cog, hunker down even more in the drops and see what happens or throw wild to the wind and do my best Cavendish max effort to catch up. It's always a Take A Look mirror. The best sneakers have it mounted so they don't have to give up their identity by tilting their head slightly to the left to check what's going on behind.

When I get home I will inform my wife of said battle that took place and the outcome. Then she shakes her head "why???" I pull this rabbit bs all the time myself. If we're on the Tandem and I see someone back there trying to make grounds you can be sure I'm going to make you burn several matches.