Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2016, 02:02 PM

OT: UPS - a good experience

we've been out of town and had random people coming and going while we're gone in the interest of security. empty the mail, put any packages inside, turn on different lights, etc... we have different people doing this, neighbors, sisters, yada yada.

well, i was expecting a ups delivery in my absence. the tracking showed that it would arrive the first day of our trip (of course) and that it required a signature (aarrgh!) sure enough it arrived on time and attempt 1 was a monday. attempt 2 the next day, and 3 on wednesday. thereafter it goes back to sender. i had intermittent internet access this whole time and i'm watching the daily updates show that the "recipient wasn't available".

final day and final attempt shows up and i fully expect the box sent back. but then i see something different. the last day, after the third "recipient not available" there is a second attempt in the afternoon. the package is signed for and received. what?!?! i just thought it was dumb luck that he returned the same time someone was at our house. but when i get home, i see all the door stickers that the delivery man had left mixed in with my mail. the last door sticker had a hand written note to the effect of :
"call me if you get this today and i can come back (cell number)"

sure enough, my neighbor got it, called, and he came back later that same day. that little bit of effort probably saved me a couple weeks of back and forth ground shipping. good for him! thank you ups.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:35 PM
Small ring

As a retired UPS driver, thanks for the kudo. I'm not sure it fits the kudo algorithm or the popular perception.

Most UPS drivers care more about the customers than you would imagine.

Glad a good driver still exists. (I've been gone a decade).

Pro tip: leave the driver a note next time, he won't have to haul it around for a few days (handled min 6 times/day by part-timers), and you will have peace of mind. One time I asked that my driver leave it in my unlocked driveway car and lock it. No Problem. A close neighbor who is home is good, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
we've been out of town and had random people coming and going while we're gone in the interest of security. empty the mail, put any packages inside, turn on different lights, etc... we have different people doing this, neighbors, sisters, yada yada.

well, i was expecting a ups delivery in my absence. the tracking showed that it would arrive the first day of our trip (of course) and that it required a signature (aarrgh!) sure enough it arrived on time and attempt 1 was a monday. attempt 2 the next day, and 3 on wednesday. thereafter it goes back to sender. i had intermittent internet access this whole time and i'm watching the daily updates show that the "recipient wasn't available".

final day and final attempt shows up and i fully expect the box sent back. but then i see something different. the last day, after the third "recipient not available" there is a second attempt in the afternoon. the package is signed for and received. what?!?! i just thought it was dumb luck that he returned the same time someone was at our house. but when i get home, i see all the door stickers that the delivery man had left mixed in with my mail. the last door sticker had a hand written note to the effect of :
"call me if you get this today and i can come back (cell number)"

sure enough, my neighbor got it, called, and he came back later that same day. that little bit of effort probably saved me a couple weeks of back and forth ground shipping. good for him! thank you ups.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:55 PM
Picshooter

Hey Brown Santa....All Good Kids Like Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
As a retired UPS driver, thanks for the kudo. I'm not sure it fits the kudo algorithm or the popular perception.

Most UPS drivers care more about the customers than you would imagine.

Glad a good driver still exists. (I've been gone a decade).

Pro tip: leave the driver a note next time, he won't have to haul it around for a few days (handled min 6 times/day by part-timers), and you will have peace of mind. One time I asked that my driver leave it in my unlocked driveway car and lock it. No Problem. A close neighbor who is home is good, too.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:08 PM
head to toe Assos

Send an "attaboy" letter to UPS Corporate.
USPS and UPS ladies and gents in my building are all terrific. Always have a moment to chat with them and remember them at the Holidays. They always go out of their way to make sure I receive my packages.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:11 PM

Consider a vacation hold next time you're out of town.
USPS, UPS and FedEx have this option that can be done via their web sites.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:31 PM

Another retired UPS driver.....yes, we do care about our customers...good to hear it all worked out.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:02 PM
Older Than You

Never had a problem with a UPS driver but did with their system.
I worked a number of shipping/receiving jobs after I retired.

My first job was for a company that sent out a lot of next day air packages and envelopes. They weren't getting routed properly and were late. In those days we could get a refund of the shipping charges if UPS missed a scheduled delivery. I think you still can.

The UPS account manager paid us a visit and suggested a few things that helped. I was very new to this so his suggestions helped quite a bit.

He told us that right out of college UPS put him on a delivery truck. The first week he rode with another driver. The next 3 months he was on his own. He lost 30 pounds and got a good taste of what package delivery is like. Best shape he'd ever been in his life.

As far as I know UPS isn't doing this any more.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
Send an "attaboy" letter to UPS Corporate.
USPS and UPS ladies and gents in my building are all terrific. Always have a moment to chat with them and remember them at the Holidays. They always go out of their way to make sure I receive my packages.
As a retailer who dealt with UPS, USPS and FedEx..the people in the trenches were all really great. Hard working, knowledgable, Gave-A-S...I even invited them to my annual shop Xmas party..they can drink too!
Old 08-01-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
As a retailer who dealt with UPS, USPS and FedEx..the people in the trenches were all really great. Hard working, knowledgable, Gave-A-S...I even invited them to my annual shop Xmas party..they can drink too!
UPS, FedEx, DHL...all absolutely top-notch, courteous, professionals, 100% of the time.

USPS is generally OK, but in our neighborhood our standard carrier is not nicknamed "Crazy Mary" (or "Crazy MaryJane") for nothing. She's absolutely awful, really out of it all the time, but we have all gotten to know each other better because of her constantly mis-delivered items. The substitute carriers are excellent.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
cool
Old 08-01-2016, 09:30 PM

33 year UPS driver, recently moved to a clerical job inside. Many years ago, before cell phones, many of my customers offered to be contacts for my wife to call when she went into labor. I had 5 people chasing me around to tell me that the time was here. It's been that sort of relationship on every route I've had long term. I miss my customers and that aspect of my job. I actually still stop in and visit some of them. But after all those years of never getting home from work before 7pm, now I'm walking out of the plant at 2pm every day.

Glad you got your package

p.s. have attended some excellent company parties ..... folks seemed to get a kick out of trying to get me to drink up
Old 08-02-2016, 01:17 PM

My preference for delivery options, ranked:
1: UPS
2: FedEx
3: Anything donkey-based
4: Lashing the package to several European swallows and hoping for the best
5: DHL
999: USPS