Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2024, 02:53 AM

MTB double chain spider based ring power meter

As per the title. Is there such a thing. Feel free to laugh but I’m still riding mtb doubles (and triples on my 26”).

Bit of an experiment but I’d like to fit MTB gears on a bike packing rig with a close ratio cassette. I can see that power2max do SRAM and FSA afterburn MTB double options but im looking to keep a road q-factor. I realise there’s the option of P2M gravel power meter but they only do two chain ring options (48:31 and 46/30). Looking for ability to run slightly smaller chainrings
Old 05-14-2024, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslow View Post
As per the title. Is there such a thing. Feel free to laugh but I’m still riding mtb doubles (and triples on my 26”).

Bit of an experiment but I’d like to fit MTB gears on a bike packing rig with a close ratio cassette. I can see that power2max do SRAM and FSA afterburn MTB double options but im looking to keep a road q-factor. I realise there’s the option of P2M gravel power meter but they only do two chain ring options (48:31 and 46/30). Looking for ability to run slightly smaller chainrings
You can use SRAM Force AXS 2x crank and power meter with an Eagle RD. You’d be limited to 46/30 rings, but can use an Eagle MTB cassette.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Q factor is a function of the crank, not the power meter. If you install an MTB power meter spider on a road crank, it will have a road crank Q factor and road crank chainline. I've used several MTB/gravel spiders on road cranks to produce road Q factors and chainlines.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I realise there’s the option of P2M gravel power meter but they only do two chain ring options (48:31 and 46/30). Looking for ability to run slightlysmaller chainrings
In regard to P2M gravel power meters: P2M has two different types of gravel power meters: A spider with a 104mm BCD, to which is mounted a proprietary CNC'ed integrated double chainring (48/31 or 46/30); and a spider with 110mm/80mm BCDs that is compatible for mounting Shimano GRX chainrings. Although Shimano only makes 48/31 and 46/30 GRX chainrings, aftermarket manufacturers such as TA makes GRX compatible chainrings down to 44/28. The P2M GRX spider is only compatible with Rotor Aldhu cranks. Rotor makes two different interchangeable Aldhu spindles - a "wide" spindle which produces a 152mm Q factor and 46 chainline, and "standard" spindle which produces a 147mm Q factor and 43.5mm chainline.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:53 AM

I have a new SRAM X01(?) spider with 42/28 rings I've been hoarding. Had plans to mount it to Force22 arms. I guess you'd need a left-arm (Stages?) PM for that setup. I'm not well versed in PMs.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
In regard to P2M gravel power meters: P2M has two different types of gravel power meters: A spider with a 104mm BCD, to which is mounted a proprietary CNC'ed integrated double chainring (48/31 or 46/30); and a spider with 110mm/80mm BCDs that is compatible for mounting Shimano GRX chainrings. Although Shimano only makes 48/31 and 46/30 GRX chainrings, aftermarket manufacturers such as TA makes GRX compatible chainrings down to 44/28. The P2M GRX spider is only compatible with Rotor Aldhu cranks. Rotor makes two different interchangeable Aldhu spindles - a "wide" spindle which produces a 152mm Q factor and 46 chainline, and "standard" spindle which produces a 147mm Q factor and 43.5mm chainline.
Thanks — that GRX chain ring compatible unit from P2M might work. I’ve already got Aldu cranks hence my first thought was their NGeco unit with the 104 bcd proprietary chainring.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I have a new SRAM X01(?) spider with 42/28 rings I've been hoarding. Had plans to mount it to Force22 arms. I guess you'd need a left-arm (Stages?) PM for that setup. I'm not well versed in PMs.
Thanks for the offer but ideally want a spider based meter.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:34 PM

Power pedals might be your best bet. Allows you to use whatever drivetrain you want to use.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:46 PM

I think I'm reluctant to think about pedal power meters since you're way more likely to smash them into a rock on a MTB but you gotta admit if you really want this the pedal PMs make some sense.