Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2017, 03:53 PM
Classics Fan

Ok to ride with a stress fracture of the foot?

Curious if I am going to have to dial back my cycling when the doctor sees me about a suspected stress fracture. I'd prefer not to dial it back at all, but I'm afraid he's going to say I should.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:07 PM

One legged pedal drills here you come! Honestly I hope nothing of sorts for you...
Old 07-24-2017, 05:11 PM

I'd be shocked if they said you could ride normally. I guess it depends on where it is. Maybe experiment with a more mid foot cleat position if it's near the front of your foot? I rode through broken ribs last year. That sucked.

When my wife crashed on day 1 of our cycling vacation in CO a few years ago, the ER doc stitching her knee up told her that they would get her back on the bike the next day, no problem. They know their clientele!
Old 07-24-2017, 06:02 PM

Are you a professional who's contract for next year depends on you not missing time in the saddle? If not, I'd listen to the doctor, get it repaired, enjoy the time off doing other things, then come back ready to kill it.
If you try to "grind it out" with the bad wheel, you'll end up doing damage to other body parts( knee,back) by altering your normal pedal stroke.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:19 PM

Someday I'd like to live in a world where an average person was more willing to listen to an educated doctor than random people on the internet.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:24 PM

I am thing king of compensation injuries. If you ride and end up favoring the leg with the broken foot, it can add up to injury to your other leg, hip or lower back. Other parts of your body will have to take up the slack for the power that you are not producing from the area of injury. This can mean overuse or injury to the area doing the extra work.

The other thing that I'm great at is not taking time to recover from injury. I am still dealing with a hamstring/glute issue from February, 2016. I ignored it, and then went through months of treatment (PT, meds, dry needling), which helped. The problem is, I never took time off of the bike.

So here we are, in late July, and I am finally deciding to take the time off. I'm looking at about a month in total. I've just gotten to a point where life has gotten in the way (which it always does), but I'm also tired of being in pain every ride.

Life is about choices, and the consequences as a result.

Also, I don't know if any of us are doctors on this forum. If there are, none of us are the doctor that is treating you. I would take the doctor's advice. I have to strongly endorse the post above this one. The doctor has your medical history, mechanism of injury, access to diagnostic scans, and last but not least, you are paying him to examine you. You are not paying any of us.

Last edited by berserk87; 07-24-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:35 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Are you a professional who's contract for next year depends on you not missing time in the saddle? If not, I'd listen to the doctor, get it repaired, enjoy the time off doing other things, then come back ready to kill it.
If you try to "grind it out" with the bad wheel, you'll end up doing damage to other body parts( knee,back) by altering your normal pedal stroke.
No, not a professional. I have no pain while while riding, and really no pain any other time except for the random shooting pain I get while walking a few times a day.

I'm less concerned about grinding it out, and more concerned with enjoying the relatively short summer we have here. If I need to take time off the bike, I'll do it. But I'd rather not take unnecessary time off the bike, because I really enjoy riding this time of year.

I figure this board has a bigger sample size of cyclists with stress fractures than a general physician, and more experience on what has worked / not worked.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:42 PM
Forward the Foundation

I had metatarsal stress fracture a few months ago, went to the doctor.
He said wear a stiff shoe. Walking was dodgy, riding was ok.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:10 PM
Embracing my

Me too, a few years ago. Doc made me wear a boot for a few weeks but cycling was fine because of the shoes and being clipped in.

No pain on the bike, recovery was not affected.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:11 PM

I'd just echo being careful of compensation injuries. When I broke my elbow, doc got me back on the bike in six weeks, which helped because I was crawling the walls at that point. But my balance was all out of whack on the bike because the arm didn't have the same range of motion out of the gate. Ended up compensating with IT/hip and knee issues on that side, even had a couple guys in the paceline say riding behind me I was out of whack.

It doesn't take much really. Ride/don't ride is a personal choice, but be wary of the knock-on effects.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:43 PM

There's a crazy, cat lady lady that I encounter regularly thru cycling related stuff. Last winter she jacked up her foot, she ended up using a flat pedal on her bad foot with a sneaker. Her husband would gorilla tape her foot to the pedal...all so she could ride outside... on the road in sub 20 degree weather. We're talking lots of warm/soft snow, followed by crazy cold. The snow banks are like concrete, ice everywhere and the roads are like 20-30% narrower. I suggested enjoying the NFL playoffs or taking up scrapbooking until the foot healed. What's the point, she looked like a horse trying to run on 3 legs

Don't be a cat lady, take the advice and heal up. It will give you the time to polish up your boxes of cycling treasures, or go on vacation or something
Old 07-24-2017, 08:27 PM

I had a small fracture in my right hand last summer from an ugly single vehicle (my bike) crash, lol. My Dr told me not to ride - hand was in a brace for several weeks, but I rode anyway. Very carefully. I wasnt feeling any pain so just decided to keep riding. Up to you OP, if you want to risk it. I can guarantee you though, that your Dr will say 'no, don't ride'.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:48 PM

Go stiff, real stiff.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:03 PM

I would listen to your doctor. You only get one body...you should take care of it.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:19 PM

Did you hurt it while riding? My rule is that if I did not hurt it while riding, and it does not hurt while riding, it is okay to ride.

I would lay off walking, if that's what makes it hurt, before cutting out the cycling. ("Hey doc, it hurts when I laugh...")

If doc says no cycling I would ask why, and weigh the response accordingly.