Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2017, 03:48 PM

Keeping a bicycle close to salt water

I would like to build an inexpensive dedicated vacation bike, which always involves plenty of time very close to salt water.

So far - aluminum frame, carbon fork, aluminum bars and carbon post, grease the #$%@#$ out of all screws and hardware. Chain will also stay nice and moist.

What about spokes? Anyone who lives near the ocean have advice on how to minimize wheel rust?

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2017, 04:04 PM

Stainless steel spokes should hold up very well.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:27 PM

do you plan on leaving it outside or inside?

if outside, things will turn to crap no matter how hard you try to prevent it.

even inside a storage shed or garage will help.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:56 PM
You still here?

You can buy anti-rust/anti-corrosion bags in various sizes that will help prevent damage while your items are being stored.

We have bikes stored on the coast in Mexico that go unused for half a year or so. I apply Boeshield pretty liberally on surfaces, except for brake tracks. The solvents evaporate leaving a waxy residue that, so far, seems to keep rust at bay.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:12 PM

I know people who live at the beach with Condo's and garages. If the storage area is climate controlled, and doesn't get the fog, mist, and spray from the ocean, some have no problem at all. Others who keep stuff in a outdoor shed of sorts, with huge variations in temp and humidity, etc....can practically watch it rust and corrode away. A good scrubbing with a brush and soapy water once in a while don't hurt. Then spray it down with something.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:26 PM
Princess Sweat

i've only lived in Boston + Los Angeles so forgive me . . .

Is the salt content in the air significantly different at different locations along the coasts?
Old 07-26-2017, 05:36 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
i've only lived in Boston + Los Angeles so forgive me . . .

Is the salt content in the air significantly different at different locations along the coasts?
It can be; on shore or off shore winds, higher or lower humidity. On shore winds with high humidity will bring the higher salt content air and deposit it on things, where it will sit combining with the atmospheric moisture: instant rust and corrosion.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
You can buy anti-rust/anti-corrosion bags in various sizes that will help prevent damage while your items are being stored.

We have bikes stored on the coast in Mexico that go unused for half a year or so. I apply Boeshield pretty liberally on surfaces, except for brake tracks. The solvents evaporate leaving a waxy residue that, so far, seems to keep rust at bay.
The anti-rust bag is a good idea, as is the spray. I was thinking of turtle wax or some other spray on the metal bits? (never used boeshield, but I will google it)

I had a bike down in Florida for a month, in a downstairs storage room with lots of vents. At the end of the month, there was already loads of rust on the spokes and chain.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-27-2017, 10:38 AM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
The anti-rust bag is a good idea, as is the spray. I was thinking of turtle wax or some other spray on the metal bits? (never used boeshield, but I will google it)

I had a bike down in Florida for a month, in a downstairs storage room with lots of vents. At the end of the month, there was already loads of rust on the spokes and chain.

Thanks for the advice!
Wax doesn't work very well for rust prevention.

Boeshield was developed by Boeing (hence the game) to protect metal surfaces on aircraft. It does that job very well. I've got a camp ax that I coated with Boeshield over 10 years ago, use pretty regularly, which shows no sign of rust or corrosion. I can still feel the waxy residue left by the Boeshield.

On our bikes in Mexico I use my finger to apply Boeshield to the larger surfaces and a Q-tip to get it in the socket heads and the nooks and crannys. I don't use a rag to apply it as I believe the rag would absorb a lot of the protective ingredients and not apply them where I want.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:34 PM

Wow, it's not like Florida is a steel-free state, geez. All you have to worry about is rinsing after riding (which is the same everywhere) and keeping the sea spray off. We use a bike specific tarp. Forget the make, but they advertise in motorcycle and bike mags.